Ohio State QB Devin Brown

So I'm sure some of us have wondered why all those highly decorated QBs at OSU all stayed and aren't leaving. Be it Kienholz, Brown or a couple others. I think it's simple from what's been said out there and that's NIL... The QB room there's NIL is supposedly significantly more then Iowa and many other programs entire NIL bag. 13 milly is the number I think I'd heard put out there. No idea if that's true or not either but even if it's between 5 and 10 I think it's still significant.

So would you rather be a 3rd or 4th stringer at OSU and be a millionaire or compete for a starting job (there's no promises to start over Cade either) for whatever the Iowa's NIL can get them. Is it even 6 figures? I don't even know but evidently it's not even close. And most of the places those guys would end up at might be in similar boats so why not stay at least for another yr and cash in before looking for playing time. It makes sense to me can't say I blame em.

So I'm sure some of us have wondered why all those highly decorated QBs at OSU all stayed and aren't leaving. Be it Kienholz, Brown or a couple others. I think it's simple from what's been said out there and that's NIL... The QB room there's NIL is supposedly significantly more then Iowa and many other programs entire NIL bag. 13 milly is the number I think I'd heard put out there. No idea if that's true or not either but even if it's between 5 and 10 I think it's still significant.

So would you rather be a 3rd or 4th stringer at OSU and be a millionaire or compete for a starting job (there's no promises to start over Cade either) for whatever the Iowa's NIL can get them. Is it even 6 figures? I don't even know but evidently it's not even close. And most of the places those guys would end up at might be in similar boats so why not stay at least for another yr and cash in before looking for playing time. It makes sense to me can't say I blame em.
Clearly we can't play in this type of sandbox. That said, there is probably only 15-20 schools that can. So, fine. There are only so many kids they can take. Second tier schools like Iowa need to pay their kids at the level they can to compete with the second tier, and then have enough fluff to land a whale like Eppy or Proctor if you have a 5-star kid who somehow wants to come to Iowa.

Unless until there is collective bargaining and a salary cap, this is just reality.

That's depressing, thanks capitalism.

After reading many of the replies and the concern about bringing in a transfer in the event McNamara gets hurt I'm beginning to think it might be a blessing to not get a transfer. It just might be the tipping point that forces Kirk to adapt to an offense where the QB is allowed to run more often. This 11 defensive plays against the offense with 10 players sure hasn't worked for years. The Iowa QB is no threat and the opponents know it. With Resar coming in this fall Iowa would be at three. If all three go down there has to be someone on the roster that played QB at one point.

After reading many of the replies and the concern about bringing in a transfer in the event McNamara gets hurt I'm beginning to think it might be a blessing to not get a transfer. It just might be the tipping point that forces Kirk to adapt to an offense where the QB is allowed to run more often. This 11 defensive plays against the offense with 10 players sure hasn't worked for years. The Iowa QB is no threat and the opponents know it. With Resar coming in this fall Iowa would be at three. If all three go down there has to be someone on the roster that played QB at one point.
Your post was hilariously timed....

So it's come full circle back to the 60's before they had scholarship limits and the OSU's of the world would just give out 30-40 more scholarships to keep kids from going out of state. Also remember this fact when people hype up the old school blue blood coaches from back in the day, it was always just money.

A running qb doesn’t fix iowa’s problems. It creates more.

A running qb doesn’t fix iowa’s problems. It creates more.
Hmm... I wouldn't say having a running qb fixes all the problems but it certainly fixes some. Before I say that yes having a 'running' qb could create some new problems I'm curious which ones you're thinking of and why do you think it creates more of them then not having one? Cause that I don't agree with. At least I'd rather have these problems then the ones we've had anyway. That seems like a given.

Be it what's behind door #2 or having another statue QB with no pocket presence that isn't accurate I'll take what's behind the unknown door if it's a QB that can run as well as Stanzi or CJ Beathard could or better.

We're not running the Wishbone here. Having a running QB doesn't mean he will run every second or third down in today's game. It means that you are mobile enough to scramble out of the pocket to avoid sacks and get an occasional first down with your feet. It is essential in college FB and the NFL.

We're not running the Wishbone here. Having a running QB doesn't mean he will run every second or third down in today's game. It means that you are mobile enough to scramble out of the pocket to avoid sacks and get an occasional first down with your feet. It is essential in college FB and the NFL.
No no no. We need to check to see if Dan Fouts has any kids or grandkids that play QB. The mobile QB is a fad. A chubby white guy with a big arm who smokes on the sidelines between series. Tried and true!!!

I enjoyed these:

"Imagine if you lived across the hall from a world-renowned hacker. How are you still getting hacked? [Parker's] been hacking offenses in the Big Ten and across the country for years … Go across the hall and get the intel [for your offense.]" -- a former Big Ten staffer
"I've watched Iowa on film … I was joking at the time. They set offensive football back 50 years. It had zero imagination. I think you've got to be able to think outside the box and be creative. You've got to have a quarterback who can make something happen. I'm not saying he has to be a massive scrambler, but on third down, [he] has to be able to get you 5 yards." -- that same former Power Five head coach