Offensive play calling

bucksnducks

With Ruddock gone, and CJ as the QB, I think we saw a very well called offensive game....sooooo was it Greg Davis improving or what? We saw the shovel pass, and a couple nice passes over the middle that we didn't see last year. I liked what I saw, and can't wait to see what changes are made for this week!

Does make you wonder whether Davis made some changes at the behest of Ferentz, Ferentz finally let Davis run what he's been wanting to, or some other combination.

It is one game, a game they pretty much controlled from the start.....Lets see what happens when they can't dictate things....Lets see what happens when certain things are taken away and they have to take some risks.

KF said that they looked at everything during the offseason - anything to get an edge. He also said that the shovel pass was blown up every time they ran it in practice, so he was pretty nervous when Greg called it.

I'm not going to complain about the play calls. They fit the game and obviously around CJ. QB keeper is what I expected down in the goal area and we capitalized. This week, I hope we open it up more and keep it aggressive. On to the next!

PS. Was anyone pumped to see a play action pass on the first series for the Hawks? That was flashback and great to see.

KF said on postgame they all, coaches and players, seem to think they will huddle up most of the time. He said they still practice and can go uptempo.

From watching that marketing video session with Davis and the QBs meeting it is a complicated offense and maybe with CJ's stronger arm Davis is going to attack the safeties and the holes they leave.

The passes called seemed to be aimed at taking advantage of ISU loading the box. Screens and swing passes, the quick out passes to Vandy with blockers ahead and those two or three passes over the middle off of play action to spots vacated by safeties were all very good calls away from the pressure and defense.

The sample size of the play calling was so small the first game. We dominated and did nothing fancy. I definitely believe we need a few games before I will jump on the Davis bandwagon

About the only two things to nit pick over for me (and it's nitpicking I'm by no means being critical) are they didn't seem to target TEs much (no catches other then Outsey in garbage time) and no deep shots. But the game didn't call for it. How they used the running backs is about how most of us were hoping they'd have been used last yr. So is that some kind of cobo of the Oline/playcalling/Weisman/competition who knows. But for not knowing what to expect going into it I'm pretty happy

I concur with pretty much what has already been said, the temp. on the field could of had something to do with no vertical game. Hopefully this was just a peek of what we're going to see. If we can get rolling I would like to see hurry up no huddle to keep them on the field.

The thing that stands out to me is CJ's skills at QB. He gets the ball out to his receivers so quickly and throws it to spots where his receivers can run with the ball. He makes the short passing game successful whereas Ruddock was slow to release and behind the receivers. Vanilla package last weekend, expect we'll see much more as the season progresses. This Hawkeye team should be fun to watch.

LOVE the shovel pass! More counter roll out passes needed as well. Give me a screen too and a little jet screen

I got to a point in that game where I was really questioning whether Dreg Gavis was even within 30 miles of the stadium. Looked like Iowa of old to me, even Beathard lining up under center more than Rudock has the past 2 yrs. That's the Iowa of old.

Like to see some tight end action down the middle of the field as well, maybe a wheel route from a rb out of the backfield as well

Give CJ a lot of credit on his reads as well. There were at least 2, maybe 3 instances in which CJ recognized the blitz and got rid of it quickly and threw towards the blitz to take advantage of open space.

Still don't like the horizontal side line passes.... If the defense reads that correctly, thats a pick 6. Would love to see the jet sweep and TE passes over the middle

About the only two things to nit pick over for me (and it's nitpicking I'm by no means being critical) are they didn't seem to target TEs much (no catches other then Outsey in garbage time) and no deep shots. But the game didn't call for it. How they used the running backs is about how most of us were hoping they'd have been used last yr. So is that some kind of cobo of the Oline/playcalling/Weisman/competition who knows. But for not knowing what to expect going into it I'm pretty happy

That was a BIG complaint from Texas fans when Davis was down there.

Latest posts