***OFFICIAL NCAA SELECTION SHOW THREAD***

When it comes to this sort of thing it doesn't really matter at all.

Most people don't think of the round of 64 as the second round. They think of it as the first round. If you're not playing in the first round, most people wouldn't think you really made the tournament. Trying to sell a play-in game loss as an NCAA appearance to recruits might be pretty tough.

Most people don't think of the round of 64 as the second round. They think of it as the first round. If you're not playing in the first round, most people wouldn't think you really made the tournament. Trying to sell a play-in game loss as an NCAA appearance to recruits might be pretty tough.

GO TO CRY FAN TO LOB THESE ALLEGATIONS. Most people are idiots.

I don't think the committee realized that Bruce Pearl isn't at Tennessee anymore so their cute little "no, we don't do things like that" pairing loses something...

I'm pretty sure a recruit isn't going to base his decision off of if a team lost a non-memorable play-in game or a non-memorable 2nd round game. In fact, a year from now they won't go on wikipedia and go "Fran says it was a tourny birth but really it was a play-in game so nope, not going to Iowa" The only reason any of this matters is because we have to play an extra game to play on the days people normally associate with the first day of the tournament and it matters as far as smack talk goes beyond that, it doesn't matter at all.

Tennessee's Season.....

2013-2014 TENNESSEE MEN'S BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
Overall
21-12
Conf.
11-7
Home
14-3
Away
4-7
Neutral
3-2

spacer-000000.gif
DateOpponent / EventLocationTime / Result
spacer.gif
11/02/13vs. Florida Southern ^
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 105-80
11/07/13vs. Southern Indiana ^
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 78-47
11/12/13
at Xavier
media-icon-tv.gif
Cincinnati, OhioL, 67-63
11/16/13vs. USC Upstate
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 74-65
11/18/13vs. The Citadel
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 86-60
11/22/13vs. Tennessee State
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 88-67
Battle 4 Atlantis
11/28/13vs. UTEP
media-icon-tv.gif
Paradise Island, BahamasL, 78-70
11/29/13
vs. XavierParadise Island, BahamasW, 64-49
11/30/13vs. Wake ForestParadise Island, BahamasW, 82-63
spacer.gif

12/07/13vs. Tennessee Tech
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 84-63
12/14/13at Wichita State
media-icon-tv.gif
Wichita, Kan.L, 70-61
12/18/13vs. NC State
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleL, 65-58
12/23/13vs. Morehead State
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 82-67
12/30/13vs. Virginia
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 87-52
01/04/14vs. Tusculum
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 98-51
01/07/14at LSU *
media-icon-tv.gif
Baton Rouge, La.W, 68-50
01/11/14
vs. Texas A&M *
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleL, 57-56
01/15/14vs. Auburn *
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 78-67
01/18/14at Kentucky *
media-icon-tv.gif
LexingtonL, 74-66
01/22/14vs. Arkansas *
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 81-74
01/25/14at Florida *
media-icon-tv.gif
Gainesville, Fla.L, 67-41
01/29/14vs. Ole Miss *
media-icon-tv.gif

Knoxville, Tenn.W, 86-70
02/01/14at Alabama *
media-icon-tv.gif
Tuscaloosa, Ala.W, 76-59
02/05/14at Vanderbilt *
media-icon-tv.gif
Nashville, Tenn.L, 64-60
02/08/14vs. South Carolina *
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 72-53
02/11/14vs. Florida *
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleL, 67-58
02/15/14at Missouri *
media-icon-tv.gif
Columbia, Mo.L, 75-70
02/18/14vs. Georgia *
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 67-48
02/22/14at Texas A&M *
media-icon-tv.gif
College Station, TexasL, 68-65 (OT)
02/26/14at Mississippi State *
media-icon-tv.gif
Starkville, Miss.W, 75-68
03/01/14vs. Vanderbilt *
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 76-38
03/05/14at Auburn *
media-icon-tv.gif
Auburn, Ala.W, 82-54
03/08/14vs. Missouri *
media-icon-tv.gif
KnoxvilleW, 72-45
SEC Tournament
03/14/14vs. South Carolina
media-icon-tv.gif

Atlanta, Ga.W, 59-44
03/15/14
vs. Florida
media-icon-tv.gif

Atlanta, Ga.L, 56-49

I'm stunned at all the negativity on here about a play in game. For those of you idiots who don't think this is a tournament game I have news for you the FIELD WAS EXPANDED A FEW YEARS AGO IT ISSSSSSS A TOURNAMENT GAME. If the TEAM can pick themselves up and get up emotionally for this game and win we could be looking at a string of W's here which would woo potential recruits.

