Not sure where to put this.. but a convo I had.

ottoman89

My father and I are huge Hawkeye fans. I'm on this board reading a lot, always watching them, attending games when we can, ect..

But we had a talk the other day and started talking about playing at Iowa. And I was thinking about it, and come to the conclusion. I'm a HUGE Hawkeye fan like I said, but if I was a football recruit, I really DO NOT think I'd come to Iowa. I'd go to a somewhere that I could have fun playing in a scheme, or having the chance to play in a wideopen O or physical/blitzing D. Something that would be fun with the chance at a bowl.

You know what you're getting at Iowa. And I'm not so sure I'd want that to be honest.

Is that a sick thing of me to think?

You're good. If you were a recruit, it comes down to what you want. If you like an exciting style of ball, then you'd be better served to go elsewhere. I'd play for the Hawks just because I'd kill for that opportunity, regardless of scheme (though blue-collar better fit the style of game that I played). I'd wear #42 :)

Yeah, I'm thinking as a recruit and myself. I'd kill for the opportunity, but I'd be looking more at my future. Rather than what I WANT for now.

Oregon's offense, or Iowa's offense. It's like Lick ball or Fran ball. You choose.

This is a good comparison. There is a reason why Lickliter couldn't recruit athletes or keep them once they got to IOWA. If I wasn't a die-hard IOWA fan, I wouldn't bother to watch many of the games. We are a boring team.

Yeah, I'm thinking as a recruit and myself. I'd kill for the opportunity, but I'd be looking more at my future. Rather than what I WANT for now.

But what 16 or 17 is actually thinking of their future? Maybe the ones with potential NFL hopes.

It would depend on the position you play. Most years, if you were a WR you would not want to necessarily come to Iowa. However, if you were a lineman or a TE, the track record of putting people in the NFL speaks for itself, especially at TE

If i was a recruit, knowing what I know as a 40 year old, then I would still choose the hawks. Walking out of the tunnel listening to back in black, listening to nile kinnick during the pre-game presentation, an incredible fan base, a coach who is very impressive one on one, and a program that can develop me to be and NFL player.

I would give everything I had to the team and to myself and never quit. And when I turned 40, I would recognize the strengths of my coaches as well as their weaknesses and wished they would have stood up for me when someone chop blocked me, held me on every play, and took dirty shots at me.

I think emotions are still leading the way, and will for a while.

If you are a good recruit, I will tell you one of the top things in your mind: The NFL. I have interviewed close to 1000 high school football players through the years. The kids that are good all think they are going to play in the league.

Iowa's track record of developing players and getting the most out of them is on par with the best in the nation.

This is a good comparison. There is a reason why Lickliter couldn't recruit athletes or keep them once they got to IOWA. If I wasn't a die-hard IOWA fan, I wouldn't bother to watch many of the games. We are a boring team.

We may be a boring team, but we have a hell of a track record of making guys ready for the NFL save for the WR and QB position. Over the last 10 years we have consistently cranked out OL, DL, TE, LB, DB, and now recently RB players to the NFL. I think over the next two years we are going to be able to make that claim for WR's and QB's as well.

Thats certainly going to keep athletes comming here.

if I were a recuit, I would have a tough decision of Iowa or going over to Rhoads at isu...The passion that Rhoads has for his players and team are contagious

If you are a good recruit, I will tell you one of the top things in your mind: The NFL. I have interviewed close to 1000 high school football players through the years. The kids that are good all think they are going to play in the league.

Iowa's track record of developing players and getting the most out of them is on par with the best in the nation.

This is more or less what I was about to say. If I was an offensive lineman, or a defensive player, or especially a tight end, I would definitely highly consider the Hawks.

If I was a QB, or probably even a WR.. I think I'd look elsewhere.

KF has a good track record of sending players to the NFL, but how many QB's has he put in the NFL? None that I'm aware of. WR's? Not much I can think of so far, but I think that will change with DJK and McNutt, but we haven't had many NFL talents at those positions the past decade.

JohnDMiller made a great point here. Iowa plays the way NFL scouts like, and the programs has produced some solid players for the league. That right there is a big reason why good recruits will keep coming. That and the fact that Iowa just won a BCS bowl less than a year ago. Lets keep our heads on people its not like this is the first time we have been here. I agree the offense needs to get better a lot better. But this team will be good again.

I agree that Iowa's NFL track record still makes them desirable for recruits. We will probably continue to get some the same recruits we have in the past, around top 30 classes. But man I wish we would mix things up on offense a little. I watched Oklahoma/OSU last night and it was like a different sport. So much more entertaining. I know wins are the only thing that matters....but it would still be fun to watch a more exciting style of football. Still with the Pro Set, just not so predictable and antiquated(I understand that there are multiple plays run from similar formations and all that biz).

I agree that this is like Lickliter football. Had Lickliter had success at Iowa, people would have forgiven the boring tempo and style because it came with wins. Same thing applies here. We can forgive Iowa's borishness when we win because it's worth it. But it makes things twice as bad when we have seasons like this one.

Latest posts