OC Needs to Be Relieved Friday @ 6PM

I don't know that I said replaced, but if I did that was in error. What I recall is he was demoted when the 49'ers offense hit the wall and someone else was elevated to call the plays. I'm only saying that Roman isn't really an innovative guy in that he's essentially a pro style guy. Our offense needs something different.

What I would like to see is a guy who insert things on a situational basis. Spread formation - pro-style - option - trick play - fake - whatever will throw off our opponent. My words will be misconstrued, but I want someone who scratches where it itches. In yesterdays game-thread some poster (I forget who) said, "The next play is gonna be a screen." He was right. That sort of predictability has to end. If us rank amateurs know what play is gonna be called next, so do our opponents. It's crazy that Kirk is actually proud that our rivals know what they are going to get on offense and defense.

I'm not saying that GD is an excellent OC, nor that he is perfect for Iowa but I do believe that he is not far from being a perfect fit for Iowa teams under KF. In the losses this year, the common denominators were lack of identity on offense and inability to stay on the field (ie no breathers for our D) regardless of scoring. in the last 3 wins they've been physical run first and not put the D back repeatedly after 1 minute possessions. For a great season under KF, as the offense builds towards this identity (that arrives only in november) they need luck to survive 2-3 games but GD doesn't have the ability to manufacture that luck via playing the right guys and/or playcalling. In short, GD is decent but falls short just a tad. I am ok with suffering him another year at this point.

What I would like to see is a guy who insert things on a situational basis. Spread formation - pro-style - option - trick play - fake - whatever will throw off our opponent. My words will be misconstrued, but I want someone who scratches where it itches. In yesterdays game-thread some poster (I forget who) said, "The next play is gonna be a screen." He was right. That sort of predictability has to end. If us rank amateurs know what play is gonna be called next, so do our opponents. It's crazy that Kirk is actually proud that our rivals know what they are going to get on offense and defense.

We need an offense that attracts skill players. An offense that is fun to play in and to watch. If there are Hawk fans that think we're on the same level as UM or OSU and we can just say "here we come and stop us" and win the big games we need to, then great. But I don't think we are. That is why we need to get athletes and, to me, that means a new offense. If you take athletes and mold them into a precision offense, then logic tells you that you will have a better chance in big games that not having athletes.

Latest posts