Nunge Suffers Torn ACL

Zak Showalter and Gasser never played the 4 spot for UW. But they also aren’t 6’6 with a 7’ wingspan like Wieskamp. It can be done by Iowa and we might give up a little on the boards but I still think it’s worth it. I doubt Fran does it though.
They didn't play it on offense. But they would guard post players in a pinch on the defensive end of the floor. Pritzl did it last year when Happ and Reuvers were in foul trouble and we were up eight and it ended up being the difference. We kept forcing the ball into Cook and Garza and Pritzl, at 6'3 was effectively fronting them and denying (our poor space didn't help either.)

Schowalter used to give Adam Woodbury fits by sagging down on him as he guarded other players. That was the key to Bo Ryan's defense, along with the grabbing and hand checking and other crap they got away with. They rotated and communicated and recovered so well it was like they had six or seven players on the floor.

Another thing that stinks about this is the fact that Nunge was developing into a decent high post passer against zone defenses. I was looking forward to the Syracuse game and their zone defense.

Cordell has shown flashes that he can pass from the high post. More than ever we can't afford to lose him, or for him to have another setback with all his previous issues. Jack was quoted as saying that it took him a few games to get used to (paraphrase) "game speed and game intensity" and that he was getting close to finding his form.

There is probably some truth to this. For people coming back from injuries, or in Nunge's case a redshirt, the final step in the process is usually regaining the muscle memory that can only be regained in game conditions, and nowhere else.

Cordell is probably going through this as well. He looked a little timid in some early games, not quite sure of himself in the offense flow. He looked better Sunday so hopefully he is turning the same corner Jack was talking about. He'd better-we're running out of options down low.

I aint making excuses, this is Fran's roster management. Due to how many guys are injured he's gonna get a pass from administration but he doesn't get it from me. I expect the NCAA every year. It's highly doubtful and 1 in 4 isn't good enough at Iowa. I'd like to see him removed if we miss, but realistically that's not likely with this type of attrition being something that will be sold. Either way I expect his seat to be pipping hot in 20 and his buy out won't even be a discussion by that point as it drops every season. I'd be happier if Iowa just moved on... but we all know they won't. I'll hope for some weird antic to get him trouble again and maybe it will result from that. Either way, if the year goes like it appears, this kind of result isn't good enough for Iowa basketball.
Why don't we let the season play out before we jump to conclusions? We've only played 5 games.

conclusionsmat.0.0.png

Another thing that stinks about this is the fact that Nunge was developing into a decent high post passer against zone defenses. I was looking forward to the Syracuse game and their zone defense.

Cordell has shown flashes that he can pass from the high post. More than ever we can't afford to lose him, or for him to have another setback with all his previous issues. Jack was quoted as saying that it took him a few games to get used to (paraphrase) "game speed and game intensity" and that he was getting close to finding his form.

There is probably some truth to this. For people coming back from injuries, or in Nunge's case a redshirt, the final step in the process is usually regaining the muscle memory that can only be regained in game conditions, and nowhere else.

Cordell is probably going through this as well. He looked a little timid in some early games, not quite sure of himself in the offense flow. He looked better Sunday so hopefully he is turning the same corner Jack was talking about. He'd better-we're running out of options down low.
It should also help Cordell to know he’s now locked in the rotation...likely with as many minutes as he can handle.

What is strange to me is he gives his two sons full scholarships when one is a part time player, and the other one has had medical problems in the past that keep him from playing and practicing full time. It would be more palatable for me if Fran was earning his huge salary. I believe he is a hard worker, but that doesn't mean he is an above average coach.
Part time player? He’s a starter. And Patrick was a highly regarded recruit...way too early to write him off,

Zak Showalter and Gasser never played the 4 spot for UW. But they also aren’t 6’6 with a 7’ wingspan like Wieskamp. It can be done by Iowa and we might give up a little on the boards but I still think it’s worth it. I doubt Fran does it though.

Fran plays the players he has. He has gone big in the past because of the players we had available. Now we have 3 pist players on the roster. Wieskamp will probably play a lot of 4 this year.

