Not throwing in the towel just yet

NikeHawk21

Last night was painful, awful, terrible, but I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet as it appears some might. I’m not saying people are wrong to either this could go south like two years ago just as easy as it could turn around.

Anyway early season losses do happen in college basketball. We don’t know for sure how good or not good Depaul will be. I personally think they are going to be pretty solid team and go dancing this year. I also mentioned early in the day that playing 3 games compared to Iowa’s 1 was an advantage for them, which I still believe was true.

5 of our top 11 guys who played either hadn’t played much more than a game at this level either ever, or for Nunge and Pemsl basically since 2017. That doesn’t include Bohannon who is clearly playing at something less than 100%. Depaul on the other hand had quite a bit of experience in their rotation including the 3 games played to Iowa’s 1.

So what gives me reason for optimism:

-Garza and Wieskamp played about as bad as they could. Potentially the worst game of Wieskamp’s career at Iowa. We know they can and will play better. They should both be all conference type players.

-I’m pretty high on CJF at this point. I think he’s a quality SG for us. I think compared to Moss he will be an upgrade in terms of ball handling and setting up others (we haven’t seen a ton of that just yet though). He will take some lumps just like any freshman.

-There is no way in my mind Nunge can be as bad as he’s played thus far. As I mentioned elsewhere the sample size is still small (only 25 minutes played in two games). He had some decent performances as a freshman and he didn’t just crack the starting lineup for no apparent reason. If for some reason he can’t get it figured out I think Kriener and Pemsl can be average players at that spot. They’ve got enough experience.

-Perimeter defense / team footspeed. This was the big one from last night. In my estimation if Jbo gets shut down this will improve by default. I think Toussaint, Evelyn, and Frederick can all be average defenders with at least a chance in terms of footspeed. Overall we are going to always be a slower team with Nunge, Kriener, and Pemsl playing the 4, but I don’t think it will be as bad as we saw last night if Toussaint and Evelyn get more minutes going forward.

What say you?

I say its one very bad game in a very long season. When you play team defense like Iowa does, these games are bound to happen.

I hope they're better next time out because that shit wasn't fun to watch. Gotta figure out a way to keep up offensively.

speaking of court side seating, OMG, that really is blue hair, and my goodness, what a cute grandson you have!

OK, I am being a bit sarcastic, but basketball games are not supposed to be a "relaxing evening..........."

jalen-rose-owned-by-nick-van-excel-towel-throw-nba.gif

I want to tell myself that Depaul was just hot shooting 55% from 3 and 61% from the field. But history shows Fran either can't coach D or can't recruit good defenders. Either way, he's put a team on the floor that is too slow of foot speed.

As others have said Nunge has been an absolute disappointment and Pemsl is a backup option at best. The 2 changes I see coming are Kriener moving to the staring 4 alongside Garza. Joe T is likely going to need to see more minutes which I think will help a bit with the foot speed issue. Plus he's shooting a higher % from the field and from 3 than Connor plus adds something on D with 2 steals already. We likely need Connor in the games late though for FT shooting.

I want to tell myself that Depaul was just hot shooting 55% from 3 and 61% from the field. But history shows Fran either can't coach D or can't recruit good defenders. Either way, he's put a team on the floor that is too slow of foot speed.

As others have said Nunge has been an absolute disappointment and Pemsl is a backup option at best. The 2 changes I see coming are Kriener moving to the staring 4 alongside Garza. Joe T is likely going to need to see more minutes which I think will help a bit with the foot speed issue. Plus he's shooting a higher % from the field and from 3 than Connor plus adds something on D with 2 steals already. We likely need Connor in the games late though for FT shooting.
I would think 19 turnovers by Iowa didn’t help our defensive numbers any as they led to a lot of easy transition baskets. I would also say a lot of those turnovers were of the uncharacteristic variety just due to not being adjusted to the game speed at this level of play just yet.

(Note DePaul had 21 TOs themselves but many of those came later in the 2H and not nearly as many were live ball turnovers)

I would think 19 turnovers by Iowa didn’t help our defensive numbers any as they led to a lot of easy transition baskets. I would also say a lot of those turnovers were of the uncharacteristic variety just due to not being adjusted to the game speed at this level of play just yet.

(Note DePaul had 21 TOs themselves but many of those came later in the 2H and not nearly as many were live ball turnovers)

When reviewing the box score I couldn't believe they had more TOs than us but granted I didn't watch the entire game.

