****Official Iowa Hawkeyes vs Ron Burgundy's home city Game Thread****

I can't say anything about Finn but FS1 is hard to listen to if you aren't cheering for the favorite.

Saw a lot of good about hawks. Glad to see that we weren't 100% tonight. Hope Connor gets less minutes in future games. T needs more court time.
Being that he is the head coaches son, do you honestly believe that will happen? Why do you think Moss left the program for Kansas? He starts for Kansas, do you really think Connor would start at Kansas? He would hardly see the floor if he did.

Tonight I just caught the last nine minutes of the game. Also saw that we gave up over 50 points in the second half. The lack of defensive intensity can kill your ass. You can’t expect to win if you give up over 50 points in any half of basketball.

We also saw the difference between very quick guard play vrs average middle of the road B1G conference guard play.

Damn shame Fran just can’t get that game changer premier guard to come to Iowa.

wow i thought they played pretty good d for most of the night. I thought we were going to get destroyed when Luka
got in foul trouble and wieskamp is sick and JBo is still recovering. what we saw is the bench can hold their own and they are young and will get better. I also thought this is the most scrappy team i have seen at iowa. I didn't mind them loosing as they seemed like they put it all on the line. I felt many times last year that wasn't the case.

Boy. On a week when we win two basketball games at home, upset the #12 team in the country in Vegas, play head to head with San Diego St. with a couple of guys who are not 100% physically, are currently playing with a lot of new guys, a team who lost three starters from last year, and in football beat Illinois and Nebraska to end the regular season with 9 wins and maybe 10 after a bowl game, all estron and Sid and team caddy can do is continue to spew their venom about the Hawks. Go away. You are boring trolls.

Boy. On a week when we win two basketball games at home, upset the #12 team in the country in Vegas, play head to head with San Diego St. with a couple of guys who are not 100% physically, are currently playing with a lot of new guys, a team who lost three starters from last year, and in football beat Illinois and Nebraska to end the regular season with 9 wins and maybe 10 after a bowl game, all estron and Sid and team caddy can do is continue to spew their venom about the Hawks. Go away. You are boring trolls.
You first cup cake

He was a pretty special player.

That type of player hasn't been on a lot of our teams.

Absolutely true but it is what we need. We have set shooters and a pretty good big man but we don’t have that explosive type of player with exceptional athleticism.

wow i thought they played pretty good d for most of the night. I thought we were going to get destroyed when Luka
got in foul trouble and wieskamp is sick and JBo is still recovering. what we saw is the bench can hold their own and they are young and will get better. I also thought this is the most scrappy team i have seen at iowa. I didn't mind them loosing as they seemed like they put it all on the line. I felt many times last year that wasn't the case.
This was kind of my take as well. On a night when three of our most important players were non-factors, I was pleasantly surprised at how well other guys stepped up. This team has a little more grit than I anticipated.

That said, I still don't see the talent level required to compete with the upper tier of the B1G, and, unfortunately, also don't see that changing in the future under Fran. We'll have the occasional big upset to charge up the fanbase, but expect to see bottom half B1G finishes the next few years.

The second half defense was bad. I don’t remember Fran switching it up.

22 hit some long threes that loosened up lanes.

The second half defense was bad. I don’t remember Fran switching it up.

22 hit some long threes that loosened up lanes.

I remain concerned about the defense.

Iowa had no answers in the second half UNTIL they went smaller and quicker (Evelyn and Toussaint specifically). I thought that slowed down SDSU and got us back in the game after falling down 7-8 or whatever it was. Unfortunately we missed some scoring opportunities and couldn't quite get over the hump but thought that lineup worked defensively at least.

Then I think later we brought JBo etc. back in and SDSU started scoring at will again late. Or at least that's what I thought I saw from my couch....

Not sure if it was a matter of lacking intensity.. Just thought our D was more effective with a quicker lineup in the second half.

Tonight I just caught the last nine minutes of the game. Also saw that we gave up over 50 points in the second half. The lack of defensive intensity can kill your ass. You can’t expect to win if you give up over 50 points in any half of basketball.

We also saw the difference between very quick guard play vrs average middle of the road B1G conference guard play.

Damn shame Fran just can’t get that game changer premier guard to come to Iowa.
Thought you were being sarcastic. Then I read the next couple posts. Watch the whole game. The defense is improved and the basketball IQ is way higher IMO. We have a lot of gamers on this team. I can appreciate a gutsy effort and see the potential...even in a loss.

I remain concerned about the defense.

Iowa had no answers in the second half UNTIL they went smaller and quicker (Evelyn and Toussaint specifically) and that slowed down SDSU and got us back in the game after falling down 7-8 or whatever it was. Unfortunately we missed some scoring opportunities and couldn't quite get over the hump it thought that lineup worked defensively at least.

Then I think later we brought JBo etc. back in and SDSU started scoring at will again late. Or at least that's what I thought I saw from my couch....

Not sure if it was a matter of lacking intensity.. Just thought our D was more effective with a quicker lineup in the second half.
SDST’s “adjustment” was pretty obvious. Whoever JBo was guarding (and Fran had him on the PG instead of SG—Fran countered after the damage couldn’t be undone) would drive and break down the defense.

Fran will probably have to relearn this since there’s nothing in history that indicates other teams do this.

Lol what? He hit a couple of big 3's and is above average as a passer and is one of our better defenders. He's also a pretty good free throw shooter.

Was watching the game with my son

He was screaming at the TV, put Toussaint back in

JoeT had 22 minutes and ii didn't seem enough. Bakari looked very good, solid floor game and cool composure

Connor scored 15 last night, Fredrick was leading scorer with 16, not going to see that very much, but we needed him in to keep close. Our starting 5 was worn out, battered and bruised by the TT game. With even a day's rest, we would have had a better shot but the zebras still would have given the game away

Thought you were being sarcastic. Then I read the next couple posts. Watch the whole game. The defense is improved and the basketball IQ is way higher IMO. We have a lot of gamers on this team. I can appreciate a gutsy effort and see the potential...even in a loss.

Well maybe so. I also have to consider that we had to play extremely hard the night before and may have spent ourselves somewhat energy wise unlike San Diego State.

I just looked at the half time score and saw that they scored like 52 or 53 points against us in the second half.

Latest posts