Not To NItpik, but...................

Here are 2 better angles.

062.jpg

03.jpg
Unbelievable that the ball could hit the backboard at that spot and go in from any angle. Any higher and it bounces off the top. Any further to the left and it strikes the side of the backboard.

Here's another interesting fact. Every B1G team supplies their own game ball. Jordan Bohannon was quoted as saying he loved the ball used at Indiana's Assembly Hall. Steve Alford was once quoted as saying he hated Purdue's Mackey Arena ball. I remember Peter Jok or somebody being critical of Maryland's Under armour game ball.

Here's where I'm leading with this. What if the physics of the Rutgers game ball made the RAC center the only arena in the conference that Wiescamp could have made that shot. Simply because of the ball itself. That place definitely had soft rims. You saw it work in Rutgers favor on Baker's potential game winning shot, as well as a first half FG in transition.

I remember Peter Jok or somebody being critical of Maryland's Under armour game ball.
People still buy Under Armour stuff?

They make the most hideous clothes on the planet and I’d say their shoes are borderline dangerous to wear.

I umped a seasonof HS ball in their black turf shoes when I was on the bases because our local association did a big group buy and they were about 40% off the cheapest retail. They were so shitty and uncomfortable that towards the end of the season I started wearing my plate shoes out there.

Last year my kid wanted an UA glove and I drew the line at that. $350 for a cheapo piece of shit. I told him any glove that comes through my door is going to say Rawlings or Mizuno on it, but he’s getting to the age where my opinion doesn’t hold much weight anymore.

I used to be a Rawlings-only snob but holy shit Mizuno makes some seriously nice gloves for the money now.

Sorry for the derailment, carry on.

And since we’re talking soft rims and backboards, belly up to the bar, kids. I love this highlight reel of Shaq Diesel’s greatest hits.

The Phoenix once was f’n nuts. It was like the hoop got scared and said, “Nope. I ain’t playin’ no more.”

People still buy Under Armour stuff?

They make the most hideous clothes on the planet and I’d say their shoes are borderline dangerous to wear.

I umped a seasonof HS ball in their black turf shoes when I was on the bases because our local association did a big group buy and they were about 40% off the cheapest retail. They were so shitty and uncomfortable that towards the end of the season I started wearing my plate shoes out there.

Last year my kid wanted an UA glove and I drew the line at that. $350 for a cheapo piece of shit. I told him any glove that comes through my door is going to say Rawlings or Mizuno on it, but he’s getting to the age where my opinion doesn’t hold much weight anymore.

I used to be a Rawlings-only snob but holy shit Mizuno makes some seriously nice gloves for the money now.

Sorry for the derailment, carry on.
I bought a Mizuno in 1983 and still use it today when I play catch with my eighth grader or with nieces and nephews.

It survived eighteen years of city rec and ASA softball. There is nothing quite a glove that gets broken in just right.:)

I bought a Mizuno in 1983 and still use it today when I play catch with my eighth grader or with nieces and nephews.

It survived eighteen years of city rec and ASA softball. There is nothing quite a glove that gets broken in just right.:)
Mizuno’s stuff now is crazy good. There’s a reason so many college/minor/majors use it. I bought one as a backup, and the one I bought my kid (when he wanted the UA) needed zero break in——none. And they pop like a shotgun.

Mizuno’s stuff now is crazy good. There’s a reason so many college/minor/majors use it. I bought one as a backup, and the one I bought my kid (when he wanted the UA) needed zero break in——none. And they pop like a shotgun.
Both of my boys have used my glove in pony league games. I also have a left handed first baseman's mitt that I occasionally use when playing catch with the kids. It saves my right shoulder after decades of wear and tear on it.

Used to be (high school officiating anyway) that a .4-.5 second delay from whistle, buzzer, dead ball was a given for the time keeper.

It’s ridiculous the amount of time is spent on reviews.

The game is not a perfect game from the jump ball. Refs are inconsistent and make mistakes.
Players are inconsistent and make mistakes. Coaches are inconsistent and make mistakes.

If they’re going to do all of these stoppages to “get it right” I would focus on maul-ball rather than the 2 tenths of a second that Rutgers can’t do more with the tip the ball.

Stop the maul-ball and Iowa would not have needed to counter with a luckier shot than Rutgers own lucky shot.

About went out of my mind watching IA/MD women's game. Those refs were at the monitor constantly, and they poured over it like they were looking for the cure to cancer.

Make a damned call and get the game going. Ridiculous.

Since we are talking game flow and that particular game, let me vent on one of my pet peeves.

The IA/MD is an example of a game of thrilling back and forth all the way up to the last 2 minutes, and then it turned into a tedious trudge to the finish (made tolerable only by the fact that the Hawks were winning). There are way too many stoppages at the ends of games; the reviews were very important in this game because the refs blew both calls initially, but there has to be a faster way to conduct those. But I think the bigger issue is the timeouts.

FIBA has it right. A team only gets 2 TOs in the 1st half, 3 in the 2nd, and can use no more than 2 in the last 2-minutes of the half. There are NO live-ball timeouts. After a made FG, the team that just scored CANNOT call a TO.

The result is continuous flow, and ultimately the game being in the hands of the players. Coaches need to do their job in advance and make sure their players are knowledgeable, they cannot simply act like chess-masters, constantly stopping the game to provide instructions. You bring these changes up to coaches and they always hate the notion of losing control, but the effects are nothing but positive for players and fans. The final 2 minutes don't drag on for 15 minutes of actual time, the game flow is maintained, and the game is in the hands of the players. And you get sequences like this: