Nunge Suffers Torn ACL

RobHowe

Administrator
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa men’s basketball sophomore Jack Nunge suffered a season-ending torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) of his right knee in Sunday’s home game versus Cal Poly. The announcement came Monday by head coach Fran McCaffery.

The injury occurred late in the first half as Nunge was driving to the basket.

“All of us feel for Jack,” said McCaffery. “This is an unfortunate setback for a young man who spent countless hours in the gym and weight room last year preparing for this season. Jack has the full support of his teammates and coaches during his recovery.”

Nunge (6-foot-11, 245 pounds) started Iowa’s first five games, averaging six points, 4.6 rebounds, and 1.8 assists. The native of Newburgh, Indiana, redshirted last season.

Terrible news for sure. You just gotta feel for the guy because he voluntarily sat out a year to get bigger and stronger. PMac sitting out, JBo temporarily sidelined, what’s next? Now it’s time for Ryan Kreiner and Cordell Pemsl to step up. Definitely a hit to Iowa’s frontline depth. Bet we see more of Riley Till this season.

This team wasn't overflowing with talent before this injury, and now we might be starting Kriener (which is not ideal).

It might be time to change expectations for the season to "get Frederick and Toussaint minutes" and "try not to lose 20 games". It also seems pretty irresponsible to push either Patrick or JoBo to burn their redshirt for a year that is looking lost five games into the season.

so, no Cook, no Moss, lost Baer, lost Dailey, Jordan Bohannon sits the last game and his season is up in the air- Patrick McCaffery in limbo and out indefinitely. Lose Jack Nunge to an ACL for the season. The hits just keep coming

05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Terrible news. Feel awful for Jack after taking the redshirt year last year now this.

This looks like it’s heading for a throwaway season for Iowa basketball. Jbo seems likely to head for a redshirt year.

Who knows how good this team could have been, but we definitely don’t have the horsepower to handle much for losses like this.

This team wasn't overflowing with talent before this injury, and now we might be starting Kriener (which is not ideal).

It might be time to change expectations for the season to "get Frederick and Toussaint minutes" and "try not to lose 20 games". It also seems pretty irresponsible to push either Patrick or JoBo to burn their redshirt for a year that is looking lost five games into the season.
Be careful. Ryan Kriener probably reads this message board. He loves talking about what outside world is saying about Iowa. His sophomore year he and Pemsl were whining about the twitter bullies.

so, no Cook, no Moss, lost Baer, lost Dailey, Jordan Bohannon sits the last game and his season is up in the air- Patrick McCaffery in limbo and out indefinitely. Lose Jack Nunge to an ACL for the season. The hits just keep coming

05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg
Injuries and attrition stink. But if this season goes where I think most of us are expecting, the record will show Iowa making the NCAA tournament in 1 of the last 4 seasons. Hard to justify that no matter how we slice it.

Injuries and attrition stink. But if this season goes where I think most of us are expecting, the record will show Iowa making the NCAA tournament in 1 of the last 4 seasons. Hard to justify that no matter how we slice it.
It won't matter because it'll just be a valid excuse. "It's not the coach's fault everyone got hurt."

I aint making excuses, this is Fran's roster management. Due to how many guys are injured he's gonna get a pass from administration but he doesn't get it from me. I expect the NCAA every year. It's highly doubtful and 1 in 4 isn't good enough at Iowa. I'd like to see him removed if we miss, but realistically that's not likely with this type of attrition being something that will be sold. Either way I expect his seat to be pipping hot in 20 and his buy out won't even be a discussion by that point as it drops every season. I'd be happier if Iowa just moved on... but we all know they won't. I'll hope for some weird antic to get him trouble again and maybe it will result from that. Either way, if the year goes like it appears, this kind of result isn't good enough for Iowa basketball.

I aint making excuses, this is Fran's roster management. Due to how many guys are injured he's gonna get a pass from administration but he doesn't get it from me. I expect the NCAA every year. It's highly doubtful and 1 in 4 isn't good enough at Iowa. I'd like to see him removed if we miss, but realistically that's not likely with this type of attrition being something that will be sold. Either way I expect his seat to be pipping hot in 20 and his buy out won't even be a discussion by that point as it drops every season. I'd be happier if Iowa just moved on... but we all know they won't. I'll hope for some weird antic to get him trouble again and maybe it will result from that. Either way, if the year goes like it appears, this kind of result isn't good enough for Iowa basketball.
Yup, and for what it is worth I wasn’t saying you were. Add that to what most feel is a really disappointing recruiting class in 2020, and there just doesn’t seem to be a lot of momentum in this program. I’m about 90% sure Fran will get at least next year, which will be his chance to coach his two sons at the B1G level. Past that who knows.

