!*****Official 'Badgers Enter A Very Tense Carver-Hawkeye Arena' Game Thread*****!

So can I make a conclusion from the minutes played in this game that Fran agrees with Dolph about a certain player who shall remain nameless?

Wisconsin is not a middle of the pack team. Where do you come up with this stuff? They were favored on our court. It's one game and we played pretty darn well. If this was Minnesota or Rutgers or Northwestern you'd have a point.

Here are a few sources that have predicted WI as middle of the pack:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24933783/big-ten-preseason-power-rankings

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/10/18/big-ten-hoops-preview-michigan-state-romeo-langford

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ens-basketball-media-poll-20181010-story.html

Wisconsin is #12 in KenPom, #7 in adjusted D. They will probably crack the top 20. They returned basically their whole team plus Trice who missed most of the year.

Presently constituted, they're not middle of the pack in anything.

Shut the F up you whiny bitch. Yes we have. Jesus Christ people get some perspective.

Who? Oregon? Pitt, maybe? We are facing murderers' row in the B1G. Wisconsin is a good team, but they aren't Michigan. Their style plays into Iowa's. Instead we go 4 minutes without points while half their team is almost fouled out. The table was set and we didn't eat.

Stanzi, I love you. But I don't whine, I bitch.

This is objectively the worst overall period of Hawkeye sports in 25 years. We're overrated, we have no guards who can drive and our bigs can't back anyone into the paint. The blueprint for beating this team is in. Get physical with them, and they fold. 8 - 12 in the B1G, NIT. Losses to MSU and ISU incoming.

Not to mention- 4 minutes, 17-0 run and we had 3 timeouts to end the game?

Perspective? Here's the rest of the B1G:

#7 Mich
#11 MSU
#16 OSU
#19 Purdue
#22 Wisky
#24 MD
#31 Indy
#35 Minny
#40 Nebby
Illinois
PSU
NW
Rutgers

If we were Creighton or Gonzaga, yep. Dancing. With the schedule to come? No freaking way. I think at most 6 teams go from the B1G.There are 5 better than Iowa. There's 10 losses. Say we split with MN and MD. 2 more. Out of the rankings, we're on the bubble. We needed to win tonight at home. We need to beat ISU.

I want people to have perspective. The perspective is that we need to have a winning record in the B1G to go to the tourney. We aren't good enough, and that's baffling since we seem to have the tools, outside of guards.

By the way, I've never insulted you. Refute me. Seriously, I'm about six drinks in and need some observations to talk me off of the ledge with this team.

Cuz predictions are right which is why they don’t play the games.
I was responding to your point about how did I come up with WI is middle of the pack. As Northside also pointed out based on games played so far, they are looking much better than that - so far. It remains to be seen where they will eventually finish in the B1G after they actually play the games.

Who? Oregon? Pitt, maybe? We are facing murderers' row in the B1G. Wisconsin is a good team, but they aren't Michigan. Their style plays into Iowa's. Instead we go 4 minutes without points while half their team is almost fouled out. The table was set and we didn't eat.

Stanzi, I love you. But I don't whine, I bitch.

This is objectively the worst overall period of Hawkeye sports in 25 years. We're overrated, we have no guards who can drive and our bigs can't back anyone into the paint. The blueprint for beating this team is in. Get physical with them, and they fold. 8 - 12 in the B1G, NIT. Losses to MSU and ISU incoming.

Not to mention- 4 minutes, 17-0 run and we had 3 timeouts to end the game?

Perspective? Here's the rest of the B1G:

#7 Mich
#11 MSU
#16 OSU
#19 Purdue
#22 Wisky
#24 MD
#31 Indy
#35 Minny
#40 Nebby
Illinois
PSU
NW
Rutgers

If we were Creighton or Gonzaga, yep. Dancing. With the schedule to come? No freaking way. I think at most 6 teams go from the B1G.There are 5 better than Iowa. There's 10 losses. Say we split with MN and MD. 2 more. Out of the rankings, we're on the bubble. We needed to win tonight at home. We need to beat ISU.

I want people to have perspective. The perspective is that we need to have a winning record in the B1G to go to the tourney. We aren't good enough, and that's baffling since we seem to have the tools, outside of guards.

By the way, I've never insulted you. Refute me. Seriously, I'm about six drinks in and need some observations to talk me off of the ledge with this team.

First off I apologize for calling you a whiny bitch. I reacted to your comment emotionally.

