Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Thread!

They have plenty of middle infielders that would make Russell expendable. I'd like to see them put a package of Russell, Schwarber and maybe Happ together to find a decent starter from an American League team.

For two years as well. They are preparing for life without Addy. His ex certainly could have another smoking gun up her sleeve. And plenty of time before he's reinstated to use it.

I think I've read that Russell's situation is much worse than has already been reported. It always amazes me that a young man, living his professional dream, could be so unhappy in his personal life.

I think I've read that Russell's situation is much worse than has already been reported. It always amazes me that a young man, living his professional dream, could be so unhappy in his personal life.
It is a shame really. The Cubs just need to cut their losses and let him go.

I see the Cubs added two RH relievers, Tony Barnette and Brad Brach, to their roster. Not earth shattering moves, but they obviously want to bolster their bullpen. Brach is subject to passing a physical.

There's been a lot of talk this past week of ways to speed up major league baseball games. Enforcing the between pitch clock, the three batter minimum, lowering the mound, enforcing the high strike, etc.

Well, on Friday, I finally heard a suggestion that would make some sense and not mess with any of the in game strategy. They suggested shortening commercial breaks between innings. Bingo!

There's too much time between innings and not all of it is even sold. Lots of PSA's, team advertisements, etc. filling the last 30 seconds of commercial breaks.

Commercial breaks are now either 2:30 or 2:45, not sure which. Eliminate one thirty second commercial every half inning and you will speed the game up nine minutes without changing any on field strategy or rules. You will make the existing commercial time more valuable to advertisers simply by supply and demand. It's fairer for the fans. And it will make the players happy. Ozzie Smith, for one, wouldn't even leave the dugout to go back on the field until the break was half over. He saw no reason to. And that was 30-35 years ago.

There's been a lot of talk this past week of ways to speed up major league baseball games. Enforcing the between pitch clock, the three batter minimum, lowering the mound, enforcing the high strike, etc.

Well, on Friday, I finally heard a suggestion that would make some sense and not mess with any of the in game strategy. They suggested shortening commercial breaks between innings. Bingo!

There's too much time between innings and not all of it is even sold. Lots of PSA's, team advertisements, etc. filling the last 30 seconds of commercial breaks.

Commercial breaks are now either 2:30 or 2:45, not sure which. Eliminate one thirty second commercial every half inning and you will speed the game up nine minutes without changing any on field strategy or rules. You will make the existing commercial time more valuable to advertisers simply by supply and demand. It's fairer for the fans. And it will make the players happy. Ozzie Smith, for one, wouldn't even leave the dugout to go back on the field until the break was half over. He saw no reason to. And that was 30-35 years ago.
That would be a win win all around. I still would like to see them speed the pitchers up. Some of those guys eat lunch in between pitches.

That would be a win win all around. I still would like to see them speed the pitchers up. Some of those guys eat lunch in between pitches.

Game speed is not an issue. If you love baseball you love the way the game plays out. I don't want people trying to rush it. I am all for limiting how many times a catcher can walk out to the mound etc. Average game time last year was less than a football game I believe around 3 hrs, that isn't bad. The issue is the lack of action right now because pitching is developing at a rapid pace and it is harder than ever to hit a baseball. Lots of strikeouts and lack of plays happening will be the main issue going forward. Lowering the mound or moving the rubber back a few inches might have to be discussed in a couple years if every pitcher is throwing 98+.

BTW, is it time for me to start a "2019" Cubs thread now that P & C are reporting?

Game speed is not an issue. If you love baseball you love the way the game plays out. I don't want people trying to rush it. I am all for limiting how many times a catcher can walk out to the mound etc. Average game time last year was less than a football game I believe around 3 hrs, that isn't bad. The issue is the lack of action right now because pitching is developing at a rapid pace and it is harder than ever to hit a baseball. Lots of strikeouts and lack of plays happening will be the main issue going forward. Lowering the mound or moving the rubber back a few inches might have to be discussed in a couple years if every pitcher is throwing 98+.

BTW, is it time for me to start a "2019" Cubs thread now that P & C are reporting?
I think it's time for you to start a new thread! I feel that's what boring about baseball. The wait the wait the wait for the ball to be pitched. I'm an avid baseball fan and I get bored with it. Lowering the mound or moving the rubber back is like do we raise the basket for the pros? Been lots of moves made in the Central Division this year. Going to be even a tougher division to win. Let's fly the W.

