Now is when the Fran losers disappear until next season

I don't see them losing out. They'll either come up with an upset vs badgers or beat a team they should beat. But you were pretty close. The majority of the board would have been pleased with 10-10 thinking about in October. But I think they'll beat that.
I recall the majority of people predicting the 8 to 10 win range.

I don't see them losing out. They'll either come up with an upset vs badgers or beat a team they should beat. But you were pretty close. The majority of the board would have been pleased with 10-10 thinking about in October. But I think they'll beat that.
Even if they lose the next 2, that's still 10-10. Which is pretty much where the expectations were. I think I predicted them to win 20 games total 10-10 in the BIG conf. They've already met my expectations. I didn't think a 10-10 conf record would get them to the NCAAs, so I was wrong in that regard. That's more of a reflection on the overall strength (lack there of) of the other conferences. They can win either of the next 2 games. It's not out of the question.

How many tournament wins do those teams have compared to Iowa during that span?

If we're using 2018-2019 as the 6th year, here are the numbers. Obviously Ohio St, Maryland, Minnesota, and Iowa can add to their totals this season.

Ohio State 2-3 (3 appearances)
Maryland 3-3 (3) Sweet 16 in 2016
Minnesota 0-1 (1)
Nebraska 0-1 (1)
Indiana 2-2 (2) Sweet 16 in 2016
Iowa 2-3 (3)

If we're using 2018-2019 as the 6th year, here are the numbers. Obviously Ohio St, Maryland, Minnesota, and Iowa can add to their totals this season.

Minnesota 0-1 (1)
Nebraska 0-1 (1)
Iowa 2-3 (3)
Thanks.

I’ll add 3 maybe 4 of the teams on that list might miss the dance this year, Iowa not being one of them.

Iowa is in danger of falling into a tie for sixth place in the big ten. I don't see them finishing strong. Frans teams usually bomb out at the end of the year while other teams seem to get better. I think its because of the talent level on the teams. I think the other teams have figured out if they can slow Bohannon down a second or two they will slow down the Iowa offense. A second or two gives the other team plenty of time to set up their defense. Bohannons backup will never be a great player if he only plays basketball part time. The team needs a guy like Toussaint both for his defense and putting pressure on the other teams defense. Bohannon is a good player, but athletically he isn't big ten level. Probably ninety nine percent plus isn't athletic enough to play in the big ten so I'm not trying to knock Bohannon. It is the coaches responsibility though.
I think it’s how the officiating changed half way through the conference season.

Being a Hawkeye fan doesn’t mean you have to be a Fran or Kirk fan. Nor does it mean you should have to accept mediocrity year after year, after year, after year, after year, after year. Yet some people are happy to do that.

CYCLONE mental disorder has made its way East.
He didn’t mention any coaches in his post. He basically said the season is almost over. Enjoy the last few games. We might win a few more.

so, now that Iowa has over achieved what was expected for it this season the narrative now is that's accepting mediocrity. How many times do we have to move the target this year? How can we accept anything or be accused of being happy with it when it isn't over or played out? There is plenty of time for these discussions. How can you call this season mediocre, it's still has all the good part left to play and Iowa has put itself in position to included in the NCAA?

This is a fair point and I have mentioned more than once that I hope the guys catch their second wind. This has been a good turn around from last season. No one can say it hasn’t been. I am still hoping for the best. I watch every game (with the exception of this last game against Rutgers). I was very disappointed that we lost this last game.

I guess I was meshing football and basketball together and the part you were quoting was directed more towards the football program.

I would absolutely LOVE a big run in the BTT and NCAA for Fran and gang. I can’t lie and say I am not concerned. The team looks burned out at this time. I am more hopeful for the NCAA than the BTT because the boys will get a little rest before that begins. Not so much for the BTT.

If the boys do well that will obviously bode well for Fran. If on the other hand the guys are burned out and we crash and burn on the first game in both the BTT and the NCAA then who can blame ANYONE for calling for Fran’s head??? Would a loss in the first game in the BTT and the NCAA be the straw that breaks your back?

I hope that clarifies for you what Inwas saying. GO HAWKS!!!!! Kick some azz!!!