How m
Last night was painful, awful, terrible, but I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet as it appears some might. I’m not saying people are wrong to either this could go south like two years ago just as easy as it could turn around.

Anyway early season losses do happen in college basketball. We don’t know for sure how good or not good Depaul will be. I personally think they are going to be pretty solid team and go dancing this year. I also mentioned early in the day that playing 3 games compared to Iowa’s 1 was an advantage for them, which I still believe was true.

5 of our top 11 guys who played either hadn’t played much more than a game at this level either ever, or for Nunge and Pemsl basically since 2017. That doesn’t include Bohannon who is clearly playing at something less than 100%. Depaul on the other hand had quite a bit of experience in their rotation including the 3 games played to Iowa’s 1.

-Garza and Wieskamp played about as bad as they could. Potentially the worst game of Wieskamp’s career at Iowa. We know they can and will play better. They should both be all conference type players.

-I’m pretty high on CJF at this point. I think he’s a quality SG for us. I think compared to Moss he will be an upgrade in terms of ball handling and setting up others (we haven’t seen a ton of that just yet though). He will take some lumps just like any freshman.

-There is no way in my mind Nunge can be as bad as he’s played thus far. As I mentioned elsewhere the sample size is still small (only 25 minutes played in two games). He had some decent performances as a freshman and he didn’t just crack the starting lineup for no apparent reason. If for some reason he can’t get it figured out I think Kriener and Pemsl can be average players at that spot. They’ve got enough experience.

-Perimeter defense / team footspeed. This was the big one from last night. In my estimation if Jbo gets shut down this will improve by default. I think Toussaint, Evelyn, and Frederick can all be average defenders with at least a chance in terms of footspeed. Overall we are going to always be a slower team with Nunge, Kriener, and Pemsl playing the 4, but I don’t think it will be as bad as we saw last night if Toussaint and Evelyn get more minutes going forward.

What say you?
Nov 28th through Dec 21st will pretty much decide their fate.

oh and Cook in the paint clearly opened things up for several players last year, that is apparent.

Ok, maybe we should not throw in the towel just yet. Fran's squad were seen working on their jump shots today. ;)

Yes, the good news from last night as they still have a ton of games to learn from and start building themselves up for next season. But, I think it is going to be a another long winter.

tumblr_o2li7hhAUS1tqur7wo1_500.gif

Last edited:
JW isn’t an alpha dog, but he may need to become one. I know Fran wants to get out in transition, but this roster is made up of dudes who don’t run the floor very well.

Yea yesterday wasn't good. I'd say the defense has to actually try, and the bench and starters need to find some rhythm on offensive.

What say you?
You can’t ‘teach’ foot speed, or athleticism!! Of which most MAC teams would be ashamed of ours. We are in BIG TROUBLE, with no HOPE for the future, either. Blow it up!

That's been the biggest hurdle for Iowa....no athletes, no quickness. Joe T. Is damn quick, CJ will be damn good. You need some kids that can fly and get up and down. Iowa just does not have that.....no creation off the dribble and definitely no defensive effort. It seems there are players on other teams that have no fear. They are confident to shoot. If it doesn't go in, they hustle back and make a steal

How m

Nov 28th through Dec 21st will pretty much decide their fate.

oh and Cook in the paint clearly opened things up for several players last year, that is apparent.
I look at these next three games as an opportunity to get back on track and figure out our identity. They should be winnable games (knock on wood).

Then the tough stretch begins. That’s a stretch could chew us up and spit us out, and if it does our NCAA tourney chances will be done before December.

I remember last year we struggled at home against some crappy teams, before turning it around and looking very good in New York.

You can’t ‘teach’ foot speed, or athleticism!! Of which most MAC teams would be ashamed of ours. We are in BIG TROUBLE, with no HOPE for the future, either. Blow it up!
Lack of speed quickness and athleticism aint just a bad game.
Iowa definitely lacks in those areas, but we lacked in those areas last year as well and made the dance. Maybe it’s that much worse this year, I’m not necessarily convinced that it is.

This team is very much like the football team, where there are some good players but mismatched for the style of play. The basketball team is basically playing a bunch if Nate Stanley's, save Toussaint, and Fran still wants to run up and down the floor and not play defense.

Want to play a bunch of big white guys that can shoot? Sure, it works, Wisconsin did a lot of that, but you better play defense. Want to get out on transition and out score the other team, you better get some athletes and we.dont have enough.

Latest posts