Ok....truth serum time

Playmaker

So please be 100% honest here....we are all in the "trust tree". A comparison that I made two (2) days ago on Dallascowboys.com was that of KF 2015 and Jason Garrett 2014. Both coaches were only one more sub-par season away from being shown the door....yet both pulled a totally unexpected season out of their butt....thus guaranteeing themselves at least a couple more years at the helm. Even though the stars aligned for Garrett last season, I knew with certainty that he was not deserving of a new five (5) year contract....and that is proving to be 100% factual. Same situation this year with KF....the stars aligned perfectly for him and the team....most certainly with this seasons schedule. While I do give him credit for making a few changes in philosophy, the MSU and Stanford game once again showed us just how far away we are when it comes to true talent and speed at the skill positions....not to mention line strength!!! So given that 90%+ of you wanted KF gone after last season, would you now trade the 12-2 season for a 5-7 season knowing that KF is now going nowhere for the foreseeable future? I now feel totally trapped and helpless with both my Cowboys and Hawks....especially given the last two (2) Iowa games that plainly showed us that we are LIGHT years away from actually competing and contending in any Division I Football Playoff. It was a fun season, but I'd gladly trade it for the Houston Cougars coach or some young tireless recruiter out to make a name for himself. The last two (2) games reinforced my belief that KF peaked in 2009 with an Orange Bowl win against a so-so ACC team. Ok, swing away KF apologists...I can take it.

Last edited:
That's actually a great question. I fear that this season was fun, but in the end will create another 5-7 years of irrelevance under either Kirk or the power play that he's going to pull to get Brian to be his successor. I even wonder if he's going to try to pull a Spurrier/Bo Ryan and retire two games into one season for "medical reasons" so that Brian would get the interim position and have the inside track for the full-time job.

Well obviously this season was smoke and mirrors, but hey 12-0 is 12-0, don't care how you slice it. Chip Kelly or Tom Herman probably wouldn't have achieved that unicorn.

I think he needs to retire.....he will not beable to do to much better than this (and he missed his golden chance to go out in the highest way in winning the Rose Bowl in the modern era after losing a golden chance at the playoffs). They will not be able to surprise anyone next year and we saw same ole same ole when it came down to playing in the big time games. Iowa needs a dynamic offensive mind to come in here and continues to upgrade recruiting. I also wonder if he will be able to get enough out of his team next year to get a repeat showing. Not so sure about that and teams will be gunning for us. Game planning for bowl games has become a big head scratcher out of this staff.

It was a fun season that became soured and the same ole stale at the end of the day.

Retiring at 12-2 would be better than going out at 5-7. Cash out when you can. Thought he should have retired last year, oddly still feel that way at the end of this year.

Last edited:
Playmaker.... I'm in the exact same boat as you, as I'm a Cowboys fan as well. I would argue that recruiting is the most important aspect of college football, and KF is a flat out poor recruiter. There's no excuse for it. Our facilities are top notch..

Wow, Iowa losses last two games and we are back to wanting to fire Ferentz. Go support the Cyclones.

------Wow, Iowa losses last two games and we are back to wanting to fire Ferentz. Go support the Cyclones.

There was no "back to wanting" for me....I saw the dilemma that I'm speaking of mount after each win this season. Not once this season did I reason that he should still be the HC at Iowa...that belief left me years ago. So, I'm not being a hypocritical.

We have to face the facts Ferentz has Iowa in a choke hold tighter than Darth Vader against one of his underlings. And, like Vader and the Empire/First Order that keeps building deathstars that fail and stormtroopers who can't hit their targets, you can still count on checkdowns, dropped passes, and more runs up the middle. But, it was miles better than 6-6 this year.

Last edited:
------Wow, Iowa losses last two games and we are back to wanting to fire Ferentz. Go support the Cyclones.

There was no "back to wanting" for me....I saw the dilemma that I'm speaking of mount after each win this season. Not once this season did I reason that he should still be the HC at Iowa...that belief left me years ago. So, I'm not being a hypocritical.
I felt the same way, but came to realize that we probably won't be lucky enough to get anyone who can get us any higher.