Hate to see this for Jack. Especially after sitting last year.

Kriener will be fine as a starter. He doesn't back down from anyone and really like that about him. I just liked having his energy coming off the bench. Our bench just got pretty short for our bigs and foul trouble is a concern. I'm not ready to throw in the towel for the season yet. It feels that way, but give it some time. Coaches need to adjust along with the players.

Kriener will get more opportunities along with Pemsl. Season isn't over yet and the sky is not falling. These two could surprise

Also not ready to get rid of Fran because of injuries to 2 starters. Most teams lose two starters in a season and are going to have some struggles. I'm fine with people not liking Fran for other reasons, but this is something that isn't controllable from a coaching stand point.

So what if Garza and Wieskamp both suffer season ending injuries? Still not enough for a pass? If not, add CJ, Kriener, and Connor to the list. Is it enough then? I don't understand people who say injuries aren't an excuse. They're the best excuse. Absolutely no one's fault and they can completely diminish you're team. We're very possibly down 40% of our starters 5 games into the season. Take 2 starters off any team in the country and that team will finish worse off.

So what if Garza and Wieskamp both suffer season ending injuries? Still not enough for a pass? If not, add CJ, Kriener, and Connor to the list. Is it enough then? I don't understand people who say injuries aren't an excuse. They're the best excuse. Absolutely no one's fault and they can completely diminish you're team. We're very possibly down 40% of our starters 5 games into the season. Take 2 starters off any team in the country and that team will finish worse off.

Ok, so what's the excuse for missing it the other 2 years in the 4? I said, 1 in 4 isn't good enough. It's not. I am not looking at it from just this seasons prospective. I can give a flier for a year full of injury and attrition. But when you look at it from a bigger scope, the problem isn't just that.

Ok, so what's the excuse for missing it the other 2 years in the 4? I said, 1 in 4 isn't good enough. It's not. I am not looking at it from just this seasons prospective. I can give a flier for a year full of injury and attrition. But when you look at it from a bigger scope, the problem isn't just that.
I’m really confused how people missed that. That was the main point. It’s not just a discussion of this season. Where is our program.

Injuries definitely stink and aren’t controllable, but if you miss the NCAA tournament 3 out of 4 years, that’s a problem. Add to that a very disappointing recruiting cycle on paper, Along with missing the last two in state studs, well there isn’t really a whole lot positive Fran has going for this program right now. Last year was a fun year, but probably just erases the pain from the year prior.

The excuse for the first year is we are iowa so we aren't going to make it every year. The is no excuse for the second year. This year all depends on the outcome. If we barely miss the tournament and lose some close games, anyone with any ability for critical thinking would know we would have made it without the 2 injuries. If it's a season like a couple years ago, it's pretty easy to deduce we wouldn't have made it either year. If it's the latter, he really needs to go. If it's the former, in my opinion I chalk the season up to bad luck. I'm not going to condemn a coach for injuries as long as the season shows me without much doubt that we would have been a tournament team without the injuries.

I’m really confused how people missed that. That was the main point. It’s not just a discussion of this season. Where is our program.

Injuries definitely stink and aren’t controllable, but if you miss the NCAA tournament 3 out of 4 years, that’s a problem. Add to that a very disappointing recruiting cycle on paper, Along with missing the last two in state studs, well there isn’t really a whole lot positive Fran has going for this program right now. Last year was a fun year, but probably just erases the pain from the year prior.

So what if a coach puts together Raveling type rosters every year but 3 of the years suffers injuries to his top 4 players and ends up in the NIT? Do you want him gone because he missed 3 out of 4? That's obviously an extreme example, but it's to prove a point that this season would be out of his control. Again, this is only applicable if we show we were probably a tournament team without the injuries.

I guess I'll just ask this. Is there any amount of injuries that would make you totally eliminate the season from your equation for evaluating the coach?

Latest posts