Offensive ineptness - is this where it starts?

ohhawk

"At that moment, Davis was in the middle of his 38th year as a football coach, the last 13 of them at Texas with Brown. Until that moment, I had never seen so much as a flicker of his temper.
But when I asked him about his fundamental football truths — those principles embedded in the heart of a football coach — Davis reached under his desk. A book materialized. Davis called it his "quality control" manual. He opened it to the first page.
"I could give you a thousand numbers," he said.
Instead, he pointed to one.
His data showed that a category called "scoring offense" determines whether a team wins or loses. Davis had arrived at this conclusion by studying the top college football teams from the past 10 seasons. He motioned me closer to see.
"I know what causes winning and losing," he said, his pitch rising. "Don't talk to me about running the ball, throwing the ball. That's the No. 1 factor."
He composed himself. "It's not opinion," he said. "It's fact. If at some point that's not good enough, then that's not good enough."

Source - Excerpt from The Statesman / Austin, TX interview with Coach Davis on 12/2010: http://www.statesman.com/news/sport...ilt-a-career-molding-offenses-moving-1/nRTks/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So correct me here if I'm wrong but this seems to be at odds with some of the key components of the Kirk Ferentz philosophy of building strong defenses and controlling the game with a run oriented balanced offense. The article was written in Dec./2010 (shortly after his firing) and Davis was hired at Iowa in Feb./2012.

Seems like some significant differences between the two in what it takes to win games unless Ferentz believed with the Davis hire that were going to be better off at Iowa by converting to a passing "scoring offense" which I would find very hard to believe. So maybe we are now left with a hybrid offense and play calling that's not sure what it wants to be or what it is designed to be.

Whoa.........whoa.........whoa.

At Maryland, the defense gave up 31 and the
Offense scored 31. It's going to take a TOTAL team effort to
win the remaining 5 games. GO HAWKS

What does he mean by "scoring offense"? Is that average points per game or just a name for something different that he made up?

No, pal, it is going to take a miracle on par with turning water into wine to win the next 5 games. It's going to take a total team effort to have a chance to beat Illinois, Northwestern or Minnesota.

No, pal, it is going to take a miracle on par with turning water into wine to win the next 5 games. It's going to take a total team effort to have a chance to beat Illinois, Northwestern or Minnesota.

There are a couple games left on the schedule that feel '99-ish (or how I remember feeling back in '99 in other words). It isn't a matter of "are we going to lose", but "how much are we going to lose by".

There are a couple games left on the schedule that feel '99-ish (or how I remember feeling back in '99 in other words). It isn't a matter of "are we going to lose", but "how much are we going to lose by".

And which games are these?

I think I'm going to click on that link and read the whole thing...something is getting lost..... BRB.

what's the deal with complaining about the offense? iowa gave up 38 to Maryland? Won't win many games that way. If anything, it seems the defense needs to step things up a bit.

anybody ever wonder if maybe Iowa just has some crappy players? Is it possible that we're just so used to seeing gray that when we see a shade of gray we think its a whole new color? We see a guy make a good catch or make a nice run and we conclude that the guy is talented? I watched a lot of other teams out there this week. Guys running around, making plays speed, agility, emotion, the whole bit.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska. I think all 3 have the very real possibility of getting away from us.

Minnesota?? Are you serious? Those goofs just got beat by the bar none worst team in the league.
If anything we could pile on them if we get it together.
The other two, yes that possibility is there.

He is a genius. We win 100% of the games where we score more than the other team. Why won't anyone listen to him?

"Scoring offense"? What does that mean? I mean, I've thought for years that the meaning of "offense" was to "score" but to make such a big deal point about "scoring offense"?

Anyway, looks like GD has been working and collecting facts over the last 1/2 dozen years so that he can write a book called Non-Scoring Offense.

LB is the biggest problem this team has right now. If you don't count the kicking game of course

He is a genius. We win 100% of the games where we score more than the other team. Why won't anyone listen to him?

I think the OP got it right. GD is a foot on the pedal, full throttle, let's keep scoring OC. KF is a ball control, play defense and manage the clock HC. We now have neither.

what's the deal with complaining about the offense? iowa gave up 38 to Maryland? Won't win many games that way. If anything, it seems the defense needs to step things up a bit.

7 points came on a pick-6, but the D did not play well, either. But the offense played worse. The point of the OP is that at the culmination of 38 years of coaching, in 2010, GD's identity as an OC was a "let's keep scoring points" mentality. Then, somehow, in 2012, he decided to install some sort of "non attacking" offense? The offense we see at Iowa, to date, is mostly some hybrid "thingy" that KF tries to use as a ball control offense.

anybody ever wonder if maybe Iowa just has some crappy players? Is it possible that we're just so used to seeing gray that when we see a shade of gray we think its a whole new color? We see a guy make a good catch or make a nice run and we conclude that the guy is talented? I watched a lot of other teams out there this week. Guys running around, making plays speed, agility, emotion, the whole bit.

I think, for the most part, you are correct. Don't see this coaching staff correcting that.

Minnesota?? Are you serious? Those goofs just got beat by the bar none worst team in the league.
If anything we could pile on them if we get it together.
The other two, yes that possibility is there.

What makes you think Iowa can beat Illinois? They were lucky to get Purdue before they changed QB's....Losing to MD looks even worse after Wisconsin beat the snot of them.