On a side note. Does anyone know how tall Till is? I know he dunks easy but have never seen his height.

Fran plays the players he has. He has gone big in the past because of the players we had available. Now we have 3 pist players on the roster. Wieskamp will probably play a lot of 4 this year.

On a side note. Does anyone know how tall Till is? I know he dunks easy but have never seen his height.
Everyone keeps saying we only have 3 post players like that’s really thin. We only had 3 last year too, Garza, Cook, and Kriener. Baer played spot minutes at the 4. Most teams only carry a few true posts in today’s day and age.

The question for me is will Fran play Wieskamp down there at the 4, or will he stick to primarily Kriener and Pemsl.

But yes in a way I’ve been calling for Fran to go smaller and shorten the rotation, two things that might happen here. I feel terrible for Nunge and he seems like a great kid, so I don’t want that to be understated. But it’s possible that could be the silver lining. If Bohannon is a full go, that could change the perception of what we have here.

Till is listed at 6’7.

Everyone keeps saying we only have 3 post players like that’s really thin. We only had 3 last year too, Garza, Cook, and Kriener. Baer played spot minutes at the 4. Most teams only carry a few true posts in today’s day and age.

The question for me is will Fran play Wieskamp down there at the 4, or will he stick to primarily Kriener and Pemsl.

But yes in a way I’ve been calling for Fran to go smaller and shorten the rotation, two things that might happen here. I feel terrible for Nunge and he seems like a great kid, so I don’t want that to be understated. But it’s possible that could be the silver lining. If Bohannon is a full go, that could change the perception of what we have here.

Till is listed at 6’7.

We are thin in the post for what Fran has done in the past. Clearly no post players playing the 3 this year. Instead there will be some 3s playing as 4s. Like you said, last year was like that too, but Baer played minutes there. Wieskamp will this year.

Till is listed at 6’7.

I always felt like Baer was more effective at the 4. He was a post player in HS that developed a perimeter game when he got to Iowa.

I think that Patrick could fill a similar role if he can get healthy.

I think I brought up the going small lineup thing. But the more I think about it the more I think it's not going to happen. If both JBo and Patrick redshirt this year then that leaves us at 8 players. 9 if you include Till. We dont really have enough guards to play a 4 guard or small lineup with Wieskamp at the 4. We really need either Jbo or Patrick to play this year. Otherwise Wieskamp is gonna have to play 36 or 38 minutes per game. I also think it would be a disservice to Wieskamp to have him need to play in the post on defense. He will get beat up and worn down and not be able to help on offense.

Part time player? He’s a starter. And Patrick was a highly regarded recruit...way too early to write him off,
He splits his time between baseball and basketball. I hope the best for Patrick, but Fran knew when he recruited him that he was going to have issues with his health. With Fran being overpaid you would think he could cover their scholarships. Hopefully, Toussaint will start in the future. I don't see the possibility of an NCAA tournament if he isn't allowed to develop in games. It will be to late by the time conference season starts.

Just chalk this year up as a rebuilding year. Sit JBo and PMac. Get JoeT and CJFred as many minutes as possible so they're ready to make a big jump next year.

Call it a developmental year. Get a lot of players minutes especially the young guys if and when games are no longer in doubt. Mix your lineups to see who has chemistry together.

I always felt like Baer was more effective at the 4. He was a post player in HS that developed a perimeter game when he got to Iowa.

I think that Patrick could fill a similar role if he can get healthy.

I think I brought up the going small lineup thing. But the more I think about it the more I think it's not going to happen. If both JBo and Patrick redshirt this year then that leaves us at 8 players. 9 if you include Till. We dont really have enough guards to play a 4 guard or small lineup with Wieskamp at the 4. We really need either Jbo or Patrick to play this year. Otherwise Wieskamp is gonna have to play 36 or 38 minutes per game. I also think it would be a disservice to Wieskamp to have him need to play in the post on defense. He will get beat up and worn down and not be able to help on offense.
Agreed that’s why I’m holding out hope that Jbo can play, which may be unlikely but I can dream.

Latest posts