Nunge Suffers Torn ACL

I told the folks I sit with that Nunge looked about 17 years old before his red shirt. Now he looks more like 30. Seriously. Yes, a medical red shirt in a case like this seems a good bet. As a long time season ticket guy in football and basketball, plus attention to Lisa’s women, the hardest thing for me is not losing some games. It is losing young athletes to injuries.

so, no Cook, no Moss, lost Baer, lost Dailey, Jordan Bohannon sits the last game and his season is up in the air- Patrick McCaffery in limbo and out indefinitely. Lose Jack Nunge to an ACL for the season. The hits just keep coming

05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg
Unfortunately this happens ...usually to AIRBAG

The last couple years, everyone was complaining about Fran playing too many guys. Why isn’t everyone happy now with a short bench? That’s what you’ve all have been asking for.

You can’t fault Fran for a recruiting class that hasn’t stepped on campus yet. 2020 recruits are still in high school. Fran see's something in them. Give them a chance.

Every team loses out on recruits. Get over it. The alternative is Fran offers scholarships to a bunch of Maishe Dailey’s and we finish next to Rutgers and Northwestern in the toilet of B10 every year.

Iowa has finished at least .500 in conference play every year (except 17-18) the past 7 years. Per USA today, Fran is 10th highest paid coach in BIG conference this year. You get what you pay for Iowa. Fran wins the right way, you’ll never read about an FBI investigation or player’s misconduct with Fran.

Year Record Conf Place
12-13 9-9 4th
13-14 9-9 9th
14-15 12-6 5th
15-16 12-6 5th
16-17 12-8 7th
17-18 4-14 12th
18-19 10-10 6th

I feel horrible for Jack. Hope he’s eligible for the Jess Settles medical waiver & in Iowa City for 10 more years. Rant over, Go Hawks.

Just wondering here.... he's already had a redshirt season, taken voluntarily. Would he qualify for a second redshirt season due to injury?

I believe a medical redshirt is unlikely. My understanding is the 6th year is typically only granted when the redshirt was taken for reasons "out of the players control". Nunge was healthy and chose to take his redshirt. Which means no medical redshirt is available.

I'd love to be wrong. Tough break for the kid.

Teams would never actually do it, but if this tough stretch goes miserably, I wouldnt mind seeing Iowa just pack it in and get ready for next year. Redshirt bohannon and patrick, tell Evelyn thanks for the memories, and just use the remaining games as scrimmages to work on things. The only downside would be Kriener getting hosed his senior year, but that's life

If Iowa plays that well and they just miss, I might feel different - especially with how the injuries are starting to lay out. Unfortunately I am bracing for something much different. I hope I am wrong....and me saying I hope I am wrong is not just lip service you get around here from people who really just want Iowa to fail. I want Fran to be Iowa's coach for the foreseeable future and I want to support him more than any other coach in any sport I watch - I want the Hawkeyes to be successful period. I just no longer know or feel that Fran is the guy to do it. 2 years ago I felt certain, even after the bad season. I hope he proves me wrong and I get off the train I am on now... really, the only reason I got aboard it was a lot of what has transpired since the start of last year that I just don't like.

DJ Carton #1
Moss #2
XF #3

Couple that with how the 2020 class now looks at least on paper and then getting our doors blown off by Depaul... it's put me ahead of schedule on Fran .... it really has. I want to be wrong but at some point I just have to start looking at things for what they are.
The biggest slight to me for Fran is how he had a built in recruiting advantage for 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes with his son being friends and playing at a high level with some very high level recruits and yet Fran missed on all of those high end recruits. Also since Fran was "watching" Patrick he got to also watch and evaluate a lot of other players.

Teams would never actually do it, but if this tough stretch goes miserably, I wouldnt mind seeing Iowa just pack it in and get ready for next year. Redshirt bohannon and patrick, tell Evelyn thanks for the memories, and just use the remaining games as scrimmages to work on things. The only downside would be Kriener getting hosed his senior year, but that's life
Yep, this. Sell whatever tickets you have for $5 a game and just try to be entertaining.

The good news is Nunge wasn't exactly setting the world on fire with his play underneath the hoop, it's not like they are trying to replace Garza. Nunge is a better perimeter shooter but I think Iowa can survive without that.

But I'm not expecting a ton out of Pemsl either, or Kriener for that matter.

It's mostly the depth that hurts the most. Now we only have 3 bigs. No Nunge wasn't setting the world on fire but he was a solid contributor that could bang down low and stretch the floor. Now if Patrick can play this year that depth is helped but I'm not counting on Patrick to make it back to full strength this year, if at all.

I'd like to see Iowa to go to more of a 4 guard type of lineup. But if Bohannon sits then that would be difficult. Bottom line I want to consistently see the best 5 players on the court. Whether that is 4 guards or a more traditional lineup it doesn't really matter.

