OFFICIAL 2021 CUBS BASEBALL THREAD

Arrieta with the unconditional release this morning.
His unconventional release lead to the unconditional release.

Brennan Davis is coming. Justin Steele and Keegan Thompson and Braylon Marquez are in the mx as well.

Jake will forever have a rightful place in the Cubs pantheon. He won two World Series games in 2016, the one game playoff with the Pirates in 2015 (that Pittsburgh never recovered from) the Cy Young season, two no hitters, on and on.

But this game doesn't pause for sentimental reasons. He was getting his ass kicked out there.

I know it ain't the Cubs, and perhaps its blasphemy to mention the White Sox in a Cubs thread, but just curious-anyone going to the Field of Dreams game tonight? I am going to the Field in my living room to watch.........can't afford a grand for a ticket

WHAT. A. GAME.!!!!!!! Everything was perfect!
Seeing home runs hit into corn was special. Heard through a knowledgeable source that the earlier storms blew some stalks over, but they were ziptied back up.

also heard next year Cubs are playing there.

Just when you thought things had hit bottom....

.....the Cubs are currently getting piss pounded by the Miami (!) Marlins.

If not for a run scoring passed ball they would have given up two grand slams.

In one inning.

Seeing home runs hit into corn was special. Heard through a knowledgeable source that the earlier storms blew some stalks over, but they were ziptied back up.

also heard next year Cubs are playing there.
Cubs aren't playing there next year.

many, many times! Yes I've been to the St. Pats festivities. I've been to probably most of the bars, car dealerships, and even the sales barn more times than I can count! Born and raised in Dubuque and spent most of my adult life there. After 13 years in the sandbox called Arizona, I've moved back to Iowa.

Article mentions Cubs Cardinals for 2022

My father grew up on the northside, lifelong Cubbies fan. Of course, I had to rebel and be a Cardinals fan- SE Iowa was a 50-50 ratio back in the day. (cemented by meeting Bob Gibson in person at a Cubs Cardinals game at Wrigley, I was trying to get him to sign my baseball, but he just grabbed and gave my hand a shake....I didn't wash my hands for a week.........)

Anyway, nostalgia aside, if the cited scenario were to come to pass, I suspect tickets might be a bit hard to come by.............

It's approximately 200 miles from Chicago to Dyersville, approximately 350 from Saint Louis.

Pretty darn close to a neutral setting, especially with the amount of Cardinal fans in Iowa once you get south of I-80.

After this year's Field of Dreams game, which I thought was the greatest commercial for MLB that could have been produced (highest rated baseball game in 16 years), I pray they don't sully the event by trotting out this substandard Cubs team, despite their popularity. It would be a travesty to watch them get pasted as they are now. Give them a few years,

Article mentions Cubs Cardinals for 2022

My father grew up on the northside, lifelong Cubbies fan. Of course, I had to rebel and be a Cardinals fan- SE Iowa was a 50-50 ratio back in the day. (cemented by meeting Bob Gibson in person at a Cubs Cardinals game at Wrigley, I was trying to get him to sign my baseball, but he just grabbed and gave my hand a shake....I didn't wash my hands for a week.........)

Anyway, nostalgia aside, if the cited scenario were to come to pass, I suspect tickets might be a bit hard to come by.............
Mt Pleasant?

Cubs/Reds next year.
Of course. Well, the Reds seem to be the only team this diminished Cub team can beat this year, so maybe by next year they will have added a few pieces to bring them up a notch. C'mon Ricketts, you promised to raise the Cubs to the elite level, not just one or two years. Open that wallet and bring in some players that can hit over their weight and some decent pitching. I'm getting too old to sit thru another long rebuild.

Using the huge fanbase of the Cubs to pull this off. Cubs stink something awful and it's going to take a mountain of money to make them competitive again. So why didn't they spend the money to keep some key players. Hoyer jealous of a team that he didn't bring together?

Of course. Well, the Reds seem to be the only team this diminished Cub team can beat this year, so maybe by next year they will have added a few pieces to bring them up a notch. C'mon Ricketts, you promised to raise the Cubs to the elite level, not just one or two years. Open that wallet and bring in some players that can hit over their weight and some decent pitching. I'm getting too old to sit thru another long rebuild.
Much of it is on Theo as well. He was too sentimental to his core players.. But can you blame him? All baseball sabermetric logic would have indicated that the core that made up the 2016 team was young enough to take another step forward as hitters. He admitted in 2018 that the offense was broke but couldn't pull the trigger on guys he loved. Meanwhile Ricketts wasn't allowing him to lock any of them up either. Bryant, for one, has said he would have jumped at 200 mil had it been offered. I believe Kris when he says he never saw that type of offer.

It was the supporting cast that really he.ped put the Cubs over the top in 2016. Guys like Ben Zobrist, Travis Wood, Miguel Montero, Mike Montgomery. No team has ever won squat without those types of players and the Cubs wouldn't have either. But they gradually moved on and were never adequately replaced. Guys like John Jay and Daniel Delscaso didn't cut the mustard. The jury is still out on David Bote.

It's amazing the following the Cubs have considering decades of failure they seemingly have. Being on WGN all those years I'm sure had a lot to do with their popularity.

It's amazing the following the Cubs have considering decades of failure they seemingly have. Being on WGN all those years I'm sure had a lot to do with their popularity.
Cubs attendance declined in the 70's because the post WW2 fanbase they had as their core was aging out.

By the eighties baby boomers discovered the Cubs. And Wrigley Field became the world's largest tavern party. And Harry Caray was a virtual rock star.

But sure WGN and the ever folksy eternal optimist Jack Brickhouse helped as well. Hey! Hey!