Northwestern

Xerxes

Have to give credit to Fitz. Damn he's a great coach. His team is completely outmanned, got completely screwed on a great punt return, down to their 3rd string QB and has outscored Wisconsin's offense.

But for whatever reason, down 24-9, decided to go for 2 instead of kicking a PAT, and then did the same thing down 24-15. It should be 24-17 with NW getting the ball back. Maybe the announcer is correct and their kicker is hurt but he sure doesn't look like it.

Have to give credit to Fitz. Damn he's a great coach. His team is completely outmanned, got completely screwed on a great punt return, down to their 3rd string QB and has outscored Wisconsin's offense.

But for whatever reason, down 24-9, decided to go for 2 instead of kicking a PAT, and then did the same thing down 24-15. It should be 24-17 with NW getting the ball back. Maybe the announcer is correct and their kicker is hurt but he sure doesn't look like it.

I was thinking the same thing at the end of the game. Hell'ofa coach, but what the hell was he thinking? Probably wouldn't have won anyway, but still...

If you have already decided in advance that you are going to go for 2 at the very end instead of going to overtime, you're better off going for the 2 points after the first touchdown than waiting until the end. If you wait until the end and dont get it, the game is over. If you go for 2 after the first touchdown and dont get it, you still have a chance to get one later.

To even be in the game, means taking coaching risks. When you are shorthanded, decisions that don't go your way really stick out. Accolades to Mr Fitz.

I've never been a huge fan of the phrase "playing to win," but this would be the definition of "playing to win" I suppose. I agree with a previous poster in that overtime on the road against a physically overpowering team probably didn't sound too appealing.

Yep stupid to chase extra points so early. But as I have said a lot of times Fitzy is a defensive master and he knows how to slow down or stop other offenses. With him I think his mentality is deny every inch not just feet and yards but every inch. His defense tries to maintain their lanes and they are even known for using some defensive holding at the LOS to mess other teams blocking but they mostly get away with it.

He will put his dbacks on an island sometimes and play a hybrid man to man-zone to confuse college qbs

Firz may have been thinking that it's hard to move the ball on Wisky's good defense so might not get that many opportunities, so try to get all the points he can get. In addition, he knows Wisky has a ball control offense and prob wins the Time of Possession so chances would be limited sec to that as well. He was also down QB's.