Offensive plays run, by game:

vs. Tennessee Tech: 59
@ Iowa State: 72
vs. Pitt: 81
vs. UL-M: 67
@ Penn State: 64
vs. Northwestern: 50
vs. Indiana: 58

This Iowa team just doesn't run many plays, averaging just over 64/game with a 3 OT affair. Nebraska is averaging over 70; I don't even want to look at how many plays Northwestern is running. If anyone has historical data on how that compares to other years, I'd be fascinated to see it. I just can't remember a team that is so good offensively but barely runs any plays. It's this weird combination of having a ton of big plays, giving up long drives on defense, and having too many 3-and-outs. It's not that we're punting a lot (second-least punts in the league with only 23 through 7 games (!)), it's that we seem to either march right down the field or do nothing. Very little middle ground there.

Here's another key stat: we are last in the league in rushing attempts. There just aren't a ton of carries to go around. And it's not because we're pass-wacky-- we're second in the league in total passing yardage, yes, but only 6th in passing attempts per game.

So I realize fans want to see other RBs, more throws to the TEs, etc., etc. But the reality is that this team just hasn't run very many plays, and until they do, they aren't going to be inclined to go very far beyond their bread and butter (McNutt, Coker, and Davis).

Here is Norhwestern's stats on plays/game

2011 - 75 (through 7 games, 92 plays against Iowa)
2010 - 72
2009 - 80
2008 - 73
2007 - 78

Thanks for digging those up, Jon. Now that I see the continuity with previous years, I'm struck by the fact that Iowa's improved offense isn't correlated at all with the number of plays run. I'd expect that the number of plays would have gone up this year, as we seem to be moving the ball much more effectively (especially through the air), but they haven't. In fact, some of our most explosive games have seen the least number of plays run (obviously Pitt is the outlier there). Second, it's bizarre to me that this offense is relatively mediocre in third down % (44%) and so good in every other category. If we could just get a little bit better on third down, we could be running 70+ plays/game, and I think it would take a lot of pressure of our defense. It wouldn't hurt, that's for sure.

Iowa's offense averaged about 34 points per game through 8 games last year...this year will be the same...

It's the final four where last year's offense went into hibernation...we'll see about this group

Even the best Iowa defenses, we've used the term 'bend don't break'. Iowa's scheme demands the opponent to be patient and take the underneath stuff and be able to complete those passes consistently...some can do it some of the time between the 20's but you run out of room in the redzone...

Of course, that has been predicated with pressure on the QB with four and stopping the run...this year is a departure from the norm.

I humbly disagree.
Last year was also a departure from the Norm.

That defense was predicted as possibly one of the best Iowa defenses under Parker. Unfortunately, Iowa's defense ran into quite a few offenses that were proficient in the pass.

Last edited:
Iowa's offense averaged about 34 points per game through 8 games last year...this year will be the same...

It's the final four where last year's offense went into hibernation...we'll see about this group

So in other words, the title of my thread should have been "Normal stat: everything is pretty much the same as it was last year."

It's actually a pretty telling example of how perception doesn't match with reality, especially when I'm talking about something I'm emotionally invested in.

To steer this thread back to the original OP point:

IMO, FERENTZ traditionally relies on his defense to keep opponent's offenses from scoring enough points to win. This also means Ferentz relies on a defense that doesn't force the Iowa offense to make a final drive to score and win.

Ferentz's offense traditionally eats up clock to take further chances away from opponent's offenses. That's why there's traditionally a low number of offensive plays for a Ferentz coached Iowa team.

So to answer the OP: Olive, I don't know why there's the same number of plays this year. Ferentz is running the no-huddle. He's used time outs to score at the end of the Indiana game.

Ferentz wants to win. He can't rely on the defense like he'd like to. Maybe old habits are hard to break?

EDIT: Of course, allowing opponent's offenses to drive longer on the field takes plays/minutes from Iowa's offense.

Last edited:

As you also rightly pointed out ... the hibernation occurred right as the OL was without 2 of our top guards ... and we were also without our most experienced RB. Both of those factors not only hurt our ground game ... but it was also a significant shot to our pass-pro too.

This is just my opinion ... but from all appearances it seems like Iowa will have better developed depth on the OL and at RB this year. Here's some supporting evidence ....

While Coker definitely showed up in a big way towards the end of last season ... the only back-ups who had experience carrying the ball PRIOR to the LAST 4 GAMES were Coker (26 carries) and Rogers (9 carries). If you look at the '11 squad, we have: Rogers (12 carries), Johnson (16 carries), Canzeri (9 carries), Bullock (8 carries), and McCall (9 carries). I only mention McCall because he's been practicing and might actually be a viable option in the last 4 games, at least if the need arises.

As for on the OL, in '10, we had a bunch of 1st year starters. Not only that, but as has been pointed out ... Gettis and MacMillan were out. Furthermore, Boffeli was dinged ... so we then needed Koeppel to fill the vacant OG spot. Anyhow, our healthy depth was comprised of Reiff, Vandervelde, Ferentz (dinged), Koeppel, Zusevics, Orne, Van Sloten, and Tobin. Of the healthy back-ups ... Tobin and Van Sloten were the guys who had seen the most reps ... and they didn't see many.

Right now, our "healthy depth" appears to be comprised of Reiff, Gettis, Ferentz, Tobin, Zusevics, Scherff, Boffeli, Orne, Van Sloten, and Donnal. Scherff has easily seen the most reps as a non-starter. It appears as though Orne has seen the next most quality reps ... even earning his way on the field as a JUMBO TE. Between the past 2 seasons ... Van Sloten and Boffeli have both seen reps. Donnal has now seen reps in clean-up duty too. And, on top of all that, we're having MacMillan work his way back into game-shape too. If MacMillan is able to get back ... he doesn't only have quality prior experience, he has prior STARTING experience.

Thus, my impression is that the 2011 O is much better equipped to handle adversity (and bad weather) as we enter the final 4 games. In fact, the fact that Vandenberg has a background as a precision passer also suggests that he's well equipped to pass the ball in cold weather too.

Latest posts