Official: Byrd to S. Carolina

I wish him well, I just don't know how well things will go at SC. Spurrier isn't going to be there more than another year or two, IMO. And SC's gross underachieving is the reason for that.

As I was sitting in the north endzone seating being lulled asleep by the very conservative, clock milking, run-right/run-left play calling in the second half of the PSU game - I was getting frustrated and just a bit angry. I turned to my buddy to vent a bit. I said:

"Why on earth would a stud recruit with speed to burn want to come here and play like this? Why would any blazing fast kid who wants to showcase his talents come here?"

Little did I know that this Byrd kid was in the house that night...

...perhaps thinking the exact same thing. :(

Last edited:
As I was sitting in the north endzone seating being lulled asleep by the very conservative, clock milking, run-right/run-left play calling in the second half of the PSU game - I was getting frustrated and just a bit angry. I turned to my buddy to vent a bit. I said:

"Why on earth would a stud recruit with speed to burn want to come here and play like this? Why would any blazing fast kid who wants to showcase his talents come here?"

Did we win the game? Yes
Do we have some guys get drafted to the NFL lately? Yes....

That's why you want to come here...

Well, guess what....Two weeks later, SC loses to freaking Kentucky on what had to be one of the worst coaching decisions over the last minute that I've ever seen and Iowa stomps all over Michigan in front of about 113,000 fans.

We can play this game all year and it doesn't matter. What matters is that Iowa is in the Top 10 in putting players in the NFL, plays in the premier conference in the country, has one of the Top 5 most respected coaches in the game that has a direct connection with several top level NFL guys. Not sure what else a top flight recruit could want.....

Crap like this pisses me off, if you don't enjoy going to the games then don't F'ing go and give your tickets to a little kid that would do anything to see a game in Kinnick.

Sorry not to take this out all on you but I am so sick and tired of Iowa fans ******** about this or that when the team is doing well. Give it a rest it gets pretty old and makes you seem petty and silly.

Better yet go cheer for a team that throws it all over the field if that's what you want to see. It's clear that you don't respect KF and what HE wants to do on the football field and can't appreciate the fact that he has done some pretty special things at Iowa with that BORING offense that you seem to hate so much.

I am sure WR recruits that watched the Iowa/UM game last week didn't think that DJK had a very good game and they wouldn't want to score 3 F'ing TD's in front of 110,000+ fans.

Unreal what some Iowa fans have turned into it's actually pretty sad.

And any recruit that can’t see the recent history of Iowa sending guys to the NFL and how well respected our HC is in that league then I am fine with them going someplace else.

I understand those things, DaDynasty. But this was my point.

Crap like this pisses me off, if you don't enjoy going to the games then don't F'ing go and give your tickets to a little kid that would do anything to see a game in Kinnick.

Sorry not to take this out all on you but I am so sick and tired of Iowa fans ******** about this or that when the team is doing well. Give it a rest it gets pretty old and makes you seem petty and silly.

Better yet go cheer for a team that throws it all over the field if that's what you want to see. It's clear that you don't respect KF and what HE wants to do on the football field and can't appreciate the fact that he has done some pretty special things at Iowa with that BORING offense that you seem to hate so much.

I am sure WR recruits that watched the Iowa/UM game last week didn't think that DJK had a very good game and they wouldn't want to score 3 F'ing TD's in front of 110,000+ fans.

And any recruit that can’t see the recent history of Iowa sending guys to the NFL and how well respected our HC is in that league then I am fine with them going someplace else.

Completely agree with you, its like winning isnt even enough for the fans now. Who the hell do we think we are USC/OSU? Iowa hasnt even been to the Rose Bowl for 25 years, let alone a national championship. I was at the PSU game with my Wife and it was the best game I have been to in Kinnick(2nd to when we went to Ames last year and watched Iowa thump the clones) the atmosphere and game was typical B10 football.

What was with that HI article where he said, "It's not what you think Hawkeyes'"?

That seems like a character-defining moment. With Grant, Vincent and whoever else comes on board I think we'll be happy.

