OFFICIAL: McCaffery New Iowa Men’s Basketball Coach

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
March 28, 2010
McCaffery New Iowa Men’s Basketball Coach
In a statement issued today, University of Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta has confirmed that Fran McCaffery will be named the new Hawkeye basketball coach. He’ll be formally introduced at a press conference (tentatively set for 11 a.m.) to be held in Iowa City tomorrow. Details of the press conference will be released later today.

Oh. yay. I just came back to my computer after cleaning my puppies' litter area. It dawned on me then that the rumours of Fran being our next HC had less of a WOW factor than scooping poo and mopping wizz.

Spank, after I took a few (actually way more than a few) deep breaths, I looked over this choice rationally. My main concern is how he will relate to players and fans and whether he can generate some excitement in the program. I think he has a chance at that. Look at some of his press conferences on YouTube; not a real dynamo, but doesn't duck questions, talks about how certain players did or didn't do well, isn't at all vague about what he means to say.

Also videos of Siena show an uptempo type of offense, pressure defense. Hope he doesn't talk about the Siena way.

Justin,
You providing a write up on your thoughts?
Maybe tonight or tomorrow, I'm still on a quasi-vacation in the Cities this weekend. Not impressed whatsoever, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Definitely not a "wow" hire, though, and that's frustrating.

A lot of great BCS coaches didn't come from BCS schools. I agree with Spank's initial reaction, but support Fran and hope this is a Lute Olson/Kirk Ferentz scenario rather than Todd Lickliter or Dan Monson.

Maybe tonight or tomorrow, I'm still on a quasi-vacation in the Cities this weekend. Not impressed whatsoever, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Definitely not a "wow" hire, though, and that's frustrating.

Well I haven't been impressed with Iowa Basketball for the last 3 season. Iowa has never had an eye-popping wow Hire ever.. So I'm not surprised.

IMO this is a good hire for Iowa. Time will tell.

Well I haven't been impressed with Iowa Basketball for the last 3 season. Iowa has never had an eye-popping wow Hire ever.. So I'm not surprised.

IMO this is a good hire for Iowa. Time will tell.

Anything and anybody is better than Lickliter. With the incompetence weve seen the last few years i am cautiously optimistic

I have to admit this hire does not excite me in any way, shape or form. This guy is going to energize the fan base? This guy is going to get people back to Carver?

Barta had a chance to really make a splash hire....to hit a home run. Instead he bunts. I can't begin to express my disappointment. But I can also say I'm not surprised.

Losers

Iowa basketball

Winners

Jamie Pollard -- if this is the best Big Brother can do, his keeping McDermott looks smart

Steve Forbes -- can gain experience, either at Tennessee or as head coach somewhere. The Iowa job will open up again in 3-4 years

Ben Jacobson -- another in-state coach he can beat. will come out ahead in the long run

Sienna -- got rid of a coach who didn't want to be there

I have to admit this hire does not excite me in any way, shape or form. This guy is going to energize the fan base? This guy is going to get people back to Carver?

Barta had a chance to really make a splash hire....to hit a home run. Instead he bunts. I can't begin to express my disappointment. But I can also say I'm not surprised.

I have to admit that I am totally unimpressed...that being said, as I always do, I will support McCaffery until he is gone. I just hope Hawk fans are realistic. He is taking over a team that failed to achieve last year or in my opinion underachieved. He has one open scholarship, so if you expect major changes next year, you are setting him up for failure before he begins.

Welcome aboard Fran and I look forward to watching your teams play ball.

On another note, do we lose any current players with this hire? What about incoming recruits? Both of these question will be interesting to watch as they are answered...

Some of you guys need to step away from the ledge, wow. Some of you just have to b*tch about something all the time.

I think it will be important for Fran to make some calls to current recruits and make sure both want each other. THEN, go find a true PG with that extra scholly!

Latest posts