Odd stat from Maryland game

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

Combined, only 7 FT were made: 4 by Iowa, 3 by the Terps (Iowa 4-6, the other guys 3-6). Uncommonly low for Div. 1.
Iowa had 9 steals, 6 by the quick and sneaky Joe To.
The Iowa bench scored 33 points.
Minutes played: Keegan Murray=22
Patrick McCaffery=18
Joe Wies.=18
C.J. Fredrick=17
Joe Tou.=15
Fran sent a message today to the starters.
IMHO, if we play defense the rest of the year like we played in the second half, yes, we CAN win the Natty.

How about the 61 combined 3 point attempts by both teams? You don’t see that every day. Iowa made 50% while Maryland made 34%.

The defense did improve and a lot of that was Fran sitting Fredrick in favor of Murray. I’m still concerned about the perimeter defense as the reason Maryland shot the 3 ball 35 times was because they were wide open and they could only convert 12 of them. A better shooting team like the Zags are going to burn Iowa on the perimeter.

But a win on the road is impressive. Hopefully Iowa can keep this streak going.

Combined, only 7 FT were made: 4 by Iowa, 3 by the Terps (Iowa 4-6, the other guys 3-6). Uncommonly low for Div. 1.

Patrick McCaffery=18
Joe Wies.=18
C.J. Fredrick=17
Joe Tou.=15
IMHO, if we play defense the rest of the year like we played in the second half, yes, we CAN win the Natty.

This is because Iowa zoned them and made them launch it from 3 which they weren't hitting.

Patrick McCaffery=18
Joe Wies.=18
C.J. Fredrick=17
Joe Tou.=15
Not an odd stat at all. Two outside shooting teams that almost never drive to the basket. Maryland shot 35 threes last night which is ridiculous. Iowa stayed in zone, so 7 FT is exactly what you'd expect in this game.

Iowa played damn good defense, don't get me wrong, but let's be honest...Maryland didn't drive the ball or pressure with inside passes whatsoever. They got way behind and had no choice but to start launching threes.

Hawks are largely the same type of team. No penetration threat so the only option is a triple teamed Garza or the three ball. What sets us apart is that Garza is good enough to either make those post-ups or at the very least get fouled, and we have way better shooters than a team like Maryland.

Working hard to get an open 3 and shooting a lot of contested 3s is also a lot different than getting a wide open 3 whenever you want like we allow some games. Every team in the nation can get a 3 pointer off every single time down the floor if thats what they want to do. Lots of attempts is a sign that maybe the perimeter defense is bad, but it doesn't mean it for sure wasn't. Last night was a case where it wasn't bad.

Maryland tried driving to the basket, but we were much better and quicker in stepping in to help the primary defender. Much improved on what I had considered our worst defensive shortcoming.

We will find out how good our zone is against Michigan. I'm not looking forward to watching their guards get penetration...and they will. Michigan has dismantled zone defenses with ball movement and penetration...lots of open threes and dunks.

Illinois is the team Im worried about. Quick, fast and penetrating. Not sure how good they are the 3, but I know how bad we are stopping penetration.

Illinois is the team Im worried about. Quick, fast and penetrating. Not sure how good they are the 3, but I know how bad we are stopping penetration.
Wieskamp would have to put his big boy shoes on for that game.

He is more than capable. He's had some of his best games against illinois

I think going to add Wisconsin as well, with Trice on that teams clicks. I absolutely despise that team

I think going to add Wisconsin as well, with Trice on that teams clicks. I absolutely despise that team
They are tall, talented, and experienced. Return all 5 starters from last year's Championship team.