Official Cubs offseason thread

Luis Castillo? Really? Wow. I know we need a leadoff hitter, but I don't see him being the answer. I was hoping DeRosa would come back to play 2B even though I know he can't lead off.

Luis Castillo? Really? Wow. I know we need a leadoff hitter, but I don't see him being the answer. I was hoping DeRosa would come back to play 2B even though I know he can't lead off.

The lack of available talent at the leadoff spot is bad...I think DeRosa is due for a big decline so Im glad we didn't overpay for him...

Jeff Baker is every bit as versatile as Mark DeRosa was, is 9 years younger, and will cost the team a lot less.

The last thing the Cubs need on the roster is another second baseman...if DeRosa came back, that'd be 4.

Jeff Baker? Not quite as versatile as DeRosa who can play the corner OF positions where Baker cannot. I see the cost savings with Baker, but I don't see Baker as the answer at 2B. There is a 6 year age difference (28 to 34). Also, Castillo is 34 as well. The other 2B (Blanco and Fontenot) are not the answer either.

I am sure Hendry didn't want to swallow his pride and have to admit the DeRosa trade from last year was a mistake. I don't think this will make or break the season, but the Cubs have a lot of work to do.

Jeff Baker? Not quite as versatile as DeRosa who can play the corner OF positions where Baker cannot. I see the cost savings with Baker, but I don't see Baker as the answer at 2B. There is a 6 year age difference (28 to 34). Also, Castillo is 34 as well. The other 2B (Blanco and Fontenot) are not the answer either.

I am sure Hendry didn't want to swallow his pride and have to admit the DeRosa trade from last year was a mistake. I don't think this will make or break the season, but the Cubs have a lot of work to do.

Baker could easily play left as well as Soriano; I'm sure he can turn singles and pop-ups into doubles off the wall just as easily as Soriano can. Baker also played some 3rd base last year, and if he can play 3rd he can probably play first if necessary.

With his range, Blanco is more suited for shortstop, but I can't see the team making that move.

I also don't think it's a matter of not re-signing DeRosa that was a mistake, it was turning around and using that money (along with Jason Marquis money) to sign CAMB.

No debating how bad Soriano is in LF. I wish that whole deal with Soriano would go away but we know it will be tough to move him for a while if ever. I think Jake Fox could have butchered up LF as easily as Soriano, but the Cubs traded him to the A's.

I think Blanco can be a nice utility man at both SS and 2B. By the way, it wasn't the DeRosa wasn't resigned, he was traded to Cleveland for 3 pitchers after the Cubs acquired Aaron Miles (what a mistake) last offseason. We have seen one of those pitchers (Stevens), but it is still too early to see what happens with those pitchers.

Oh well. It might be a tough season this year unless we stay completely healthy, but it would be one more season closer to Ryno being the manager! :)

If it was up to me, I would move Blanco to short, move Theriot back to 2nd (his natural position), and see what you can get for Fontenot.

If you count Theriot, that leave the Cubs with 5 second basemen on the roster.

I agree with moving Theriot to 2B would be a good move. I think that is the position that suits him best for the entire season. I think Blanco would provide solid D at SS. Baker could be a solid utility man in this rotation as well. I am not sure what you would get for Fontenot, but I think your scenario is probably the best.

If you're looking for a short stop...look no further.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZFNhczWF7E"]YouTube- Burnout 2 PS2 - Crash Mode - Out of Control Tower GLITCH[/ame]

Right around 0:14...woah...that's a short stop.

Last edited:
The Cubs have signed Marlon Byrd to a 3 year, $15 million contract. The hope is that he is the starting CF sneding Fukudome back to RF. He follows his hitting instructor from Texas to the Cubs. He is not a typical leadoff hitter, so we will see what the Cubs do there.

I agree with moving Theriot to 2B would be a good move. I think that is the position that suits him best for the entire season. I think Blanco would provide solid D at SS. Baker could be a solid utility man in this rotation as well. I am not sure what you would get for Fontenot, but I think your scenario is probably the best.

Also to note, Sterlin Castro is only 19 but a hot young SS prospect...he's getting an invite to spring training to see if he's ready now. My guess is he plays AAA this season and will be in bigs for 2011 season. Hopefully they can make due this year.

I just heard about the Byrd deal as well...I'm OK with it. Hopefully he can come in and contribute, doesn't need to be "the guy" in this line-up. I'm really hoping for a better season for Soriano as well. He did battle injuries for a good part of '09.

Agreed. The Cubs have not likes to play guys like Castro right away, but maybe he will have an upside that will translate for 2011.

I just heard that the Cubs reached a one-year deal with OF Xavier Nady. While this could be a risky move (coming off Tommy John surgery), I think he is worth the risk of seeing if he can return to his past #'s - His last healthy season was 2008, when Nady hit .305 with 25 home runs and 97 RBIs for the Pirates and Yankees. I'm sure the deal is more incentive-based. I hope it works out!

X-factor: Cubs to add Nady to mix | cubs.com: News

It's Gonna Happen! I just drank a big glass of kool-aid. Hope this works out well for the Cubs. I'm excited to see the young Castro play if he is in Des Moines. Along with Ryno.

Latest posts