!*****Official 'Return Of The Suspended Players' ;-) ;-) Game Thread*****!

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Iowa will beat the bad-gers for sure. This defense will shut them down! Iowa also tends to get defensive scores against the bad-gers. That will also give Iowa a big advantage with the pick 6s.

They made Montgomery a total non-factor in the game. My math shows he had 17 yards rushing and 2 yards receiving the final 3 quarters.

thoughts over 2 games:
D line is legit "bullies of the big 10" good.
OL, not so much
Stanley has regressed so much it's painful
Noah Fant needs to cure himself of the drops.
Is it the WR coach or the lack of talent that causes the WRs to suck every year........probably both.
DBs and LBs are about what I expected.

take away...
it wasn't pretty but a win over those sheep "lovers" in ames makes the year much better.
It wouldnt be a ferentz team if the QB didnt somehow regress to highschool form

To me Stanley is playing too tight and pressing rather than letting the game come to him. A perfect example was the roll out he had where if he would have run it would have been a for sure first down and a nice gain. Instead he pressed downfield and overthrew the receiver. Also, so many of his passes are going low or are off target. The thing I think that may help him is run more up tempo so he doesn't have as much time to think and just plays.

On the bright side there were many years where a game like this Iowa would have lost. I stated in another post as well but I would like to think Brian is saving a lot of plays for Wisconsin and the Big Ten.

Seriously think playing UNI will prepare Iowa for Wisconsin? Only if Wisconsin plays with blindfolds the whole game.
I dont think the quality of the competition does, no. I think its an opponent that we should handle while working to get better at the things we need to do well to compete with Wisconsin. Easier game, tough rivalry game, easier game, toughest game on the schedule. I think it sets up well for the way Ferentz tends to improve the team and install 90% of the gameplan (insert joke here). We NEED to work on quite a few things and this opponent will allow for that without having to "find a way to win" and scrapping the gameplan. We will be able to win while fine tuning things that must be cleared up before Wisconsin. Defense can go into Wisky game rested and injury-free. Offense can iron out a few wrinkles. This next game is about Iowa, not UNI. Its a good lead-in game to Wisconsin for how KF typically grows a team. Wish it was a week 5 or 6 game but, we will be ready. Expect us to want a game exactly like the one you saw today.

To me Stanley is playing too tight and pressing rather than letting the game come to him. A perfect example was the roll out he had where if he would have run it would have been a for sure first down and a nice gain. Instead he pressed downfield and overthrew the receiver. Also, so many of his passes are going low or are off target. The thing I think that may help him is run more up tempo so he doesn't have as much time to think and just plays.

On the bright side there were many years where a game like this Iowa would have lost. I stated in another post as well but I would like to think Brian is saving a lot of plays for Wisconsin and the Big Ten.
Stanley is a good example of playing tight, playing in an offense that doesnt allow a qb to develop a rhythm and playing with receivers that are iffy at best. The deep ball in the 3rd, the receiver wasnt even running his route hard until he saw the ball in the air. Makes Stanley look bad but he dogged it because he was the 3rd or 4th clear out option and didnt run the route out. Inconsistency in routes, dropped balls. Most of it is on Stanley to this point. But, confidence in those around you makes a huge difference. Stanley will get it going.

This isnt a rant, but at this rate, Fant and Stanley are in no danger of moving on to the NFL. Happy to eek out a few wins this year and keep them both for next year.

This isnt a rant, but at this rate, Fant and Stanley are in no danger of moving on to the NFL. Happy to eek out a few wins this year and keep them both for next year.
Not saying you're right or wrong, but I have read that it's a very thin TE class, which might be what may pull Noah into the draft. He'll also test well, even though he's put some really bad plays on film so far this year. Stanley, though...yikes! I wondered throughout the game if he was hurt, because he was way off so many times.

Fant still could, Stanley will likely join the long list of Hawkeye clipboard holders but not anytime soon.

Not saying you're right or wrong, but I have read that it's a very thin TE class, which might be what may pull Noah into the draft. He'll also test well, even though he's put some really bad plays on film so far this year. Stanley, though...yikes! I wondered throughout the game if he was hurt, because he was way off so many times.
Not sure how it could be blamed on rust so im thinking over-hyped. I think both have NFL skill-sets, just might need to be fully cooked before leaving.

That's because Pat has a secret. Kind of weird in this day and age to keep that secret, but to each his own.
First, I thought this was a hilarious tweet by Pat. Second, it's interesting that you mention that tk. The summer before either our Junior or senior years of high school football, we were both at the Iowa State. Football camp (this was before Iowa had offered him), I was talking with him after some portion of the camp and had my shirt off when he says to me "nice body man". I always thought that was kind of strange but didn't really think much of it, plus it was my only claim to very slight fame. That could make more sense now... I want to add, "not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Latest posts