Official Cubs offseason thread

OK, I'm kinda ticked off at what the cubs are doing with their ticket sales. They are selling them on their website starting today for a 20% mark-up of what would be "face value". I find this as kinda of scr*wing over the regular fan like myself. They already have ticketmaster charges and a convenience charge on it as well. Regular tickets go on sale this Friday. I was really thinking about making maybe one or two trips over, but now I'm having second thoughts. I saw a tweet that someone said they are scalping tickets to their own fans...and that's basically what they are doing. Am I dumb for thinking this is wrong? I'm sure they still won't have any problems selling out most of the games. *Sigh*

I have been pretty optimistic the past few years heading into the season, but I think we are a .500 team as of right now. Soriano was garbage last year, and I don't know if we can expect him to do much better this year, especially considering his age. Lee had a great year in '09, after having a couple sub-par years. Who knows which Lee will show up this year, but age isn't on his side either. Aramis is a great talent, but has had problems staying healthy and his motivation is sometimes in question. I think Byrd will be fine, as he has the mental makeup to take the heat in Chicago, and Nady should do fine as well. I really like Theriot, but he's a horrible SS and an average leadoff hitter. Baker and Fontenot will be an average 2nd base platoon, and Fukudome has proven to be an average player at best. Who knows what we will get out of Soto. He was an average minor league catcher before he burst onto the scene a couple years ago and then had a great year for the Cubs. Last year he got fat and his production was awful. He's dropped the weight again, so hopefully that means a good year from him. His looooong swing scares me though. We don't have an ace pitcher, although many Cubs fans think Zambrano is that. He's an average pitcher that brings no-hit stuff to the table 5-8 times per year. No doubt he has the stuff, but an "ace" brings it every game and also is a leader. Zambrano followed his '08 no-hitter up with giving up 7+ runs in the first inning the next game. That right there sums up Zambrano. Dempster and Lilly are solid #2 and #3 guys, but Wells scares the $hit out of me this year. He has average stuff and never really did much in the minors. It kind of reminds me of Soto and the big year he had two years ago. I expect Wells production to drop off big time...I hope I'm wrong. People are worried about the #5 spot in the rotation, but I think Gorzellany will be fine there. Marmol worries me a bit in the closer spot, but his stuff is filthy and should be fine once he gets completely settled in. Guzman should be a solid setup man, but the kid has had the injury bug his whole career so we need to be careful with him. The rest of the bullpen worries me a bit. Every year I post team/players predictions and I'll post those here right before the season starts.

PS - I hope Starlin Castro turns out better than Felix Pie and the host of other "can't miss" prospects that turned out to be busts.

Here's a story on the 1st workout for the Cubs (with accompanying video).

Cubs size up pitching in first workout | cubs.com: News

They already have injuries. :( Lilly may be getting an MRI on his right knee. He had arthroscopic surgery on the other knee last year. This may not bode well for him this season (it was already unlikely he was going to start the season healthy).

I haven't read a single post in this thread, but I bet the quotes go something like this...

1. This is their year.
2. Cardinals suck.
3. Wrigley is God's gift to sports stadiums.
4. Goats are the root of all evil.
5. South side of Chicago isn't really Chicago.
6. Zambrano will win the Cy Young, hitting championship, and will turn Ellen's wife Porsche straight and she will have his children.

Then April will hit and the Cubs will win a few...

1. This is the year, I told you so...
2. Zambrano is 2 and 0, batting 500, dating Porsche, he'll win us a couple in the playoffs
3. We'll take this momentum straight to the NLCS on the way to the series!
4. I love baseball!

Then October...

1. Idiots, they suck, worst team ever.
2. Stinking Zambrano been hurt the last two months, visiting Wood and Prior
3. Damn goats.
4. At least we don't have to watch the cubs suck for another few games...
5. You think Yanks will take it in 4 or 5 this year?

I'll copy and paste this next year at this same time. Might have to switch in a new game for Zambrano though...

I'm trying not to get too excited about the hype for Castro, but it's hard after reading this -

Starlin makes sterling first impression | cubs.com: News
Not sure I like this comment from Soriano:

"He's very young, but mentally, he's older than 19," Soriano said of Castro. "He knows what he wants to do. I think he'll be OK."

So, he's probably not 19! :)

Also, when I read today that they will play Fontenot at SS in the spring to develop him as a backup, I realized we won't see Castro this year in Chicago (unless something really strange happens). That said, I can't wait to see him play.

Not sure I like this comment from Soriano:

"He's very young, but mentally, he's older than 19," Soriano said of Castro. "He knows what he wants to do. I think he'll be OK."

So, he's probably not 19! :)

Also, when I read today that they will play Fontenot at SS in the spring to develop him as a backup, I realized we won't see Castro this year in Chicago (unless something really strange happens). That said, I can't wait to see him play.

Please tell me that you're kidding.

If it's from Muskat, I'm not going to take it too seriously. I still contend that Blanco should be starting at short with The Riot moving to 2nd.
I agree that she is not the best source. I was referring to Lou's quotes in the story. I would be interested in Blanco at SS and The Riot at 2B as well (after thinking about it). I haven't heard much about Blanco yet and I hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

This is our year

The Cardinals have bad starting pitching and no one to hit behind Albert P

smiley-laughing001.gif
smiley-laughing001.gif
smiley-laughing001.gif
smiley-laughing001.gif

Really??? Carpenter and Wainwright 2nd and 3rd in the Cy-Young last year. Matt Holliday batting behind Albert.

Latest posts