The last couple years, everyone was complaining about Fran playing too many guys. Why isn’t everyone happy now with a short bench? That’s what you’ve all have been asking for.

You can’t fault Fran for a recruiting class that hasn’t stepped on campus yet. 2020 recruits are still in high school. Fran see's something in them. Give them a chance.

Every team loses out on recruits. Get over it. The alternative is Fran offers scholarships to a bunch of Maishe Dailey’s and we finish next to Rutgers and Northwestern in the toilet of B10 every year.

Iowa has finished at least .500 in conference play every year (except 17-18) the past 7 years. Per USA today, Fran is 10th highest paid coach in BIG conference this year. You get what you pay for Iowa. Fran wins the right way, you’ll never read about an FBI investigation or player’s misconduct with Fran.

Year Record Conf Place
12-13 9-9 4th
13-14 9-9 9th
14-15 12-6 5th
15-16 12-6 5th
16-17 12-8 7th
17-18 4-14 12th
18-19 10-10 6th

I feel horrible for Jack. Hope he’s eligible for the Jess Settles medical waiver & in Iowa City for 10 more years. Rant over, Go Hawks.

Purdue?

It's mostly the depth that hurts the most. Now we only have 3 bigs. No Nunge wasn't setting the world on fire but he was a solid contributor that could bang down low and stretch the floor. Now if Patrick can play this year that depth is helped but I'm not counting on Patrick to make it back to full strength this year, if at all.

I'd like to see Iowa to go to more of a 4 guard type of lineup. But if Bohannon sits then that would be difficult. Bottom line I want to consistently see the best 5 players on the court. Whether that is 4 guards or a more traditional lineup it doesn't really matter.

No question, it hurts the depth for sure.

The good news is Nunge wasn't exactly setting the world on fire with his play underneath the hoop, it's not like they are trying to replace Garza. Nunge is a better perimeter shooter but I think Iowa can survive without that.

But I'm not expecting a ton out of Pemsl either, or Kriener for that matter.
Exactly . I didn’t see much of a difference between Kreiner and Nunge . Their perimeter shooting percentage has to be about the same too

Nunge...Feel bad for him totally sucks.

Incoming recruiting class...Not going to knock them until I’ve actually seen them play (poorly).

This season...I’m not flushing it until I see more. There’s still talent on the floor. This week will give some insight. And the bottom of the conference is really bad.

Rotation going forward...

Connor...3rd year
CJ...2nd year (very high ceiling IMO)
Joe...Talented sophomore
Luka...3rd year (likely all conference)
Ryan...4th year

Joe...Learning year but talented
Cordell...4th year
Bakari...5th year

Hell the way things are going Kriener may be the next in line to need a redshirt. Hopefully this is the end of our major injuries. Its starting to remind me of 1988-89 when Matt Bullard missed about half the season, Michael Ingram all but three games, and Rodell Davis never saw the floor.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If we go small, Wiescamp is your four.

If Wisconsin can do it with Josh Gasser, Zach Schowalter and Brevin Pritzil there's no reason that Wiescamp, at 6'6 with long arms and an effective rebounder, can't do it on occasion as well.

The biggest slight to me for Fran is how he had a built in recruiting advantage for 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes with his son being friends and playing at a high level with some very high level recruits and yet Fran missed on all of those high end recruits. Also since Fran was "watching" Patrick he got to also watch and evaluate a lot of other players.
What is strange to me is he gives his two sons full scholarships when one is a part time player, and the other one has had medical problems in the past that keep him from playing and practicing full time. It would be more palatable for me if Fran was earning his huge salary. I believe he is a hard worker, but that doesn't mean he is an above average coach.

What is strange to me is he gives his two sons full scholarships when one is a part time player, and the other one has had medical problems in the past that keep him from playing and practicing full time. It would be more palatable for me if Fran was earning his huge salary. I believe he is a hard worker, but that doesn't mean he is an above average coach.

I understand that people get upset with the McCaffrey kids on scholarship. However, 13 players can't be on the court at the same. Yes you could redshirt a couple kids each year but that sort of defeats the purpose of adding two more players to a recruiting class. Heck this year they gave Till a scholarship because they didn't have anyone else to fill the spot. Also unless we have some transfers or Bohannon does play this year, the McCaffrey kids wont be able to be on scholarship next year.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If we go small, Wiescamp is your four.

If Wisconsin can do it with Josh Gasser, Zach Schowalter and Brevin Pritzil there's no reason that Wiescamp, at 6'6 with long arms and an effective rebounder, can't do it on occasion as well.
Zak Showalter and Gasser never played the 4 spot for UW. But they also aren’t 6’6 with a 7’ wingspan like Wieskamp. It can be done by Iowa and we might give up a little on the boards but I still think it’s worth it. I doubt Fran does it though.

Latest posts