Ok....truth serum time

So please be 100% honest here....we are all in the "trust tree". A comparison that I made two (2) days ago on Dallascowboys.com was that of KF 2015 and Jason Garrett 2014. Both coaches were only one more sub-par season away from being shown the door....yet both pulled a totally unexpected season out of their butt....thus guaranteeing themselves at least a couple more years at the helm. Even though the stars aligned for Garrett last season, I knew with certainty that he was not deserving of a new five (5) year contract....and that is proving to be 100% factual. Same situation this year with KF....the stars aligned perfectly for him and the team....most certainly with this seasons schedule. While I do give him credit for making a few changes in philosophy, the MSU and Stanford game once again showed us just how far away we are when it comes to true talent and speed at the skill positions....not to mention line strength!!! So given that 90%+ of you wanted KF gone after last season, would you now trade the 12-2 season for a 5-7 season knowing that KF is now going nowhere for the foreseeable future? I now feel totally trapped and helpless with both my Cowboys and Hawks....especially given the last two (2) Iowa games that plainly showed us that we are LIGHT years away from actually competing and contending in any Division I Football Playoff. It was a fun season, but I'd gladly trade it for the Houston Cougars coach or some young tireless recruiter out to make a name for himself. The last two (2) games reinforced my belief that KF peaked in 2009 with an Orange Bowl win against a so-so ACC team. Ok, swing away KF apologists...I can take it.

too long. is there a question in there?

judzee - I guess that I'm having a hard time understanding your question....but I'll try again. If we had beaten Sparty, I still wouldn't have thought we beat a Top 8 team....especially after seeing them give up 39 to Nebraska. And that comparison versus what we scored against MSU didn't make me feel too good about us...win or lose. The game today did nothing more than solidify what I was 99% sure of anyway....that KF should not have been coaching this year, given his lazy and convoluted recruiting theories....not to mention poor game day management, and zero ability to make in-game adjustments.

The truth kinda hurts tonight.
Magical season magical shmeason...
we showed we don't belong on the Big Stage.
And even if we go undefeated next year,
this game will be mentioned.

So the truth?
We may be really good, but we're a long ways from being great.

This season was the most enjoyable season I can ever remember. In 14 games, we laid an egg once. Outside of Clemson and a handful of others, every team in the country had a game like this. Everyone has there opinion. Mine is nothing but love for these Hawkeyes.

judzee - I guess that I'm having a hard time understanding your question....but I'll try again. If we had beaten Sparty, I still wouldn't have thought we beat a Top 8 team....especially after seeing them give up 39 to Nebraska. And that comparison versus what we scored against MSU didn't make me feel too good about us...win or lose. The game today did nothing more than solidify what I was 99% sure of anyway....that KF should not have been coaching this year, given his lazy and convoluted recruiting theories....not to mention poor game day management, and zero ability to make in-game adjustments.

LOL....so a team that beat Oregon, OSU, Michigan and Iowa WASNT a good team because they got beat by BAMA.....LOLOL, is there another team that can say they beat 4 top 20 teams? Going 4-1 vs top 20 teams is pretty damned impressive, and I'd bet even Bama couldn't do better than that (because they didn't, they lost to Ole Miss).

Iowa lost horribly to Stanford. Sparty lost horribly to Alabama. Here's the difference, IMO: Sparty lost because of lack of talent in the secondary or injuries. Overall, Iowa lost because of schemes and football philosophy. So when Sparty has the athletes in the secondary who aren't injured (and gets a QB the caliber of Cook), they will again become great(although it would've shown coaching ability to change this into a positive with a different pass defense). Iowa can get all the great athletes they want. Iowa won't use these athletes' abilities. KF led schemes will forever kill Iowa.

Last edited:
I agree that there is a lack of imagination in the big games. When you get down to the last game(s) of the year the go off ****** to win the game if necessary,

I agree that there is a lack of imagination in the big games. When you get down to the last game(s) of the year the go off ****** to win the game if necessary,

4 straight bowl losses 3 haven't really been close......even the LSU game LSU felt like they were control throughout.

It would have been just like 2002 against USC............proving we need more speed, 21st century game planning, and 5 star athletes....which the Stanford outcome proves the same thing 14 years later. A very good season, but ending with being outclassed by the best of the PAC 10 or XYZ SEC Giant killer.

If Iowa would have lost....heck looked competitive today in a loss...still would have hurt, but we could have held our head up a lot higher. We just looked like we did not belong again on that same field.

