OFFICIAL: McCaffery New Iowa Men’s Basketball Coach

I have to admit that I am totally unimpressed...that being said, as I always do, I will support McCaffery until he is gone. I just hope Hawk fans are realistic. He is taking over a team that failed to achieve last year or in my opinion underachieved. He has one open scholarship, so if you expect major changes next year, you are setting him up for failure before he begins.

Welcome aboard Fran and I look forward to watching your teams play ball.

On another note, do we lose any current players with this hire? What about incoming recruits? Both of these question will be interesting to watch as they are answered...

+1 I am also reserving judgement and am welcoming him to Iowa City. His track record at building programs is very good. More than you can say about Lickliter who inherited what was already built at Butler. He has built programs from ground up not only at Siena, but also at Lehigh and UNC-Greensboro. Granted they are mid-major programs, but in the sense of needing a program builder, it is a good hire. From what I am reading on other boards (from people who have supposedly observed him as a coach, FWIW) the guy was doing a good job at attracting talent out of NYC to a school of 3000 students with little basketball history located in Albany, NY.

Losers

Iowa basketball

Winners

Jamie Pollard -- if this is the best Big Brother can do, his keeping McDermott looks smart

Steve Forbes -- can gain experience, either at Tennessee or as head coach somewhere. The Iowa job will open up again in 3-4 years

Ben Jacobson -- another in-state coach he can beat. will come out ahead in the long run

Sienna -- got rid of a coach who didn't want to be there

wow

+1 I am also reserving judgement and am welcoming him to Iowa City. His track record at building programs is very good. More than you can say about Lickliter who inherited what was already built at Butler. He has built programs from ground up not only at Siena, but also at Lehigh and UNC-Greensboro. Granted they are mid-major programs, but in the sense of needing a program builder, it is a good hire. From what I am reading on other boards (from people who have supposedly observed him as a coach, FWIW) the guy was doing a good job at attracting talent out of NYC to a school of 3000 students with little basketball history located in Albany, NY.

I don't get why people keep saying that McCaffery is great at building programs.

Two of his 3 head coaching jobs:
49-40 at Lehigh
90-87 at UNCG

The only place he has had much sustained success is at Siena. Barely over .500 at Lehigh and UNCG.

We should throw our full support to Coach McCaffrey. He can't be successful at Iowa if we are giving up on him before he even arrives on campus. That, and it will be really hard to convince recruits to come to U of I to play in an empty arena.

Give him a chance.

I don't get why people keep saying that McCaffery is great at building programs.

Two of his 3 head coaching jobs:
49-40 at Lehigh
90-87 at UNCG

The only place he has had much sustained success is at Siena. Barely over .500 at Lehigh and UNCG.

Overall records are skewed. Look at progression of overall records by season.

Lehigh:
1st year - 13-15
2nd year - 15-14
3rd year - 21-10

UNC-GB
1st year - 15-13
2nd year - 19-12
3rd year - 20 - 11
4th year - 7-22 *Not sure what happened here
5th year - 11 - 17
6th year - 18 - 12

Siena
1st year - 15-13
2nd year - 20-12
3rd year - 23-11
4th year - 27-8
5th year - 27-7

He has taken three different schools to the NCAA Tournament. That's impressive in itself.

I'm trying to think of guys who have coached at MAAC schools and had success at "BCS" schools. Skip Prosser (Loyola) & Jim Valvano (Iona) come to mind.

I know its a completely different sport but Kirk Ferentz's overall record is 70-53 (43-37 in Big10 play) and I think we can all agree that he is a much better coach than those records show.

Ferentz is 81-55. You didn't add the 2009 season in there.

And he was 4-19 his first two years while building the program. After the first two years he is 77-36. That is what people should look at. When coaches take over any sport at any school, you should really look at their records after the first two or three seasons.

Ferentz is 81-55. You didn't add the 2009 season in there.

And he was 4-19 his first two years while building the program. After the first two years he is 77-36. That is what people should look at. When coaches take over any sport at any school, you should really look at their records after the first two or three seasons.

My mistake. I looked at the university's site and they must not have updated the record in his bio page.

Nothing against Spank, but I am a little disappointed in some of his Tweets. I know some of our incoming recruits follow him on Twitter, so not the best first impression for them I am sure?

I hear people say that Barta stepped up to the plate and bunted. We don't know what all happened. Has it occurred to anyone that maybe no "big name" coach wanted the job? Yes, everyone wants to say Forbes, but he has 0 D1 coaching experience. Let's give the new coach all the support we can, or we are looking at this happening again in 3-4 years and going through the same thing. If I was a coach, why would I want to come to Iowa with fan support like we are seeing so far.

Latest posts