This loss was frustrating because it was a very winnable game. The B1G is really tough this season, and I think at least 7 teams will ultimately make the NCAA tournament. Outside of Michigan and Michigan State (who always has our number) I think we can compete with everyone. Our defense is significantly better than last season. That alone should result in several extra conference wins. I also like what I'm seeing from the team in terms of overall effort and intensity level. There seems to be a lot more emotion which in Iowa's case is a good thing. Last year there was really just a bad vibe with the team. That seems to be corrected this season although if the team goes on a losing streak then all bets are off.

I'm trying to stay positive with this team and there have been some definite positives. We nearly beat a Wisconsin team that returned basically everyone from last season despite shooting 6-24 from downtown. Bohannon has yet to find his shot and we have two seasons of evidence that supports he will find it. Moss will have several good games in him where he breaks out and we wonder why he doesn't do it more often. Cook seems to be playing smarter (less driving into the lane like a bull and turning the ball over or getting called for a charge). Garza continues to be a force. McCaffrey is probably the biggest surprise to me. He just runs the offense better than Bohannon and he's able to feed the post so much better than Bohannon. He's not a sharpshooter but he has size and is smart with the ball.

I see no reason we can't win at least 10 games in conference play and that should be good enough for an NCAA appearance. We have to avoid bad losses though. That's the caveat. If we drop games that we shouldn't it will be very hard to make the wins up elsewhere. Overall I'm far more optimistic about this year's team than last year's.

I was responding to your point about how did I come up with WI is middle of the pack. As Northside also pointed out based on games played so far, they are looking much better than that - so far. It remains to be seen where they will eventually finish in the B1G after they actually play the games.
They're like Northwestern football. They know the blueprint of navigating this conference. They knew where they could make the critical plays tonight, and get the critical stops.

I have no problem envisioning them where they usually are-in the top four of this conference.

First off I apologize for calling you a whiny bitch. I reacted to your comment emotionally.

This loss was frustrating because it was a very winnable game. The B1G is really tough this season, and I think at least 7 teams will ultimately make the NCAA tournament. Outside of Michigan and Michigan State (who always has our number) I think we can compete with everyone. Our defense is significantly better than last season. That alone should result in several extra conference wins. I also like what I'm seeing from the team in terms of overall effort and intensity level. There seems to be a lot more emotion which in Iowa's case is a good thing. Last year there was really just a bad vibe with the team. That seems to be corrected this season although if the team goes on a losing streak then all bets are off.

I'm trying to stay positive with this team and there have been some definite positives. We nearly beat a Wisconsin team that returned basically everyone from last season despite shooting 6-24 from downtown. Bohannon has yet to find his shot and we have two seasons of evidence that supports he will find it. Moss will have several good games in him where he breaks out and we wonder why he doesn't do it more often. Cook seems to be playing smarter (less driving into the lane like a bull and turning the ball over or getting called for a charge). Garza continues to be a force. McCaffrey is probably the biggest surprise to me. He just runs the offense better than Bohannon and he's able to feed the post so much better than Bohannon. He's not a sharpshooter but he has size and is smart with the ball.

I see no reason we can't win at least 10 games in conference play and that should be good enough for an NCAA appearance. We have to avoid bad losses though. That's the caveat. If we drop games that we shouldn't it will be very hard to make the wins up elsewhere. Overall I'm far more optimistic about this year's team than last year's.

No need to apologize - I'm just doing the math. I hope we can snipe one or two, and sneak in. The defense is better! Cook is better. Garza is stronger! But I freaking hate Wisconsin.

I don’t think you were responding to me but that’s fine.

You said “Wisconsin is a middle of the pack Big10 team”

That’s different pointing out Northside says they’re playing better than that “so far”

Which is different than all the link/writers predicting Wisky to finish in the middle of the pack.

Aaaaaand, I bet all of those links/writers will have Wisky in the Top20 .... obviously, so far

Which means to carry your logic through, if Wisky is just a middling team in the Big10 but a top 20 team then it’s not like the Big10 is a *meh* conference

Which also means that does not equate to Iowa necessarily having a short March.

We will give Sparty a game, could win. Just a hunch.
Very likely we will have the lead sometime during the game. Rutgers was ahead of MSU for a while in the first half. Generally its how teams are coached and play in the last four minutes that count. Even last year Iowa gave a lot of good teams a game, for a while.

Latest posts