I think it's time for you to start a new thread! I feel that's what boring about baseball. The wait the wait the wait for the ball to be pitched. I'm an avid baseball fan and I get bored with it. Lowering the mound or moving the rubber back is like do we raise the basket for the pros? Been lots of moves made in the Central Division this year. Going to be even a tougher division to win. Let's fly the W.

I'm totally with you on this one. The game has become too long. Games should be 2 1/2 hours, 3 hours should be a LOOOONG game. Cutting out 9 minutes of dead commercial time would be a GREAT start. They also need the pitch count in the worst way. I am so tired of pitchers taking a full minute or two on the mound to compose themselves. I mean offensive and defensive coordinators don't get an unlimited amount of time to figure out what play to call, why should a pitcher get unlimited time to figure out what pitch to throw?

I mean those are two no brainers that need to happen now.

I'm totally with you on this one. The game has become too long. Games should be 2 1/2 hours, 3 hours should be a LOOOONG game. Cutting out 9 minutes of dead commercial time would be a GREAT start. They also need the pitch count in the worst way. I am so tired of pitchers taking a full minute or two on the mound to compose themselves. I mean offensive and defensive coordinators don't get an unlimited amount of time to figure out what play to call, why should a pitcher get unlimited time to figure out what pitch to throw?

I mean those are two no brainers that need to happen now.
Another thing that slows the game down. Batters getting to strike two, then fouling off pitch after pitch after pitch. Sometimes ten or more. Better pitching probably has something to do with it, but where are the Rod Carew's or George Brett's or Paul Molitor's, or many before them, who would shorten up and simply put the ball in play.

Here's a radical rule change that will never happen. Give the batter one foul ball on strike two. If he fouls a second one off, he's out. It will never happen but it would speed the game up.

I may be in the minority but I enjoy long at bats with the pitcher vs batter matchup battling back and forth. The strategy with each pitch and placement vs the batter's minor adjustments in his swing/approach based on the count can be intriguing. Even if the batter ends up striking out, it wears down a pitcher and allows the guy on deck to see everything the pitcher has on that day.

Same as the NL and DH. I like the strategy behind the moves that can be made in game and the roster construction taking into account bench players' and pitchers' ability to hit, bunt, run the bases, and field the ball. IMO those things are all fine as is and is part of what has made the game and it's unique situations entertaining.

The casual fan that just wants to see pitchers throwing 100+ and batters hitting the ball out of the park would probably disagree. Unfortunately it seems like more and more fans are leaning this way.

I really like the idea of making each pitcher face at least 3 batters. It's completely stupid when a team makes multiple pitching changes in the same inning when none of the pitchers are struggling. If you're a pitcher and you can't get hitters out on both sides then you shouldn't be in the freaking majors.

I really like the idea of making each pitcher face at least 3 batters. It's completely stupid when a team makes multiple pitching changes in the same inning when none of the pitchers are struggling. If you're a pitcher and you can't get hitters out on both sides then you shouldn't be in the freaking majors.
I just wonder how many fake injuries we'd see.

Guys guys guys.... I am saddened by some of responses here :)
Best thing about baseball is there is NO clock and you have to throw the last pitch, you can't just run out the clock if you are ahead. Football games are worse, 3.5 - 4 hours with tons of commercials and a play every 20-30 seconds.
If I'm driving all the way to Chicago, dropping $500 - $700 for my family to see a game at Wrigley no way I want it to just hurry up and get over and race through it. I want my monies worth and soak it in for a bit, grab some sunshine, smell the popcorn etc. Again, the game itself isn't the issue, it is lack of ball being put in play. All those who think you can simply "put a ball in play" when it is going 98-100 mph with movement have never tried it. Its not that simple anymore, pitching is just flat out filthy right now and technology is allowing them to fine tune it even more.

Now, get on over and follow the 2019 Cubs thread I'm bout ready to Start!

Cubs will launch their own sports network in 2020. Maybe I'll get to finally see all the games! $$$$

I can watch all the games now, although my cable system throws some of them on a lower def channels. This new Cubs network scares me. I suspect either I will have to pay extra to my greedy cable company or they won't carry the network at all.

I can watch all the games now, although my cable system throws some of them on a lower def channels. This new Cubs network scares me. I suspect either I will have to pay extra to my greedy cable company or they won't carry the network at all.
Oh yes more money is in the mix I'm sure. I probably still won't be able to see the games because Mediacom probably won't hold still for it.

Latest posts