Officiating really hurt Iowa in this game.

The block call on Gesell was a missed call. That's a charge and it was a charge against us a minute earlier.

The last foul on McCabe was clearly the correct call. He was on top of the Nova players shoulder not allowing him to jump.

It doesn't matter when a FT is missed. It's always crucial to make them. I believe Iowa and Villanova had the same FT percentage as well. Nova just shot more FT's

Sports Illustrated had a nice article back in the '80s that I always think about... When a guy like Larry Bird shoots them, they're called free throws; when a guy like Chris Dudley shoots them, they're called foul shots.

Sports Illustrated had a nice article back in the '80s that I always think about... When a guy like Larry Bird shoots them, they're called free throws; when a guy like Chris Dudley shoots them, they're called foul shots.

Turns out at Iowa this year, our backup center shoots free throws while our starting SG is attempting foul shots.

How many charges did we attempt to draw? I don't recall many and as I mentioned I felt they did miss on one call that McCabe got called on that should have been a charge.

And If you want to go by total foul count, we should have lost in the first round to Xavier because we were in the double bonus before they were in the bonus both halves.

So safe to say you agree Xavier got screwed by the refs and we should have been playing in the loser bracket??

Did you watch the game? WTF?

Did you watch the game? WTF?

Yep.

Hey out of curiosity, any reputable sources placing the loss on the officiating? Any dm register or gazette writers? I haven't seen Jon comment on the officiating.

Is there anybody that isn't an over the top fan who says it's all on the 3 men in stripes?

Yep.

Hey out of curiosity, any reputable sources placing the loss on the officiating? Any dm register or gazette writers? I haven't seen Jon comment on the officiating.

Is there anybody that isn't an over the top fan who says it's all on the 3 men in stripes?
Holding some db writers that have never played the game in their lives over folks that have both, played and officiated= Priceless

Holding some db writers that have never played the game in their lives over folks that have both, played and officiated= Priceless

You're right... I should just go with your opinion because your not biased and probably played some high school ball 10-20 years ago??

You're right... I should just go with your opinion because your not biased and probably played some high school ball 10-20 years ago??

Lo siento amigo pero he has a point but I AM pretty sure Jon and mike hlas were absolute ballers in knockout in pe class. Don't quote me but pretty sure they're legends dude

Basically the sports announcers and columnists lied to us. There will seldom be a charging call all season, no matter what the circumstances, the rules will be observed and followed......

We weren't quite prepared for the dirty, nasty thug like team Villanova was. Does anyone think the kick to Aaron's nose was accidental or the finger in the eye or the throwing Devyn out of bounds, for which a flagrant foul was called. We were not prepared for their level of play. Fran coaches a rough but clean game with a element of sportsmanship, not a win at any costs attitude.....

A few factors hurt us besides the refs, as many have mentioned. The turnovers, missed free throws, not calling a time out when they were starting their comeback, and not valuing the ball like it is your Mother's purse that someone is attempting to steal.....

We were not going to go undefeated, very few teams do. There have only been 7 in NCAA tournament history, and UCLA has four of them. Another was The University of San Francisco with Bill Russell. They beat the Hawks in the Championship game.......

We will learn from this game, tendencies were revealed that must be corrected and will be corrected. We could have won that game with one free more free threw in regulation......

I would like to have a pig roast with the refs turning on the spit.....

Just a thought or two to pass the time.....

:cool:

Last edited:
I think the first charges of the season were called in favor of Villanova in this tournament. Just watch, one of the refs will be a Villanova grad or something. Bush League. Absurd.

The game turned when Nova made a couple threes and Iowa started taking quick, stupid shots. Iowa had 5 or 6 empty possessions where we took nothing but bad, hurried shots and were very careless with the ball. A. White was terrible in that stretch and should have been on the bench. Fran was terrible in that stretch. He let a 15 point lead evaporate in a couple minutes and did nothing but stand there with his arms folded. Very poor time out usage.

You can go ahead and blame the refs again. IOWA blew this one badly.

Last edited:
This is one game where officiating was a huge factor. Actually, the calls against Iowa has been pretty unbelievable in this tourney. How many charges did they call on us tonight? And how was that last foul on McCabe a foul when he clearly had rebound position?

Iowa deserved better throughout this tourney and tonight.

Why does every official hate Iowa?
Why do we always get screwed? (when we lose)
It has to be a conspiracy.
The whole world is against Iowa. (at least every referee in the country)
Poor us. If it wasn't for referees, we would be 35-0 this year.
Iowa is the only team, ever, to have some calls go against them.
Refs suck.

Basically the sports announcers and columnists lied to us. There will seldom be a charging call all season, no matter what the circumstances, the rules will be observed and followed......