At least the 2002 game against USC, Iowa actually showed up for that one. I think a lot of people forget that game was tied at halftime, and Iowa actually left a lot of points on the field in the first half. USC just dominated the 2nd and our D was gassed. But, I get your point...

If Iowa had gone 13-1 and gotten stomped by Alabama, it would have been the same feel for me as 12-2 and stomped by Stanford: Just a feeling that the season was mainly smoke & mirrors against an easy schedule, and we were exposed against better teams. Doesn't change that it was still a fun season, though. Just wish yesterday would have seen Iowa put forth a better effort and make it a game.

At least the 2002 game against USC, Iowa actually showed up for that one. I think a lot of people forget that game was tied at halftime, and Iowa actually left a lot of points on the field in the first half. USC just dominated the 2nd and our D was gassed. But, I get your point...

If Iowa had gone 13-1 and gotten stomped by Alabama, it would have been the same feel for me as 12-2 and stomped by Stanford: Just a feeling that the season was mainly smoke & mirrors against an easy schedule, and we were exposed against better teams. Doesn't change that it was still a fun season, though. Just wish yesterday would have seen Iowa put forth a better effort and make it a game.

Agreed. I should also say we were more competitive against USC.....but the same problems of a lack of speed, game planning, and a lack of 5 star athletes was apparent. But, 2002 had more talent than 2015. Really hurts, but in the end the talking heads were right......Iowa's schedule protected them. 12-0 does not happen if Iowa had to play OSU, MSU, maybe even Michigan (although I think Iowa probably could still take Michigan.....I should say if they played earlier in the season, not so sure now) during the regular season.

Eventually the turd happened......it just took to the end of season for it to drop out. At the end of the day, lack of athletes, lack of play calling, going back to being ole conservative Kirk doomed Iowa. I also think Iowa was not healthy at the end of the year (lack of depth) even with the month off.

I will give them credit for winning at Wisconsin and at Northwestern as those were both 10 win teams. And winning 12 in a row against meh and pretty good competition proves you are at least better than avearge and probably also proves you are a good team. But, Iowa is not a great team and continues to prove when it really matters on a big stage against a big time opponent, they can't hang with them. And, to say, well we hung with MSU......I think MSU proved they are not elite this year either. They are just a little better than Iowa and probably beat Iowa 5-6 times out of 10 this year.

Slowly, but surely, the wheels were coming off down the home stretch. Just really examine our running yards per game the last 4 or 5 games. We picked up a lot of our yards on several big touchdown runs. A lot of 1-3 yard gains in between. We were doing just enough to get by or our opponent was doing just enough to let us win.

There is no new Kirk, never was. This season is representative of the "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" approach.

This team and the coaches were driven after last year's sad display and the growing disgust among the fans. They worked their butts off and were as focused a "team" as we've seen in years. Great leadership from the players. Combine that with a relatively weak schedule..(yes it's true)...and much improved quarterback play and we saw a surprising 12-0 run. Can't take that away from the Hawks. They earned it

Unfortunately the "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" approach only takes you so far. When other teams have better talent, it's tough to overcome. And a well-coached team with talent can easily stifle a vanilla game plan...both offensively and defensively. When the other team is more the aggressor, it usually goes bad.

Good, occasionally really good...but never Great...with the KFz formula.

Last edited:
if this game would have been close, he could have retired. Now there's no way that can happen. Regardless Iowa needs a better skill position recruiter. Big play WRs have been lacking in the ferentz era. When's the last guy who was a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball in the KF era playing wr?

when down as much as Iowa was yesterday, why not put desmond king on offense a few times? what do you got to lose?

Agreed. I should also say we were more competitive against USC.....but the same problems of a lack of speed, game planning, and a lack of 5 star athletes was apparent. But, 2002 had more talent than 2015. Really hurts, but in the end the talking heads were right......Iowa's schedule protected them. 12-0 does not happen if Iowa had to play OSU, MSU, maybe even Michigan (although I think Iowa probably could still take Michigan.....I should say if they played earlier in the season, not so sure now) during the regular season.

Eventually the turd happened......it just took to the end of season for it to drop out. At the end of the day, lack of athletes, lack of play calling, going back to being ole conservative Kirk doomed Iowa. I also think Iowa was not healthy at the end of the year (lack of depth) even with the month off.