Last edited:
He didn’t mention any coaches in his post. He basically said the season is almost over. Enjoy the last few games. We might win a few more.

I hope we win more than a few. When this team is clicking a sweet sixteen isn’t out of the question but they can’t play like they did against Rutgers at home.

Do people on your board constantly bitch about where your coach finishes in the conference then have to be corrected over and over and over?

Seriously????

I just said fourth place off of the top of my head. Most people could careless between third place or fourth place especially if your tied for third place with a couple of other teams.

The way you look at things you would say Iowa finished in fourth place in the conference even if four other teams finished tied for third place.

The year that Iowa finished in THIRD place I bet you cannot name off of the top of your head any power five team that finished third in their conference. Think about it??? That’s my point, third or fourth who really gives a damn? PC? Does the P stand for Patrick?

Minnesota 0-1 (1)
Nebraska 0-1 (1)
Iowa 2-3 (3)

You didn’t do yourself any favors by including Minnesota and Nebraska on that list.

Last edited:
People’s lack of understanding of the college basketball landscape is outstanding.

With Iowa dancing this year that will be four out of the last 6 years going to the dance. That puts us ahead or on par with the following programs in terms of tourney appearances:

-Ohio State
-Maryland
-Minnesota
-Nebraska
-Indiana

Now a few of those schools have had better seed on occasion which is what Iowa should strive for, but to act like Iowa basketball is some complete dumpster fire of suck is far from accurate. We are likely ahead of Minny, Nebraska, and Indiana, as programs over the last 6 years. On par or close to Ohio State and slightly behind Maryland as a program over the last 6 years.

Matt Painter in years 7-10 missed the tourney twice and was a 9 and 10 seed the other years.

We are all hoping we can strive to the next level but to act like we are a complete disaster just isn’t factual at all.

Another thing worth noting is that after this year, 3 of the 5 teams you’re comparing Iowa with will have fired their coaches during this period of time. So more teams than not feel that this level is a unsatisfactory.

You didn’t did yourself any favors by including Minnesota and Nebraska on that list.

I didn’t pick the list. A poster made a statement comparing Iowa to those specific programs and another poster asked for the comparisons. I thought it would be interesting to check myself.

This is a fair point and I have mentioned more than once that I hope the guys catch their second wind. This has been a good turn around from last season. No one can say it hasn’t been. I am still hoping for the best. I watch every game (with the exception of this last game against Rutgers). I was very disappointed that we lost this last game.

I guess I was meshing football and basketball together and the part you were quoting was directed more towards the football program.

I would absolutely LOVE a big run in the BTT and NCAA for Fran and gang. I can’t lie and say I am not concerned. The team looks burned out at this time. I am more hopeful for the NCAA than the BTT because the boys will get a little rest before that begins. Not so much for the BTT.

If the boys do well that will obviously bode well for Fran. If on the other hand the guys are burned out and we crash and burn on the first game in both the BTT and the NCAA then who can blame ANYONE for calling for Fran’s head??? Would a loss in the first game in the BTT and the NCAA be the straw that breaks your back?

I hope that clarifies for you what Inwas saying. GO HAWKS!!!!! Kick some azz!!!

Thanks for clarifying. I just want to watch it play out. It could end in horrific fashion as you guys are worried about. But, to be honest, you guys have been worried about this all season and the team has responded. Iowa is not playing it's best ball. I can clearly see that. But that's the weird thing about hoops, is it can change pretty quickly one way or another. I think the players see the season in 4 parts. The OOC, Conference, Conference Tournament and Post Season. Each one is a new lease on life. Earlier in the season people were saying "Gosh, I love to win these close games but hopefully we aren't using up our "luck" to early in the year" - well, who's to say Iowa is not going through their slump right now and they bust out of it when it matters most? We don't know. This team has never been consistent enough to be much more than a middle of road B1G team. Which is good for Iowa this season all things considering and where most thought they would be, which is the basement or close to it. Losing out wouldn't break my back. I've said since the get go - get this team into the dance. That's the goal. I think they are going to accomplish that. I will expect more from the program next season.

Latest posts