Playmaker let me ask you this. If we would of beat sparty and that would of put us at 13-0 then got torn apart in the play offs and finished 13-1 would you still feel the same way? We were just an eyelash from that happening and I don't think anybody would of been shocked. Like a poster said on another thread.....this was a total team and coaching staff failure. Not just the coaches.

Playmaker let me ask you this. If we would of beat sparty and that would of put us at 13-0 then got torn apart in the play offs and finished 13-1 would you still feel the same way? We were just an eyelash from that happening and I don't think anybody would of been shocked. Like a poster said on another thread.....this was a total team and coaching staff failure. Not just the coaches.

It would have been just like 2002 against USC............proving we need more speed, 21st century game planning, and 5 star athletes....which the Stanford outcome proves the same thing 14 years later. A very good season, but ending with being outclassed by the best of the PAC 10 or XYZ SEC Giant killer.

If Iowa would have lost....heck looked competitive today in a loss...still would have hurt, but we could have held our head up a lot higher. We just looked like we did not belong again on that same field.

Wow, Iowa losses last two games and we are back to wanting to fire Ferentz. Go support the Cyclones.

Typical response... Tell me what quality team did we beat this year? Wisconsin? Northwestern? Our division is a joke, we should waltz through that every year. The game today illustrates how poor of a recruiter KF is. That is arguably the most important part of his job. Our Oline was flat out embarrassed by a Stanford defense that wasn't supposed to be very good at all. They simply could not compete. Don't even get me started on the skill positions, MAC schools have far better receivers than we do. KF is a horrible game day coach, and always has been. What halftime adjustments were made? Other than Stanford went easy on us the second half. Brian really had the Oline ready to go today as well, didn't he? They were manhandled all day.

-----If we would of beat sparty and that would of put us at 13-0 then got torn apart in the play offs and finished 13-1 would you still feel the same way?

Yes...because beating Sparty knowing what we know now doesn't look to be that big of a deal given you have a strong line and a greater than average number of athletes...MSU should have lost to Purdue for crying out loud. Again, KF may have made some baby steps in philosophy change this season, but he still remains in the dark about what type of athlete needs to be locked up to compete at the highest level. So again...yes, he should never have had the opportunity to go 12-0 with a pathetic schedule this year and dupe the unwashed.

-----If we would of beat sparty and that would of put us at 13-0 then got torn apart in the play offs and finished 13-1 would you still feel the same way?

Yes...because beating Sparty knowing what we know now doesn't look to be that big of a deal given you have a strong line and a greater than average number of athletes...MSU should have lost to Purdue for crying out loud. Again, KF may have made some baby steps in philosophy change this season, but he still remains in the dark about what type of athlete needs to be locked up to compete at the highest level. So again...yes, he should never have had the opportunity to go 12-0 with a pathetic schedule this year and dupe the unwashed.

Your avoiding my question. If we would of beat sparty the argument that you have would not exist. So because we lost and sparty lost we all are horrible and should of never won all those games. You guys are just overthinking this stuff but if you want to diminish the season that's your perogitive.

I love Iowa and loved this season as much as 1981. Never did I think that this team was actually deserving of a top 5 ranking but it was fun to see unfold. I think that most Hawkeye fans would agree with this. To make Kirk and the coaches the scapegoats now or at anytime seems unfair. A coach and his staff can only do so much in preparing a team of non 5 star recruits to compete against talent laden teams. Iowa doesn't reload we rebuild. Injuries are more devastating to our team than other teams perennially in the top ten.
The coaches teach how to do and it is up to the players to do. Do you really believe that Urban, Harbaugh, Dantonio, Stoops or any other coach could do more with the talent Iowa has than Kirk does? Players choose the programs that provide the greatest exposure not the coach. When these programs have injuries to a 4 or 5 star player they replace them with another 4 or 5 star player sitting on the bench. Show me how many of the above coaches that could post a 12-2 record using a next man in mentality when the next man in is a true freshman or walk on player or a player forced to change potions in mid season. Most coaches would flat out refuse. Kirk has embraced this as his role and though many are quick to rush him to the gallows tomight, there are many NFL players who are great full that Kirk was and is the type of coach he is. And Maybe...Just Maybe if you stop and think about it for awhile you would find that you should be happy and proud to have him as our head coach as well.

Latest posts