I will give them credit for winning at Wisconsin and at Northwestern as those were both 10 win teams. And winning 12 in a row against meh and pretty good competition proves you are at least better than avearge and probably also proves you are a good team. But, Iowa is not a great team and continues to prove when it really matters on a big stage against a big time opponent, they can't hang with them. And, to say, well we hung with MSU......I think MSU proved they are not elite this year either. They are just a little better than Iowa and probably beat Iowa 5-6 times out of 10 this year.

Slowly, but surely, the wheels were coming off down the home stretch. Just really examine our running yards per game the last 4 or 5 games. We picked up a lot of our yards on several big touchdown runs. A lot of 1-3 yard gains in between. We were doing just enough to get by or our opponent was doing just enough to let us win.

Well stated.

Teams with good athlete offensively gave us some fits all year. Indiana, Minnesota. We never shutdown a good running team. Wisconsin didn't have Clement when we played them.

We were not the physically dominating defense of the 02-04 era this year. We caught the breaks and had an extremely favorable schedule.

There is no new Kirk, never was. This season is representative of the "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" approach.

This team and the coaches were driven after last year's sad display and the growing disgust among the fans. They worked their butts off and were as focused a "team" as we've seen in years. Great leadership from the players. Combine that with a relatively weak schedule..(yes it's true)...and much improved quarterback play and we saw a surprising 12-0 run. Can't take that away from the Hawks. They earned it

Unfortunately the "hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard" approach only takes you so far. When other teams have better talent, it's tough to overcome. And a well-coached team with talent can easily stifle a vanilla game plan...both offensively and defensively. When the other team is more the aggressor, it usually goes bad.

Agree with you that there was never a new Kirk, and I said as much during the season.

As as far as no KF teams being great, I disagree, but I do understand that it would just depend on how you define great. If you don't think a KF team has been great, then you must feel that way about Fry's teams as well, and I would disagree with that too.

Agree with you that there was never a new Kirk, and I said as much during the season.

As as far as no KF teams being great, I disagree, but I do understand that it would just depend on how you define great. If you don't think a KF team has been great, then you must feel that way about Fry's teams as well, and I would disagree with that too.

I think 2002 Kirk and 1985 Hayden were both great teams.

I think 2002 Kirk and 1985 Hayden were both great teams.

I have seen five elite Iowa teams in my lifetime: 1985, 2002, and 2009 were all top five teams that had varying fates in their bowls, but any of them could have gotten to the NCAA final in a 4-team playoff system given their talent. The other two were 1984 and 2008 which were elite teams at the end of their seasons, but prior to that point had problems with injuries or experience/other variables. But don't a lot of use think the end-of-year 2008 team could have/would have beaten the 2009 team? I think maybe so.

This year, KF and Co. did a great job putting a team together, but admittedly we won all our close games and that's the difference between 2015 and, say, 2010, or 2009 when we also won all our close games until Ricky Stanzi got hurt. We operate on a thin margin, always, between going 6-6 and 12-0.

However, we do need to make a change at OC. Watching Stanford's offense, not set up much different than our own, was an eye-opener. I don't know what we're afraid of, but never in a million-jillion years would we run a fake-fumble play like they did, in a Rose Bowl. We don't consistently put our talent into space like they do with McCaffrey, on swing passes and those little slants across the middle. We don't mix things up well, with counters and runs from the shotgun and play-action passes. I saw about six different plays from Stanford in about seven offensive plays at the start of that game, whereas we just get so stuck in off-tackle/stretch play/pass play mode with entirely predictable personnel on the field.

I'm no football genius by any means, but when an ignoramus like me is making in-game comments about our offense, and then I see a bona fide FB genius like HawkeyeGamefilm making the same comments in his twitter feed, that's saying more about our offensive play-calling and scheming than it is about my FB knowledge, since I don't know hardly anything. But I do know how to tell the forest from the trees, which our OC seemingly does not much of the time.

I am ready for someone like BF to take over the offense, since I see him champing at the bit to mix things up a la Stanford's offensive philosophy. I'd like to see what he could do for a few years, starting in 2016.

I agree with you and Dean there was never a "New Kirk". It is not much different than 2008 when King and Kroul among others took the leadership reign and refocused the program. They passed that on to Angerer, Edds and a few others. Hopefully, you will see Lomax, Canzeri pass it on to Jewell and other potential leaders of the team.

This game showed that KF is still light years behind when it comes to offensive schemes. Running Canzeri the way they did was never going to work.