We weren't quite prepared for the dirty, nasty thug like team Villanova was. Does anyone think the kick to Aaron's nose was accidental or the finger in the eye or the throwing Devyn out of bounds, for which a flagrant foul was called. We were not prepared for their level of play. Fran coaches a rough but clean game with a element of sportsmanship, not a win at any costs attitude.....

A few factors hurt us besides the refs, as many have mentioned. The turnovers, missed free throws, not calling a time out when they were starting their comeback, and not valuing the ball like it is your Mother's purse that someone is attempting to steal.....

We were not going to go undefeated, very few teams do. There have only been 7 in NCAA tournament history, and UCLA has four of them. Another was The University of San Francisco with Bill Russell. They beat the Hawks in the Championship game.......

We will learn from this game, tendencies were revealed that must be corrected and will be corrected. We could have won that game with one free more free threw in regulation......

I would like to have a pig roast with the refs turning on the spit.....

Just a thought or two to pass the time.....

:cool:

Jack.... I've heard many of the announcers talk to this no charge idea and I don't get where it's coming from.

From my understanding the emphasis is on handchecking in a way that impedes a ball handler's movement. Drawing charges requires playing with your feet.

It makes no sense to tell guys to play with their feet and then take away a play that awards good sound defense.

The handchecking needs to go but we can't take away the help defense. If the help comes, the offense needs to capitalize by finding the open man.

Just my thoughts.

Did you lose the game on that call? Apparently that's how it works.

My point was that at that given point one of Iowa's better players fouled out due to a bad call (if you watch the replay McCabe was in position with no push off, that affected the outcome. I agree, they shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with but it did affect the rest of the game (e.i.) who finished the game. McCabe was one of Iowa's more consistent shooters in the game (and the tournament). But your point was McCabe should have been t'd up, if the call was so horribly bad, McCabe wouldn't have thrown his mouth piece, which in turn her wouldn't have been in position to get t'd up. You make one point, someone proves it wrong and you change your point, typical ISU fan.

Word. McCabe shoulda been T'd and wasn't. Referees did not lose this game. Iowa did.

You and BSH4C completely miss the point of why McCabe should have been T'd up and it was so obvious. He threw his mouth piece because he fouled out on a bad call (McCabe was in position and didn't push off on the Nova player to get the defensive rebound). If he didn't get that horrible foul call he wouldn't have fouled out, which he wouldn't have thrown his mouth piece so please AGAIN someone explain to me how the bad officiating didn't affect that particular part of the game? It took out Iowa's most consistent shooter from the current game. I truly believe the ref knew he blew the call and let the T-foul go because he shouldn't have blew his whistle to begin with!

Iowa let Nova back in the game by going cold on offense against some really good man to man with about 12-10 minutes left in the game, but the officiating in the last 10 minutes of regular and O.T. was horrible.

I thought the officiating heavily favored Nova in the 2nd half and OT. I don't think it prevented us from winning. We did that on our own...missed FTs, playing out of control, a couple bad decisions on offense, etc. I should add that Nova getting hot from 3 was probably the biggest problem.

You and BSH4C completely miss the point of why McCabe should have been T'd up and it was so obvious. He threw his mouth piece because he fouled out on a bad call (McCabe was in position and didn't push off on the Nova player to get the defensive rebound). If he didn't get that horrible foul call he wouldn't have fouled out, which he wouldn't have thrown his mouth piece so please AGAIN someone explain to me how the bad officiating didn't affect that particular part of the game? It took out Iowa's most consistent shooter from the current game. I truly believe the ref knew he blew the call and let the T-foul go because he shouldn't have blew his whistle to begin with!

Iowa let Nova back in the game by going cold on offense against some really good man to man with about 12-10 minutes left in the game, but the officiating in the last 10 minutes of regular and O.T. was horrible.

Just because you disagree with a call doesn't give you the right to thow your mouth piece on th floor.

The ref swalled his whistle on the T because he didn't want to penalize the rest of the team for a bonehead decision by one of their teammates that could have cost them the game.

Just because you disagree with a call doesn't give you the right to thow your mouth piece on th floor.

The ref swalled his whistle on the T because he didn't want to penalize the rest of the team for a bonehead decision by one of their teammates that could have cost them the game.

I am not saying he had the right to do it, me was in the wrong but if the bad call wasn't made to begin with then he wouldn't have done it. THEREFORE the bad call made him foul out. THEREFORE the bad call affected the outcome of the game from that point on. That is my point, but you guys seem to miss that part.

Don't be that fan that complains about the refs after a loss. Nobody was out to get us and it all evens out in the end.

Don't be that fan that complains about the refs after a loss. Nobody was out to get us and it all evens out in the end.

I don't think the refs were out to get Iowa, but they were officiating the championship game with Iowa having a sizeable lead. Its only human nature that the calls went against Iowa. The really bad part is it gave the other teams players confidence and they started hitting their threes. I wouldn't necessarily say that Iowa had a better team, but they didn't get a fair shake the other night.

Latest posts