Offensive Reboot

I think it is obvious that the entire offense needs to be burned down and start over. Top to bottom.
New OC
New Assistants
New Recruiters
New Roster Managers
New Players
New Scheme

I don't see anything worth retaining.
Just needed better execution or was it electrocution?

I think it is obvious that the entire offense needs to be burned down and start over. Top to bottom.
New OC
New Assistants
New Recruiters
New Roster Managers
New Players
New Scheme

Only the tiger hawk logo

I would keep Betts. He is a good recruiter and is spoken highly of. Hard to get rid of Hodge given the success of the TE room the last few years. Beyond that, I honestly have trouble evaluating the WR and OL coaches. Iowa has been so hampered by terrible QB play the last 3 years caused by the Ferentz's bad recruiting and development, that I cannot say that the other assistants are bad at their jobs. When you have statue QBs who like to give the ball away and cannot throw the ball downfield, its hard for other positions to exactly shine. Bad QB play stinks up the whole joint.

Whether we like it or not, I suspect KF keeps everybody and hires a sycophant OC who will just try to do what KF has done for 25 years better. Reality.

I would keep Betts. He is a good recruiter and is spoken highly of. Hard to get rid of Hodge given the success of the TE room the last few years. Beyond that, I honestly have trouble evaluating the WR and OL coaches. Iowa has been so hampered by terrible QB play the last 3 years caused by the Ferentz's bad recruiting and development, that I cannot say that the other assistants are bad at their jobs. When you have statue QBs who like to give the ball away and cannot throw the ball downfield, its hard for other positions to exactly shine. Bad QB play stinks up the whole joint.

Whether we like it or not, I suspect KF keeps everybody and hires a sycophant OC who will just try to do what KF has done for 25 years better. Reality.
Offensive line has been awful for several years. Talent at WR is at an all time low. Can’t get open and absolutely can’t catch. Qb talent and development very low. And worse than all of it is kirk’s oversight and management of the situation. No foresight and incredibly slow reacting. He’s always been way too loyal.

The entire offensive staff needs te-evaluated and reassigned or let go and Ferentz has to literally be forced to step away from the offense. It’s clearly over his level of expertise.

But none of this will happen because that’s how Iowa does things

Offensive line has been awful for several years. Talent at WR is at an all time low. Can’t get open and absolutely can’t catch. Qb talent and development very low. And worse than all of it is kirk’s oversight and management of the situation. No foresight and incredibly slow reacting. He’s always been way too loyal.

The entire offensive staff needs te-evaluated and reassigned or let go and Ferentz has to literally be forced to step away from the offense. It’s clearly over his level of expertise.

What you said is sad but oh so true.

So what is your justification for firing Hodge? He developed the likely NFC offensive rookie of the year and had two good ones cut down by injury this year. All with inept QB and playcalling. Abdul can coach.

Look, my view is that the OC should be given the keys to the kitchen and afforded the right to assemble his staff as he sees fit. If that means cleaning house, so be it, but I don't think that is necessary. There are pieces to work with on the staff and like it or not, continuity is part of KF's model that nets 8-10 wins a season.

New OC
New Assistants
New Recruiters
New Roster Managers
New Players
New Scheme

Betts and Hodge can stay. Barnett and Copeland should go. The new OC hire will be interesting along with QB coach

Oline needs retooled but tough to completely overhaul that position group but it damn near should be done

Qb room needs Hill to leave. doubt he will but man for the best of the program he really should find a lower level he can play at

RB room is crazy crowded. What a nice problem to have. I suspect in the coming weeks we'll see a body or 2 maybe 3 leave. But 1 for sure and my guess it'll be Paterson that'll go closer to home in FL beyond that heck if I know. Johnson had said he's coming back but that was a few weeks back he'd said that and kids change their minds alot...

WR room needs at least 1 guy to really step up. It's tough to know how good any of them are cause they just don't play or get used much. Brown, Bostick and Anderson will be back beyond that we need somenone anyone to really be able to do something. There's a handful of other youngsters so we'll see.

TE room I'm not even remotely worried about. Lachey is back along with the rest. IF All does then great even better but I'm not counting on that and that's fine.

Betts and Hodge can stay. Barnett and Copeland should go. The new OC hire will be interesting along with QB coach

Oline needs retooled but tough to completely overhaul that position group but it damn near should be done

Qb room needs Hill to leave. doubt he will but man for the best of the program he really should find a lower level he can play at

RB room is crazy crowded. What a nice problem to have. I suspect in the coming weeks we'll see a body or 2 maybe 3 leave. But 1 for sure and my guess it'll be Paterson that'll go closer to home in FL beyond that heck if I know. Johnson had said he's coming back but that was a few weeks back he'd said that and kids change their minds alot...

WR room needs at least 1 guy to really step up. It's tough to know how good any of them are cause they just don't play or get used much. Brown, Bostick and Anderson will be back beyond that we need somenone anyone to really be able to do something. There's a handful of other youngsters so we'll see.

TE room I'm not even remotely worried about. Lachey is back along with the rest. IF All does then great even better but I'm not counting on that and that's fine.

If All comes back, I am moving him to the X immediately, he is a better WR than anyone we lined up with this year.

If All comes back, I am moving him to the X immediately, he is a better WR than anyone we lined up with this year.
At times they did split him and Lachey out wide kinda. So yeah why not do more of that? We don't have them run routes further then 12-15 yards anyway it seems like.

At times they did split him and Lachey out wide kinda. So yeah why not do more of that? We don't have them run routes further then 12-15 yards anyway it seems like.
Lachey was split wide on most plays. Lachey was faster than Eric and has an enormous catch radius to just go over smaller players. Luke also went deep frequently. Just didn't have anyone very good at hitting him.

Eric is a much more physical player. Plenty fast. He's more of a very good traditional TE and Luke is more of a hybrid receiver, with good hands and good speed. I hope Eric returns because together he and Lachey are a potent offensive threat.

Be hell of attack if we had someone that could consistently hit them.

Last edited:
Lachey was split wide on most plays. Lachey was faster than Eric and has an enormous catch radius to just go over smaller players. Luke also went deep frequently. Just didn't have anyone very good at hitting him.

Eric is a much more physical player. Plenty fast. He's more of a very good traditional TE and Luke is more of a hybrid receiver, with good hands and good speed. I hope Eric returns because together he and Lachey are a potent offensive threat.

Be hell of attack if we had someone that could consistently hit them.
Your analysis is simply accurate. Kind of out of place here, but what the hell…

Just needed better execution or was it electrocution?
Lol, yeah waiting for the governor’s pardon at the last minute. Unfortunately he is caught up in traffic.

I’d take the Penn State Coordinator who had top twenty offenses and was let go. Kirk would swallow his gum.

Never thought I would see the day when fans would wear paper grocery bags mask over their heads at the games with the words “Fire Brian” written on them.

As a cameo appearance and as a joke at the next game they should wear them again but write “I got fired” on them. Also at the bowl game someone could have made a black casket made out of cardboard with the words “Iowa Offense” written in white on it. Then let the fans pass it around over their heads in the crowd at the game.

Sorry,

I guess they say that sometimes people can find humor in sad situations.

Last edited:

Latest posts