Offensive ineptness - is this where it starts?

I think the OP got it right. GD is a foot on the pedal, full throttle, let's keep scoring OC. KF is a ball control, play defense and manage the clock HC. We now have neither.

I think the goal was to implement a more NFL-style short passing attack perhaps reminiscent of the Patriots. An offense predicated on short, safe, easy completions, that stretches the field horizontally allowing players to make plays in space with occasional vertical shots. You can see it sometimes when we get Bullock in space on a LB or run those first down 5-yard out patterns. The offense would mix with KF staples of ball-control, but perhaps update and improve efficiency.

We haven't proven capable of consistently executing this type of offense. Our tempo game is all but out the door. We aren't particularly good at the screen game, which is ironic because that fits the ball-control, low risk modus operandi.

When the offense gets in trouble, KF's instinct is to put more TEs and FBs on the field and play 3-yards and a cloud of dust football and Davis' instinct is throw out 5 Wrs and chuck the ball around. Its odd.

vinegar and water.

Hey, I just came up with the name or our offense!! Seriously, two very different philosophies just won't work. GD talks about throwing the ball is the answer, his biggest fault is that the pass calls he calls really act like a run. They aren't throws down the field for derp's sake!! There is a difference. He references "scoring offenses", to me those are quick hitting "vertical" passing teams, not short lateral throws to get the ball in players hands to beat the D one-on-one.

vinegar and water.

Hey, I just came up with the name or our offense!! Seriously, two very different philosophies just won't work. GD talks about throwing the ball is the answer, his biggest fault is that the pass calls he calls really act like a run. They aren't throws down the field for derp's sake!! There is a difference. He references "scoring offenses", to me those are quick hitting "vertical" passing teams, not short lateral throws to get the ball in players hands to beat the D one-on-one.

Ball-less Controlled offense.

Iowa's total defensive ranking among all FBS schools = 49

Iowa's total offensive ranking amongst all FBS schools = 114

Our defense had a very bad game against Maryland but our offense stinks it up royally and has every year since GD has been on board. KOK averaged around 68 or so, way way way better than GD's 90+ avg. When you look up our defense we show up on page one. When you look up our offense we are in the very back on page 3, with only 6 teams that are worse than us. Maryland is one of em and they've beaten us. Above them is Illinois, and they are ready to beat us as well. Wine about defense all you want but if something smells like s#=t, then it just might be!

He is a genius. We win 100% of the games where we score more than the other team. Why won't anyone listen to him?
LOL. thinking the same thing. If Davis' best reply is scoring more than the opponent, HE REALLY IS THE IDIOT WE ALL BELIEVE HE IS. My 6-yr old knows that!! Give us something technical, tendency, inside snippet or hint at a 'secret'. Instead, just "outscore the opponent". Genius!

We run the dang ball and win 10-3. We don't need any fancy dancy passuing.

or as Nick the bartender used to say

SheldonLeonard.jpg

"We serve hard drinks to men who want to get drunk fast and we don't need any characters around to give the place atmosphere."

Last edited:

Latest posts