Oglesby to Iowa

Glad to hear we got him. Hopefully, we can get a couple of other guys to go with him and make up a great class...

Top 150-250 kid depending on the recruiting service you read. Not a program changer by himself, but a kid that will be around 4 years and could give you 10-12 points per game JR-SR year.

I realize that it isn't Harrison Barnes that we just signed, but I hope that Oglesby will be able to do more fill a jersey his first two years.. Ditto for any of our recruits. Not saying he has to be All Big-Ten or anything right away, but hopefully he can be a decent contributor sooner rather than later.

I agree, the first peice is always the hardest. Hopefully this loosens things up a bit. I especially like the fact he's an instate kid, at least now Fran can say he's had success keeping some talent instate.

I think with Fran and Fred, if an instate kid is targeted as a guy they want, for the most part they will do better previous coaches at keeping them home

But at the same time, people should not get too hung up on whether Iowa H.S. kids sign in state. For example Paige, he has the top programs in the country after him. How long do Iowa and ISU wait him out? If a 3 or 4 star point guard from the east coast wants to commit, do you take him or hold out hoping that Paige picks your school?

Great step in the right direction. Now let's go get a big strong athletic post player.

But at the same time, people should not get too hung up on whether Iowa H.S. kids sign in state. For example Paige, he has the top programs in the country after him. How long do Iowa and ISU wait him out? If a 3 or 4 star point guard from the east coast wants to commit, do you take him or hold out hoping that Paige picks your school?

I think this may have already been answered. Iowa State actively pursued and accepted a commitment from an east coast guard in Tavon Sledge making three PG's on the roster for the 2011 class. I realize Paige is 2012, and I suppose ISU would still accept his commitment, but relying on the talent in Iowa would be a pretty big mistake for either coach. Iowa already missed on many of their top targets for 2011, luckily they got Oglesby.

GREAT!!!!!!! wow that was a long wait!! welcome Josh, thanks for being a HAWK, first piece of the NEW HAWKEYES, Lets get us back into the national spotlight!!!!

I realize that it isn't Harrison Barnes that we just signed, but I hope that Oglesby will be able to do more fill a jersey his first two years.. Ditto for any of our recruits. Not saying he has to be All Big-Ten or anything right away, but hopefully he can be a decent contributor sooner rather than later.

Kids get so much exposure today with AAU games, that everyone thinks they will make a huge impact on the program right away.

What are your expectations for him his freshmen year?

I would say if you get 4-5 points per game 3-4 boards you would be ahead of the curve, and you have the makings of a solid player.

First exciting news since the new staff has taken over, a lot of hard has gone into this success and I happy for the Hawkeye Nation.

Kids get so much exposure today with AAU games, that everyone thinks they will make a huge impact on the program right away.

What are your expectations for him his freshmen year?

I would say if you get 4-5 points per game 3-4 boards you would be ahead of the curve, and you have the makings of a solid player.

I would say those numbers as a freshman are reasonable enough. As a sophomore, I would expect an improvement from there. By how much is hard to say, but year-to-year improvement out of our players isn't unreasonable.. Again, not that he has to be averaging 15-20 per game or anything as a soph or anything like that.

Some players develop faster than others, but I'm not writing off our players as being just "projects" until they are upper-classmen..

Last edited:
First exciting news since the new staff has taken over, a lot of hard has gone into this success and I happy for the Hawkeye Nation.

I don't know, I was excited for Marble and McCabe to honor their commitments, unlike two others, as well as for Basabe to commit to Iowa! Welcome aboard Josh!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPYVBobLG2Q&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Oglesby press conference[/ame]

Latest posts