Wow, hoffahawk…

You sure read a lot into my little post. All I’m saying is I’d like to see a bit more speed on the field at Iowa, but that it’s hard to get these speedy recruits here at Iowa and I was giving an example of why that might be.

Don’t know about you, but I liked seeing players like Tim Dwight on the field at Kinnick. I thought it was pretty exciting. But to each his own, I guess.

For the record I wouldn’t trade Iowa football for the Oregon variety in a million years. I prefer football players to ballerinas.

Also love KF and wouldn’t trade him for anyone, but I do wish he’d twist the knife every once in a while.

Last edited:
Wow, hoffahawk…

You sure read a lot into my little post. All I’m saying is I’d like to see a bit more speed on the field at Iowa, but that it’s hard to get these speedy recruits here at Iowa and I was giving an example of why that might be.

Don’t know about you, but I liked seeing players like Tim Dwight on the field at Kinnick. I thought it was pretty exciting. But to each his own, I guess.

For the record I wouldn’t trade Iowa football for the Oregon variety in a million years. I prefer football players to ballerinas.

Also love KF and wouldn’t trade him for anyone, but I do wish he’d twist the knife every once in a while.

iHawk,

First I want to point out (like I did in my post) that wasn't meant only for you. It was for people that post things like that about Iowa not winning by big enough margins or why don't we do this or that and I can see why this guy wouldn't want to come here because KOK is an idiot or runs a boring O, the same things we have been hearing year in and year out.

I apologize if that was the intent of your post, however when you say "lulled asleep by the very conservative, clock milking, run-right/run-left play calling in the second half of the PSU game - I was getting frustrated and just a bit angry."

It does come off that you were bored and questioned why a certain recruit would come to Iowa. That is what I took issue with.

If what you posted above is what you meant then why not just come out and post that instead of saying that you were "lulled to sleep"?

One last thing, I really don't think that the Iowa coaches have their meetings and say lets see how many slow guys we can get to come here, and we have had guys and do have guys on our roster with plenty of speed, my guess they don't see the field as much for a number of reasons and the type of offense we run isn't one of them.

That is all.

iHawk,

First I want to point out (like I did in my post) that wasn't meant only for you. It was for people that post things like that about Iowa not winning by big enough margins or why don't we do this or that and I can see why this guy wouldn't want to come here because KOK is an idiot or runs a boring O, the same things we have been hearing year in and year out.

I apologize if that was the intent of your post, however when you say "lulled asleep by the very conservative, clock milking, run-right/run-left play calling in the second half of the PSU game - I was getting frustrated and just a bit angry."

It does come off that you were bored and questioned why a certain recruit would come to Iowa. That is what I took issue with.

If what you posted above is what you meant then why not just come out and post that instead of saying that you were "lulled to sleep"?

One last thing, I really don't think that the Iowa coaches have their meetings and say lets see how many slow guys we can get to come here, and we have had guys and do have guys on our roster with plenty of speed, my guess they don't see the field as much for a number of reasons and the type of offense we run isn't one of them.

That is all.

I smell a bit a of a backtrack by iHawk. I always thought winning games was the most important thing. How it happens is secondary, or at least it should be.

No backtracking at all, just clarification. I toned it down in my second post so the message wouldn't be lost in the ruckus. Maybe "lulled asleep" was too strong.

The things that were incorrectly read into my post were that I don't like or appreciate KF, or don't enjoy going to games. Neither is true. In that game I would have preferred that we maintained balance on offense and scored more points to lock the win, rather than milking the clock to ice it. We could have done whatever we wanted in that game. Maybe KF didn't want to kick JoePa while he was down.

It IS possible to be frustrated with one aspect of the product, but still love the overall product; and not respond well to being called petty, or silly, or that you have "turned into" an undesirable type of fan.

Winning is absolutely the most important thing, but my contention is that the way the plays are called may impact the style of recruits you pick up, no?

And yes hoffahawk, I understand you weren't venting JUST at me. It's cool.

That is all.

Latest posts