***OFFICIAL CUBS OFF-SEASON THREAD***

Cubs still in the Running for Jon Lester. And close to finalizing a deal for Miguel Montero. Doesn't sound like they'll have to give much for Montero, I like the move. Upgrade in catching with him and Castillo both on the roster.

Getting Montero cheap would be a nice addition. He has struggled batting up to his norm the last two seasons, but the deal could end up being low risk/high reward if he can get back close to his 2009-2012 numbers. Still only 31 years old, he could have a few more really good seasons. Hopefully a change of scenery will reignite his bat.

Getting Montero cheap would be a nice addition. He has struggled batting up to his norm the last two seasons, but the deal could end up being low risk/high reward if he can get back close to his 2009-2012 numbers. Still only 31 years old, he could have a few more really good seasons. Hopefully a change of scenery will reignite his bat.

He will be a good bridge to hopefully bringing up Schwarber in 2-3 years too. From all reports he is great with younger players and could really help Schwarber. If Schwarber keeps hitting like he has thus far though, he might push the envelope to 1-2 years and a promotion. I have stated on here before, I LOVE Schwarber and just think the guy is a Winner. Really excited about him.

Super pumped for this season!

This is what is great about having so many home grown players on the roster....you can afford to go out and sign a few FA players that don't hamper your financial flexibility. Starting staff with Lester at the top now looks much more formidable.....Lester, Arrieta, Hammels, Hendricks, and then looking for a 5th guy to step up.

This is a statement move for the Cubs for sure! Rest of the league is taking notice for sure, they see the home grown talent and combined with our financial power (which we have never used properly) they are shakin boys! I am trying to temper my excitement slightly though, as it seems like most of these deals don't work out the greatest. Pitchers are very risky especially. But we need to take a few risks right now. When you think about it, we used the money we saved on Smardz to spend on Lester (Smardz will get $20+ million easy in this market) plus we got Russell, McKinney, Hammel too. Basically that Smardz trade turned in to Smardz for about 4-5 guys, totally screwed over Oakland.
Be prepared for us to make one more big deal. Theo knows with Montero/Lester now, that we can compete next year with one more veteran bat/leader I believe. I read Monday that they plan on using Bryant at multiple positions this spring too, which is good. I still see him as a LF myself.

Rumors out there that the Rays may make Longoria available. Signed through 2022 I believe to a pretty fair contract. Reunite with Maddon?

Rumors out there that the Rays may make Longoria available. Signed through 2022 I believe to a pretty fair contract. Reunite with Maddon?
We have a lot of infielders, but I will take Longoria all day every day. Rumors out there now that the Cubs are looking at Johnny Gomes. Not as thrilled about that one. But we got Lester and that makes me happy.

We have a lot of infielders, but I will take Longoria all day every day. Rumors out there now that the Cubs are looking at Johnny Gomes. Not as thrilled about that one. But we got Lester and that makes me happy.

Yeah the Gomes thing has been out there awhile. Not as a main piece but just 4th outfielder and clubhouse leader. I also wouldn't be completely shocked if the Rockies made Tulo or Gonzo available. Tulo could play 3rd for us. To get any of these guys including Longoria, we'd have to surely give up one of our top SS, a top Pitcher, Alcantera and perhaps one more.
I saw a report that the Royals will only give up a top reliever for an impact RF or SP. Wonder if they'd take Soler for Holland?

Torn on this lester signing...
alfonso left a baaaad taste..

I hear ya, most likely it'll not be great in a few years. What it does is serve notice to the rest of the league we'll be aggressive and we're coming after them. Pressure is on the Cardinals a little. The Cards GM, in his own words last night said "We've always felt the Cubs are a sleeping giant, and now the giant has awakened." I couldn't agree more. We have never played like the rest of the big boys and now are.

Torn on this lester signing...
alfonso left a baaaad taste..

The reality of the MLB free agent marketplace is you pay for 6 or 7 years to get 3-5 years of good production. GM's understand that going into bidding on a player like Lester, but it is the way the MLB free agent market works.....good for the players, not as good for the ballclubs.

The reality of the MLB free agent marketplace is you pay for 6 or 7 years to get 3-5 years of good production. GM's understand that going into bidding on a player like Lester, but it is the way the MLB free agent market works.....good for the players, not as good for the ballclubs.
Ya i hear ya, but sorry sori never gave us 1 year!

Didnt Lester go through cancer treatments in the past? His record last year wasnt too great and wasnt that his best year? Im just worried but hey, whats another 106 years? Right?!

Good points, this is why building a great farm system is so important because its hard to rely on deals like this often. Lester is as much about the leadership aspect, IMO, as anything.

And to say Sori didn't have any good years may be going a little far. He had a few solid years, but overall just didn't become a "superstar" like his salary said he was. He was always classy though even with the pressure.

Ya i hear ya, but sorry sori never gave us 1 year!

Didnt Lester go through cancer treatments in the past? His record last year wasnt too great and wasnt that his best year? Im just worried but hey, whats another 106 years? Right?!

Couldn't disagree with that more.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/soriaal01.shtml

He hit over 30 HR three times as a Cub, including 2 years over 100 RBI's, one a career high.

Did the Cubs get what they were paying for out of Soriano? No. That's what happens when you sign star players to big contracts via free agency, especially guys that are 30+ when you sign them, but let's not pretend that Soriano was worthless in a Cubs jersey and didn't have any good years.

I expect more or less the same out of Lester - maybe not as good as when he was last year, but I'm sure the Cubs will still be better with him than without. I'd say last year was an anomaly for Lester, with his ERA being around a full run lower than he typically produced. That's the only thing that concerns me.

Lester was 16-11 last year with a 2.45 ERA and over 200 K's. Not sure what you see that's wrong with those stats. W/L record can also be deceiving when you play on a crappy team.

Last edited:
Couldn't disagree with that more.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/soriaal01.shtml

He hit over 30 HR three times as a Cub, including 2 years over 100 RBI's, one a career high.

Did the Cubs get what they were paying for out of Soriano? No. That's what happens when you sign star players to big contracts via free agency, especially guys that are 30+ when you sign them, but let's not pretend that Soriano was worthless in a Cubs jersey and didn't have any good years.

I expect more or less the same out of Lester - maybe not as good as when he was last year, but I'm sure the Cubs will still be better with him than without. I'd say last year was an anomaly for Lester, with his ERA being around a full run lower than he typically produced. That's the only thing that concerns me.

Lester was 16-11 last year with a 2.45 ERA and over 200 K's. Not sure what you see that's wrong with those stats. W/L record can also be deceiving when you play on a crappy team.
Great, how timely were those rbis and homeruns? I rarely missed a game and the joker swung at anything thrown near the plate and he couldnt catch a flyball without skipping like a 3rd grader. The guy swung a bat that weighed more than him.

If you think he was a good cub then
i couldnt disagree with you more. He was a giant waste... Thanks jim hendry

I hope lester tears it up, im just saying that im not all in. Lo siento

Hey Jj....what's up Bro? Hows that little girl doing? About 6-7 mos. now? Fun time in your family....

Latest posts