Not to quote Ferentz...

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
but this really does have some to do with execution.

No, the talent isn't the best in the B1G.
However, Iowa is better than what they are showing on the court.

I think that's one of the more frustrating things to see. Iowa isn't playing well, but I don't think they are a really bad team.

Somehow, some way they need to turn it around. They don't have many games to fix the problems before the conference slate starts. This will really test Fran's skills.

I am curious how anyone can watch the product on the floor and say "we really aren't that bad". If you watch any other basketball, you will quickly discover that yes, we are really bad. I held out hope until tonight, but getting punked (again) at home with no fire or passion is sickening. Hard to mask shooting 25% and giving up season high in 3's (again). A freshman is the only one playing with confidence on the whole team....props to Ogelsby. We will get swept by in state schools and will be lucky to keep the first 6 conference games within 20 points.

I guess if you define execution as putting the ball through the basket, you are right, it is about execution.

Last edited:
Not trying to flame, but how much of this should be on Fran? I know that there's been a lot of debate about Fran vs. Fred, and their different approaches and experience levels. One thing that is consistently brought up is how coaching experience separates them. Isn't it the HC's responsibility to get the team ready to play?

Where is the valuable coaching experience showing itself right now? Or are there other things at play here?

I think that's one of the more frustrating things to see. Iowa isn't playing well, but I don't think they are a really bad team.

Somehow, some way they need to turn it around. They don't have many games to fix the problems before the conference slate starts. This will really test Fran's skills.

I feel right now, that Iowa will execute a last place finish in the Big Ten. They are bad. If you can't shoot, you are screwed. I don't see anyone going off for even a 20 point game in conference. Gatens could, but he's going to get the clamp down in conference play.

Not trying to flame, but how much of this should be on Fran? I know that there's been a lot of debate about Fran vs. Fred, and their different approaches and experience levels. One thing that is consistently brought up is how coaching experience separates them. Isn't it the HC's responsibility to get the team ready to play?

Where is the valuable coaching experience showing itself right now? Or are there other things at play here?

I am just ****** he didnt use his time outs correctly.

They actually looked pretty ready to play until they bricked something like 14 of 16 shots midway through the first half. From that point on they just looked like they were in a daze. I'm not excusing it, I'm just saying that they started the game with fire. They started the second half with intensity as well, and then... brick, brick, brick.

I want to say that this team is better than they have been but you look at the results of our last 3 losses and it's very hard to come to that conclusion.

Last edited:

Come on man. We all like you here, but let's be honest, you're one of the biggest kool-aid drinkers on the board. It's gotten to the point where I just take your preseason prediction, subtract 7 wins and figure that's where we'll end up. This team stinks.

This team is lacking in so many areas and that boils down to coaching the fundamentals. They simply aren't fundamentally sound and if Fran wants this to be an uptempo team he certainly isn't showing he knows how to do it. I do believe this team has some talent and can play well as a team, but either aren't listening to Fran or what he is teaching just isn't sinking in.

Come on man. We all like you here, but let's be honest, you're one of the biggest kool-aid drinkers on the board. It's gotten to the point where I just take your preseason prediction, subtract 7 wins and figure that's where we'll end up. This team stinks.

That's fine. I was off last season by 3 wins, but to each his own.

I believe Fran when he says this is a better team than what they are showing on the court. Again, I'm not saying they are going to win the B1G or even finish in the middle of the pack. I am simply saying they aren't as bad as what they showed tonight.

Big task ahead of Fran to figure out how to fix this team.

Fran needs to get something out of his players. Somethings not clicking right now. Shots aren't going down. Interior D was better tonight, but the outside D was horrendous. I couldn't believe how many times they left Youg wide open for a three. Just silly to help and leave him open like that.

Iowa won't shoot that bad again (I don't think).
Right now they are reeling. Hopefully Fran can get the team back together or this could get worse before it gets better.

That's fine. I was off last season by 3 wins, but to each his own.

I believe Fran when he says this is a better team than what they are showing on the court. Again, I'm not saying they are going to win the B1G or even finish in the middle of the pack. I am simply saying they aren't as bad as what they showed tonight.

Big task ahead of Fran to figure out how to fix this team.

You also had us going to the NCAA tournament the year Lick got canned. This team isn't going to sniff 18 wins.

They aren't as bad as tonight...but they're BAD. 11-13 wins.

I wonder how much of this is the loss of Cole? There is definitely a lack of leadership among the players, Cole added a attitude, a focus, and will to work, and at the moment I dont see it on the floor.

I wonder how much of this is the loss of Cole? There is definitely a lack of leadership among the players, Cole added a attitude, a focus, and will to work, and at the moment I dont see it on the floor.

Some of Jarryd's Tweets tonight:

At Iowa, I reiterated the word "reflect" to the media during tough times. It's about manning up. Dig deep and bring some heart to the floor.

Every body wants and believes in the 5star recruit, but it all means nothing when the recruits don't believe in themselves.

This is the most talented we've been since my freshman year. When they get some accountability, it could get ugly for opponents.

Agree 100 percent with all your points.

My concern Spank as I sat and watched it tonight @ CHA was our lack of offensive rebounding. Nobody follows their shot. If it doesn't go in (which was quite often), Iowa was backpeddling to the other end.

My concern Spank as I sat and watched it tonight @ CHA was our lack of offensive rebounding. Nobody follows their shot. If it doesn't go in (which was quite often), Iowa was backpeddling to the other end.
Good observation, as well. I think Iowa was worried about Young and the freshman getting out in transition. But, overall, all year long, the OREB hasn't been there. So when you are shooting REALLY bad and not getting any of those back (8 OREBS in 40 misses, Clemson had 8 OREBS on 26 misses), it's not a good sign.

Latest posts