***Official Outback Bowl Game Thread***

Wrong. Not saying run to outside. In fact, the stretch to Weisman (or Bullock) -- to the short side, no less -- is one of the most frequently run plays despite it usually being poorly timed, poorly executed and least productive. I'm cool with the HH pounding between the tackles but when the holes aren't there for long, you need more speed to hit them -- see Canzeri. I'm also a proponent of hitting it hard on those 3rd / 1's rather than the cluster fvck hurry-up sneak that results in as many false starts or punts as it does first downs. Finally, there also comes a time when you simply have to stop pounding for the hope of it bearing fruit in the 4th and actually play to score some points as the situations present themselves -- i.e. the numerous short fields after momentum-seizing turnovers by the D, only to be squandered by [take your pick] from above. Gerg's version of the play-action you reference is a simple 5-yard out, not attack the middle of field with your WR / TE waggle or flood the post.

Again, I'll accept your strategical theory but call you on poor implementation relative to personnel and situational timing.

Go, Greg! Keep making those "strides".

You need to rewatch the drives in the 4th quarter if the PA passes were 5 yards out. Why do you think they were wide open. We were starting to control the line of scrimmage after beating them down all day. Then they faked injuries to stop the MO and rest. You should apply for the job if it comes open.

LOl... So it would have been a different game if we would have played one tailback... Our game plan was pretty close to spot on and we had a chance with 5 minutes left to tie it from inside their 25. We wiffed on 4th and short... Maybe Weisman should have had one more carry.

Did I say use one tailback? No. Didn't think so.

Weisman is still a fullback and 5 to 7 carries for him against this speed would have been enough. The stat should have been Canzeri 18 carries and Weisman 5.

Not saying the outcome would have been different as we'll never know, but Canzeri's yards per carry were far greater then Weisman today were they not?

Did I say use one tailback? No. Didn't think so.

Weisman is still a fullback and 5 to 7 carries for him against this speed would have been enough. The stat should have been Canzeri 18 carries and Weisman 5.

Not saying the outcome would have been different as we'll never know, but Canzeri's yards per carry were far greater then Weisman today were they not?

Do you think Weisman's carries and the change of pace had anything to do with it? It was a good game plan. Weisman rarely fumbles, we had a chance in the 4th quarter against the only team to beat Auburn this year, after a rough first half.

Do you think Weisman's carries and the change of pace had anything to do with it? It was a good game plan. Weisman rarely fumbles, we had a chance in the 4th quarter against the only team to beat Auburn this year, after a rough first half.

Huh? No I don't think Weisman's carries had much of anything to do with how Canzeri did. He is not fast which results in not hitting the hole fast enough and was pounded very hard most of the day by LSU.

I know Canzeri has had some fumble problems. At least that was GD's response to why he didn't play more the first half of the year. However, when you average under 1.5 yards per carry like Weisman did today, it doesn't matter if you don't fumble. I'll take my chances on a guy with speed who can average 5 yards per carry over Weisman everyday.

What is so hard for you to understand about this? I'm not anti-Weisman, but did he come to Iowa as a Fullback? That is the position he belongs at and should receive very few carries against a team with speed.

And the stretch plays the Hawks run with Weisman. Let's not even go there today.

You need to rewatch the drives in the 4th quarter if the PA passes were 5 yards out. Why do you think they were wide open. We were starting to control the line of scrimmage after beating them down all day. Then they faked injuries to stop the MO and rest. You should apply for the job if it comes open.

Classic response but I'll hang in there for 1 more round ...

Controlling the line of scrimmage is a bit of a stretch -- Hawks were gearing up for another punt (to my points, after Beathard came up short on a 3rd & 1 sneak, rather than running a legit play) but were bailed out on the substitution flag. Only to have Weisman go -1 on 3rd & 2, then no gain on 4th & 3. It finally took Canzeri to spark the next drive with some decent 1st down yardage (a rarity) before ultimately going back to a hurry-up sneak that failed, again (after a nice boot worked earlier in the drive). Please don't act like it was Weisman's doing that LSU went MSU. It was Canzeri x 2 + Beathard boot + Duzey for 35 that had LSU back on their heals. In the end, CJB still threw a roll-out pick.

That was the only respectable and best drive of the day by Iowa and it still came up a yard short due to that stupid hurry-up sneak and a naked boot interception that was well-scouted by LSU (because Iowa ran it 500 times during the season.)
Everything else the offense had to use was the oskie and kick off returns inside the 5 on both. Even Gerg couldn't screw that up, though it took him a couple tries to actually produce.

Be happy with your guy. I'm not. Gotta go shovel snow.

Classic response but I'll hang in there for 1 more round ...

Controlling the line of scrimmage is a bit of a stretch -- Hawks were gearing up for another punt (to my points, after Beathard came up short on a 3rd & 1 sneak, rather than running a legit play) but were bailed out on the substitution flag. Only to have Weisman go -1 on 3rd & 2, then no gain on 4th & 3. It finally took Canzeri to spark the next drive with some decent 1st down yardage (a rarity) before ultimately going back to a hurry-up sneak that failed, again (after a nice boot worked earlier in the drive). Please don't act like it was Weisman's doing that LSU went MSU. It was Canzeri x 2 + Beathard boot + Duzey for 35 that had LSU back on their heals. In the end, CJB still threw a roll-out pick.

That was the only respectable and best drive of the day by Iowa and it still came up a yard short due to that stupid hurry-up sneak and a naked boot interception that was well-scouted by LSU (because Iowa ran it 500 times during the season.)
Everything else the offense had to use was the oskie and kick off returns inside the 5 on both. Even Gerg couldn't screw that up, though it took him a couple tries to actually produce.

Be happy with your guy. I'm not. Gotta go shovel snow.

From the guy flaming we were going to lose big and we need to change everything for next year after the first LSU drive...

Latest posts