Now we know who's on the team for the new season

HawkeyeDenis

Looks like the offensive line is going have a boost by having Jackson for another year. So that helps. Losing Wirfs isn't good, but the cupboard would have been bare if Jackson left too.

The defensive line takes a big hit losing AJ. There is no replacement for AJ .There's going to be a production drop off at that side. The defensive tackles should be better. Time for Nixon to take another step up.

Defensive backs will miss Geno Stone. But again there are pieces there to fill the void he leaves.

Offensively, Iowa needs more from La Porta. He looks poised to be the next great TE at Tight end U. The wide receivers should be solid. Quarterback is an unknown but if the line gels early and gets a running game going that is going to help a lot.

The problem is Iowa has one warm up game and then it's hosting Iowa State. Iowa State is tough affair most years and 2020 will be no different. They are losing a lot but they always play Iowa tough. After Iowa State, Iowa travels to Minneapolis to play Minnesota. Petras will have to learn his job under fire. Not an easy task.

Don’t be surprised if the Iowa coaches kick the tires on some grad transfers or other transfers. They've shown a willingness to do that in the past. Specifically I think in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Toren leaving was a little surprising but has me intrigued actually. Toren and Sargent seem like great kids but in all honesty they seem like below average backs at the B1G level. I’m excited to take a look at some new backs whether it be Byrd, one of the incoming freshman, or heck maybe the coaches look at a transfer (unlikely). Goodson is very dynamic but pairing him with another good back would be ideal in my mind. It might end up just being Sargent but there will be some opportunities for other guys.

We also look forward to spring and fall camp to hear about potential guys emerging. Jestin Jacobs, Logan Lee, Justin Britt, DJ Johnson, Yelverton, Brents, just to name a few.

We had better have two solid running backs to partner with Tyler in 2020. It is a long tough season.

I'm probably not as concerned overall as some. One area where the coaching staff has improved over the past 3-4 seasons IMO is understanding the importance of developing depth to go along with a bigger emphasis on recruiting better ready-made talent. It has been maddening over the years seeing the team struggle due to being forced to start guys that obviously were either underprepared or not of P5 starting caliber. There always seemed to be that "weak link" that caused you to shake your head watching games. We are seeing less and less of that.

That said, I do see the RB position as somewhat of a concern. Goodson is solid but there are a lot of question marks behind him. I'm also not as high as others on the incoming RB recruits. Obviously, it's early, but not a lot of explosiveness on tape, especially when compared to what some of the other B1G teams are bringing in. We just seem to be struggling recruiting consistently at RB for whatever reason.

Looks like the offensive line is going have a boost by having Jackson for another year. So that helps. Losing Wirfs isn't good, but the cupboard would have been bare if Jackson left too.

The defensive line takes a big hit losing AJ. There is no replacement for AJ .There's going to be a production drop off at that side. The defensive tackles should be better. Time for Nixon to take another step up.

Defensive backs will miss Geno Stone. But again there are pieces there to fill the void he leaves.

Offensively, Iowa needs more from La Porta. He looks poised to be the next great TE at Tight end U. The wide receivers should be solid. Quarterback is an unknown but if the line gels early and gets a running game going that is going to help a lot.

The problem is Iowa has one warm up game and then it's hosting Iowa State. Iowa State is tough affair most years and 2020 will be no different. They are losing a lot but they always play Iowa tough. After Iowa State, Iowa travels to Minneapolis to play Minnesota. Petras will have to learn his job under fire. Not an easy task.

Cupboard bare? Our O line recruiting has been really good recently. Miller, Endes, Britt, Jenkins, Ince. Some studs in 2020 class as well.

I'm probably not as concerned overall as some. One area where the coaching staff has improved over the past 3-4 seasons IMO is understanding the importance of developing depth to go along with a bigger emphasis on recruiting better ready-made talent. It has been maddening over the years seeing the team struggle due to being forced to start guys that obviously were either underprepared or not of P5 starting caliber. There always seemed to be that "weak link" that caused you to shake your head watching games. We are seeing less and less of that.

That said, I do see the RB position as somewhat of a concern. Goodson is solid but there are a lot of question marks behind him. I'm also not as high as others on the incoming RB recruits. Obviously, it's early, but not a lot of explosiveness on tape, especially when compared to what some of the other B1G teams are bringing in. We just seem to be struggling recruiting consistently at RB for whatever reason.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Leshon Williams. I believe he will be seeing regular playing time by his sophomore season.

Cupboard bare? Our O line recruiting has been really good recently. Miller, Endes, Britt, Jenkins, Ince. Some studs in 2020 class as well.

Unfortunately, Miller is done with football (back-injury related retirement, there is another thread focused on it). Stinks, because many were excited about him. Can still be excited about the rest, though (and add Fenske, Dejong).

Compared to having two large tackles like Wirfs and Jackson had they both left? The guard play was questionable all year and the tackles were solid when those guys were in there but while there are some experienced players on the line. If both Wirfs and Jackson left there wouldn't have been anyone with near that level of performance left. Jackson along with Linderbaum gives Iowa a couple of core players to build around.

I agree. I think when Goodson gets a solid year under Doyle and a full year to prep for a position that's his, he can be a force. The trouble with Young and Sargent, is that while they are good backs they don't have the speed. They can get to the hole but they are a half step late.
A lot of Goodson's productivity is going to be how the line does. And frankly that's a snowball rolling down hill. The line gets it done, opens it up for Goodson. Running game is better helps Petras. Running game opens it up for the wide receivers.

Unfortunately, Miller is done with football (back-injury related retirement, there is another thread focused on it). Stinks, because many were excited about him. Can still be excited about the rest, though (and add Fenske, Dejong).

Damn just read that. That’s awful. He was a monster and loved the Hawks. Feel bad for the kid.

They've shown a willingness to do that in the past. Specifically I think in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Not on the OL for sure. The offensive line at Iowa is a system no one could slide in year one of being here and play.

Van Valkenburg is the only grad transfer DL I can think of off the top of my head (there may be others), but I don’t think there has ever been a grad transfer o-lineman who has played for the Hawks.

Last edited:
Sargent is a known quantity and an above avg Big running back. Goodson about 20 carries and Sargent about 10 and they are both excellent receivers

I don't necessarily agree that Sargent is an above-average B1G back. If you go team-by-team, I don't think you would find many he would start for. He has a nice all-around skillset (good receiver, excellent blocker), and he has a role on this team if he returns, no doubt.

I don't necessarily agree that Sargent is an above-average B1G back. If you go team-by-team, I don't think you would find many he would start for. He has a nice all-around skillset (good receiver, excellent blocker), and he has a role on this team if he returns, no doubt.
Sargent is sneaky good.

Sargent is a known quantity and an above avg Big running back. Goodson about 20 carries and Sargent about 10 and they are both excellent receivers
There were 30 Big Ten players who averaged 6 carries per game or more.

Out of 30 players Sargent was 18th in YPC, 20th in yardage, 24th in TDs (rushing only).

Taking his receiving into account he was 12th in YD/ATT, 16th in total yards from scrimmage, and 25th in total TDs.

I'd say those things all put together make him below average as an RB in the Big Ten.

I would agree with this. He does a lot of things well, but no one thing great. Good option to have, but he's not going to put fear in the minds of defensive coordinators.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by Leshon Williams. I believe he will be seeing regular playing time by his sophomore season.
Hope so. Both Williams' have potential, but neither has that explosiveness on tape you look for. I personally think we can aim higher at that position, but you never know. Leshon could surprise.

Latest posts