I'm stunned at all the negativity on here about a play in game. For those of you idiots who don't think this is a tournament game I have news for you the FIELD WAS EXPANDED A FEW YEARS AGO IT ISSSSSSS A TOURNAMENT GAME. If the TEAM can pick themselves up and get up emotionally for this game and win we could be looking at a string of W's here which would woo potential recruits.

A month ago we were talking Big Ten title. It's not surprising that people would be a little irritated with barely making the tournament and not playing (yet) on the days that the tournament is the most fun.

bcl20;128561tonmonth ago we were talking Big Ten title. It's not surprising that people would be a little irritated with barely making the tournament and not playing (yet) on the days that the tournament is the most fun.[/QUOTE said:
Iowa was not going to win the BT...Iowa has too many issues for that. I never thought they could...top 4 at best...when they lost the home games against good teams early...wasn't going to happen. I was afraid all year of a stretch like they had to end the year because of the overall roster holes.

A month ago we were talking Big Ten title. It's not surprising that people would be a little irritated with barely making the tournament and not playing (yet) on the days that the tournament is the most fun.

The most fun days of the tournament are the days the Hawks are playing.

I think you can watch the 'talking heads' all night long with out any of the mentioning IOWA.

Can't really blame them...

Our last game we lost to northwestern by 5. Tennessee's last game they lost to Florida by 7. We will look like jr high girls compared to Florida and they will look like world beaters compare to little ol NU and sobelewkiabrahmamsonolah. We are in trouble. Our coach has a child having surgery that day. We haven't had a pulse for a month. Not looking good fellas.

There are at least two ways to look at this:

We made the NCAA Tournament....

Or we have been granted the opportunity to play in the Tournament.....

All I care about is beating Tennessee and moving on, and am pleased to be playing.....

I am going to view this as being in the Tournament as an 11 seed.....

Have already purchased plane tickets and a discount at Marriott Resident Inn, courtesy of Kate....

Game tickets will be at my crib tomorrow.....

:cool:

Iowa was not going to win the BT...Iowa has too many issues for that. I never thought they could...top 4 at best...when they lost the home games against good teams early...wasn't going to happen. I was afraid all year of a stretch like they had to end the year because of the overall roster holes.

Whether you believe they were going to win the conference or not is irrelevant. We were in a position to do that, and instead absolutely tanked down the stretch. We went from a game back of the conference title to "last 4 in" in just a few weeks.

There are at least two ways to look at this:

We made the NCAA Tournament....

Or we have been granted the opportunity to play in the Tournament.....

All I care about is beating Tennessee and moving on, and am pleased to be playing.....

I am going to view this as being in the Tournament as an 11 seed.....

Have already purchased plane tickets and a discount at Marriott Resident Inn, courtesy of Kate....

Game tickets will be at my crib tomorrow.....

:cool:

We can win the National Championship from this game. That can't happen from the NIT. I don't care about the terminology. Enjoy the game!

When two teams have the same seed in the first round of a tournament, it is a "play-in" game.

When 68 teams are invited to the NCAA Tournament then all 68 teams are in the tournament; it doesn't matter if 60 teams have first round byes.

Iowa will be the first #11 play-in seed to make the elite eight. Mark it.

;)

When two teams have the same seed in the first round of a tournament, it is a "play-in" game.

When 68 teams are invited to the NCAA Tournament then all 68 teams are in the tournament; it doesn't matter if 60 teams have first round byes.

Iowa will be the first #11 play-in seed to make the elite eight. Mark it.

;)

VCU was an 11-seed play-in when they made the Final Four.