Now Maybe You Can Understand Why the Iowa-ISU Series Didn't Happen for 43 Years

Apparently the ISUck players were pissed that Bohannon drove and shot on Iowa's last possession.

Dafuq was he supposed to do? The shot clock was running out. It was either that, loft a 3, or just hand the ball over. Since they were actively guarding him, the last option was pretty much eliminated.

Modest proposal: If you don't want guys scoring on you, defend them.

My dad f'ing hated Troy Skinner. I don't remember my dad swearing much around me when I was a kid, but I distinctly remember a bunch of "J.F.C. Skinner" being thrown out there.
Skinner would have gotten absolutely abused if social media/forums existed back then.

Watching him trying to take a charge against Kendall Gill or Jamaal Brown or Sean Higgins was comical.

His finest hour may have been the opening round of the 1991 NCAA'S in Minneapolis when he was 4-4 from behind the arc.

James Winters made an unbelievable block of a dunk attempt in that game which I have never been able to to find.

Relax.

The thing was so overblown. The players honestly handled better than the coaches. Bohannon and Cook weren’t even agitated Baer grabbed Cmac. Jacobsen and Shayok were being fools no question. But everything that ensued after that was a nothingburger. There was no all out brawl going to take place.

Fran was right to not shake hands. Prohm apologized. It wasn’t that big of a deal. Adds to the rivalry. Move on.
Exactly. “Tense”? No

My dad f'ing hated Troy Skinner. I don't remember my dad swearing much around me when I was a kid, but I distinctly remember a bunch of "J.F.C. Skinner" being thrown out there.

Didn't Skinner follow BJ at the point. Troy was an average player and took his lumps for it. BJ was the best point guard we have had since Ronny Lester and both of them took the Hawks to heights that haven't been duplicated up to now.....

:cool:

Oh man, I can't wait until next year. Hilton will be loud as f**k, and surrounded by a bunch of farmers with pitchforks

Irate clown fanatics storm the Dean's office after a foul is finally called on the clones.....

The-presumption-of-innocence-and-trial-by-mob.aspx

Apparently the ISUck players were pissed that Bohannon drove and shot on Iowa's last possession.

Dafuq was he supposed to do? The shot clock was running out. It was either that, loft a 3, or just hand the ball over. Since they were actively guarding him, the last option was pretty much eliminated.

regarding Bohannon's final lay-up...the new "NET" ratings that came out this year rewards teams for margin of victory up to 10 points. So when Bohannon made that last layup, he put Iowa up by 14 and guaranteed Iowa would get the full 10 point margin of victory credit for the win regardless of what Iowa State did on their final possession.

I doubt Jordan realized this at the time, but his layup was actually brilliant from a resume standpoint.

regarding Bohannon's final lay-up...the new "NET" ratings that came out this year rewards teams for margin of victory up to 10 points. So when Bohannon made that last layup, he put Iowa up by 14 and guaranteed Iowa would get the full 10 point margin of victory credit for the win regardless of what Iowa State did on their final possession.

I doubt Jordan realized this at the time, but his layup was actually brilliant from a resume standpoint.

Bohannon's layup made the score 98-82 with 12 seconds left. Shayok actually scored a layup himself with 7 seconds to go because Iowa let him score to make the final score 98-84. That's what made Shayok's 'pesturing' of Connor at the end rather silly.

Didn't Skinner follow BJ at the point. Troy was an average player and took his lumps for it. BJ was the best point guard we have had since Ronny Lester and both of them took the Hawks to heights that haven't been duplicated up to now.....

:cool:
The original plan was for Brian Garner to follow BJ at the point. Garner was quicker with the ball than anyone I've ever seen at Iowa, and he got into the lane at will even though he was no outside threat whatsoever. His finest hour came in the famous Rodney Monroe game in the NCAA's. But Garner only knew one speed, was a turnover machine, a poor free throw shooter, and a poorer student. He lasted one and a half years at Iowa, same as Ray Thompson. Davis then turned to Skinner because he had no one else to turn to. He recruited Kevin Smith and Val Barnes in his next class and Smith was a serviceable point guard. But he didn't make it to the finish line either. Among other things, he stole merch from the sports apparel store he worked at. Believe it was a Merle Harmon store.

Yup. I laughed my ass off, because Cy was still playing hard and would not back off, then Jbo went in for a layup...loved it.

The original plan was for Brian Garner to follow BJ at the point. Garner was quicker with the ball than anyone I've ever seen at Iowa, and he got into the lane at will even though he was no outside threat whatsoever. His finest hour came in the famous Rodney Monroe game in the NCAA's. But Garner only knew one speed, was a turnover machine, a poor free throw shooter, and a poorer student. He lasted one and a half years at Iowa, same as Ray Thompson. Davis then turned to Skinner because he had no one else to turn to. He recruited Kevin Smith and Val Barnes in his next class and Smith was a serviceable point guard. But he didn't make it to the finish line either. Among other things, he stole merch from the sports apparel store he worked at. Believe it was a Merle Harmon store.

You gotta be like 60 years old :)

No way Prohm meant anything he said in that apology. He was way over the line IMO, not once but TWICE!!!

I'd have to agree. If you watch the replays, not once but twice Prohm went on the court presumably to break up a fight. But instead of grabbing his player and pulling him back, he pushed an Iowa player away. Twice. And..... no technical foul for being on the court.

I'd have to agree. If you watch the replays, not once but twice Prohm went on the court presumably to break up a fight. But instead of grabbing his player and pulling him back, he pushed an Iowa player away. Twice. And..... no technical foul for being on the court.
Thugs gonna thug.

Relax.

The thing was so overblown. The players honestly handled better than the coaches. Bohannon and Cook weren’t even agitated Baer grabbed Cmac. Jacobsen and Shayok were being fools no question. But everything that ensued after that was a nothingburger. There was no all out brawl going to take place.

Fran was right to not shake hands. Prohm apologized. It wasn’t that big of a deal. Adds to the rivalry. Move on.
Then you obviously didn't watch the game, there was a powderkeg of trash talking, rough play, and frustration that was really close to going off. Conner was about two seconds from throwing a punch which ISU players were waiting for. It would have gotten ugly. The ISU bench was already on the floor, Cook and the Iowa bench would have cleared as well.

Iowa was already up 14 at the time. The layup made it 16 but ISU ran down and and made a layup of their own with Iowa not playing defense to make it a 14 point game again. Either way I don't have a problem with JBo taking a shot in that spot.

You gotta be like 60 years old :)
I feel like I'm 60 some days!:)

I was a senior in college when Monroe torched us for 40, which included late shots to tie it in regulation and at the end of the first OT. You can do the math on my age from there.

Garner, by the way, would be an AAU legend today. He would destroy those leagues. In a correction he lasted two and a half years at Iowa. He redshirted his freshman year. He may have been Mr. Davis's first Iowa recruit.

Last edited:
Iowa was already up 14 at the time. The layup made it 16 but ISU ran down and and made a layup of their own with Iowa not playing defense to make it a 14 point game again. Either way I don't have a problem with JBo taking a shot in that spot.
If ISU wasn't going to call off the dogs, I have no problem with Bohannon scoring. Actually it was worse, ISU pretended to call off the dogs.