Not tryin to pile on

RevHolzhammer

however, can someone explain and rationalize why Tony Freeman was asked to leave the Iowa basketball program?

Really, really have to question that decision, here, at this point

Freeman didn't fit into Lickliters plan. Freeman would have been miserable had he stayed. Lickliter likes to play those games with his players.

From CR Gazette article by Mike Hlas today on UNI's win over Southern Illinois.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I wish those guys the best,” Freeman said. “I made a business decision.

“I felt Coach (Todd) Lickliter wanted his own players, and that’s fine. At the time, I had hard feelings. As I thought about it, I moved on.

“I’m happy with my teammates and with the staff. You can’t ask for much more.”

Read the quotes from Freeman himself. He made a 'business decision'. I 'felt' Coach wanted to play his own players.

Is Tony a liar now?

Keep telling yourself that:rolleyes:

I don't have any first hand information....I am just going by what was said at the time. The quote above from T. Freeman himself said that he made a business decision. I guess in your dislike for Coach Lickliter you will go so far as to essentially ellude to the fact that Tony Free is lying, as well as Jake Kelly and I could probably go on and on!

T. Freeman decided to leave, he was not asked to leave!

No, he was not "asked", but was told that he would be riding the pine unless he conformed to Lickliter's style, which is what I remember hearing at the time. Freeman made the decision to go where his skills would be appreciated and where he would play.

He was run off the team.

No, he was not "asked", but was told that he would be riding the pine unless he conformed to Lickliter's style, which is what I remember hearing at the time. Freeman made the decision to go where his skills would be appreciated and where he would play.

He was run off the team.

Well, that is different than being asked to leave isn't it??? He was asked to change his game and he was not willing to do so. With that in mind, he decided to transfer. Some people need to get over it!

He was run off the team.
Was Freeman asked to play differently? Probably since it was reported (by Bobby Hansen, I belive) he was not running the plays as called by the Coach in practice and in games.

So, was it too much to ask Freeman to play differently for a new coach? I think some players would do that while others would not. So, Tony did not want to change and he left. I don't think that is all on the coach. The player bears some responsibility too.

During the UNI - SIU game, the analyst said that SIU changed their style during the year this year because they were struggling. The players did it and they are playing better than they did earlier this year. It happens.

Was Freeman asked to play differently? Probably since it was reported (by Bobby Hansen, I belive) he was not running the plays as called by the Coach in practice and in games.

So, was it too much to ask Freeman to play differently for a new coach? I think some players would do that while others would not. So, Tony did not want to change and he left. I don't think that is all on the coach. The player bears some responsibility too.

During the UNI - SIU game, the analyst said that SIU changed their style during the year this year because they were struggling. The players did it and they are playing better than they did earlier this year. It happens.

It's on both the player and the coach. But if Lickliter was willing to bench his team's leading scorer over a principle, then I have a problem with that.

Well, that is different than being asked to leave isn't it???

Not by much. Lickliter's "my way or the highway" approach didn't give Freeman a whole lot of choice. You obviously disagree, but I don't think you bench the team's leading scorer over it.

Didn't Lickliter say about Seth Gorney that he was willing to let him play to his strengths, etc. rather than try to force him into a role he was uncomfortable in? Why was it different with Freeman?

It's on both the player and the coach. But if Lickliter was willing to bench his team's leading scorer over a principle, then I have a problem with that.
I agree that it is tough, but when the PG (and leading scorer) is not running the plays called by the coach and the coach still plays him, what does that say? What would have the rest of the team thought?

It may have been better if the coach gave a little and the player gave a little, but that's not what happened. I wish Tony would have stayed, but he didn't. He has made the most of his decision.

I do think it would be nice if the coach was a little more flexible. No argument there.

I agree that it is tough, but when the PG (and leading scorer) is not running the plays called by the coach and the coach still plays him, what does that say? What would have the rest of the team thought?

It may have been better if the coach gave a little and the player gave a little, but that's not what happened. I wish Tony would have stayed, but he didn't. He has made the most of his decision.

I do think it would be nice if the coach was a little more flexible. No argument there.

Agree totally.