Ok....truth serum time

I have seen five elite Iowa teams in my lifetime: 1985, 2002, and 2009 were all top five teams that had varying fates in their bowls, but any of them could have gotten to the NCAA final in a 4-team playoff system given their talent. The other two were 1984 and 2008 which were elite teams at the end of their seasons, but prior to that point had problems with injuries or experience/other variables. But don't a lot of use think the end-of-year 2008 team could have/would have beaten the 2009 team? I think maybe so.

This year, KF and Co. did a great job putting a team together, but admittedly we won all our close games and that's the difference between 2015 and, say, 2010, or 2009 when we also won all our close games until Ricky Stanzi got hurt. We operate on a thin margin, always, between going 6-6 and 12-0.

However, we do need to make a change at OC. Watching Stanford's offense, not set up much different than our own, was an eye-opener. I don't know what we're afraid of, but never in a million-jillion years would we run a fake-fumble play like they did, in a Rose Bowl. We don't consistently put our talent into space like they do with McCaffrey, on swing passes and those little slants across the middle. We don't mix things up well, with counters and runs from the shotgun and play-action passes. I saw about six different plays from Stanford in about seven offensive plays at the start of that game, whereas we just get so stuck in off-tackle/stretch play/pass play mode with entirely predictable personnel on the field.

I'm no football genius by any means, but when an ignoramus like me is making in-game comments about our offense, and then I see a bona fide FB genius like HawkeyeGamefilm making the same comments in his twitter feed, that's saying more about our offensive play-calling and scheming than it is about my FB knowledge, since I don't know hardly anything. But I do know how to tell the forest from the trees, which our OC seemingly does not much of the time.

I am ready for someone like BF to take over the offense, since I see him champing at the bit to mix things up a la Stanford's offensive philosophy. I'd like to see what he could do for a few years, starting in 2016.

Well said. I hope so badly that GD steps down and Brian takes his place. Those that said Brian isn't ready, could he really do worse than that crap Davis put on the field Vs MSU and Stanford??? Time to get some youth and and new ideas into our passing game, much like he revitalized our running game this year.

This game showed that KF is still light years behind when it comes to offensive schemes. Running Canzeri the way they did was never going to work.

I don't think KF runs the schemes or calls the plays, formations. If he does, or controls Davis, which I don't think he does, then I agree. I do think KF has an overall philosophy for the offense, but there should be plenty of room for innovation within that philosophy. I don't hate Davis, but I don't believe he is skilled enough to be innovative within the philosophy and with the talent he has.

I do believe we need a new, innovative OC, that can recruit and that KF let's run the offense 109%, if that is not already the case.

Wow, Iowa has been outscored 98-17 in the first half of our last four bowl games. Hayden Fry lost three of them, none close. Be careful what you wish for, it might come true. Great job this year by coaching staff and players. I had a great time in Indy despite the loss and would love to go again. This time to face the Buckeyes.

I don't think KF runs the schemes or calls the plays, formations. If he does, or controls Davis, which I don't think he does, then I agree. I do think KF has an overall philosophy for the offense, but there should be plenty of room for innovation within that philosophy. I don't hate Davis, but I don't believe he is skilled enough to be innovative within the philosophy and with the talent he has.

I do believe we need a new, innovative OC, that can recruit and that KF let's run the offense 109%, if that is not already the case.

KF doesn't call the plays or decides the schemes. He does employ the OC and when he keeps him on staff year after year that is a validation than he thinks the OC is doing a good job.

I'm just happy that the OC in waiting is his son. If he wasn't we would have to wait until KF steps down to get a new OC. As it is hopefully Brian AT LEAST becomes the co-OC this year.

Correction, 98-17 in the last four Rose Bowl games

And in the last 4 bowl games, we have scored ZERO points in the first half. 98-0

our offense has always been the problem. We played a team that has talent and they KNEW exactly what we were going to do.

We can beat the lesser teams more often than not without changing anything. Will never work against the elite schools

That is why I thought Bobby Kennedy was brought in. Not only to upgrade recruiting, but to teach GD route concepts to receivers. Honestly, I don't see a difference between Eric Campbell and Kennedy. No creativity/imagination whatsoever either PA gets you open or good luck and hope theQB can throw a dime.

Just my 2 cents, but from what I've gathered from this thread, but we're seriously using Bama and Stanford as teams that prove how weak Iowa and MSU were? Seems legit to me.

I'm also seeing that there's people that would rather go 7-5 then 12-2 with one of those loses to a damn good Stanford team. Also makes sense.

Why does the season and results have to be about "how over-rated we were"? Whether or not I thought we were a legitimate NC contender or not all I wanted to do was get an opportunity to win the division and get the opportunity to play an elite program and see how we stacked up.

Why not enjoy the season. For those that were skeptical about how good this team was going into the season, like the OP was, why not just enjoy the ride. We're still in a better spot then we were and who knows maybe a good season like this (and hopefully next year's) might be what we need to bring the athletes into the program to help us down the road. I keep hearing about how were lacking quality recruits but success breads success and I don't see 5-7 seasons regardless of who's coaching, bringing in the talent that is needed to compete with Stanford or the "elite" programs.