Northwest Triangle of Hate

If it comes down to network TV money they're gonna win out over legislators. A bunch of state congress people aren't going to tell the Big Ten and Big 12 that a game has to occur. That's ridiculous. You're wildly overestimating what they can do.
I guess my post contained mysterious assertions hidden in invisible ink. I never said that the legislature could/would overrule the conferences. But, for the conferences to have a role here, things have to change. Right now, schools are free to schedule opponents out of conference as they see fit, and Iowa and Iowa State like playing each other. As things sit right now, the game is possible and there is no real danger of the game going away given the current scheduling model. Do you disagree? If so, what evidence do you have that anyone besides grumpy Iowa fans want to the end the series? The schools and most state officials want this game to happen every year. So, it will unless there is a change that trumps the mutual desire to play the game.

Again, the only way that dynamic changes is if the scheduling paradigm changes such that Iowa has a justification for ending it. 10 game conference schedule? Mandatory early season game against SEC opponent? Iowa State left out of the Super Conference sweepstakes?

Really need to keep Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska at all costs.

I do not care about the rest.

Please drop Iowa State. Who really cares about that game? It is just an irritation every year.....it is a small time team in a small time conference now. Win and no one cares; lose and you have to hear it from the Corn Clowns who think they just won the national championship.

At least Kirk has shut them up since 2014. It has been a nice run of silence from the Corn Clowns.

When this series ends in 2025 or put on hiatus for awhile you know ISU will win that last game. You can see it coming a mile away. It will not matter if Iowa ends up winning 9 of the last 10 it will be the game that they(ISU fans) hold over our(Iowa fans) head and talk shit to us about. And it will be super annoying until if/when the series picks up again.

Wooten was the following year. We ran the naked bootleg play with great success the week before in that wild Halloween win vs Indiana. Then we decided to try it vs Northwestern.

Wooten wasn't fooled. By the time the play was over Northwestern was sitting on a loose ball in our end zone and Stanzi was knocked for the rest of the regular season.
The Juice Williams John Elway game was in 2008. We beat Penn State the next week to start a 13 game win streak that spanned 2 seasons. It was truly the high water mark for Iowa football.

When this series ends in 2025 or put on hiatus for awhile you know ISU will win that last game. You can see it coming a mile away. It will not matter if Iowa ends up winning 9 of the last 10 it will be the game that they(ISU fans) hold over our(Iowa fans) head and talk shit to us about. And it will be super annoying until if/when the series picks up again.

Meh, I'd trade losing the last two for being in the Big Ten while they are in some shitbag conference that makes $9 a year off of the media rights deal because their athletic department is going to be utterly skullfucked once Tejas and OU leave. They'll claim their shitass conference is "Big Ten Light" when in actually it will be "MAC+" or "WAC Heavy."

I guess my post contained mysterious assertions hidden in invisible ink. I never said that the legislature could/would overrule the conferences. But, for the conferences to have a role here, things have to change. Right now, schools are free to schedule opponents out of conference as they see fit, and Iowa and Iowa State like playing each other. As things sit right now, the game is possible and there is no real danger of the game going away given the current scheduling model. Do you disagree? If so, what evidence do you have that anyone besides grumpy Iowa fans want to the end the series? The schools and most state officials want this game to happen every year. So, it will unless there is a change that trumps the mutual desire to play the game.

Again, the only way that dynamic changes is if the scheduling paradigm changes such that Iowa has a justification for ending it. 10 game conference schedule? Mandatory early season game against SEC opponent? Iowa State left out of the Super Conference sweepstakes?

The game hasn't been scheduled beyond the 2025 season for a reason. If you are someone that is rooting for the series to continue it will likely be 2 years on, 2 years off...if the game doesn't go away altogether.

Last edited:
I guess my post contained mysterious assertions hidden in invisible ink. I never said that the legislature could/would overrule the conferences.
Your direct quote from post #38: "whether I like it or not, there isn't anyone who seriously believes that the schools or the legislators are going to let the series die."

That would seem to imply that legislators have the power to decide whether or not the game continues.

Your direct quote from post #38: "whether I like it or not, there isn't anyone who seriously believes that the schools or the legislators are going to let the series die."

That would seem to imply that legislators have the power to decide whether or not the game continues.
Nothin' hidden about that. Lol.

Most in-state rivalries are traditional and I think they are good for the game overall.

Alabama - Auburn
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Clemson - South Carolina
Florida - Florida State
etc.

Many are lopsided (GA - GA Tech). But...about once a decade, GA Tech pulls the upset. Auburn runs back a missed FG.
Some are terminally boring in-state affairs and Iowa v Iowa State is among them.
BUT...they are fun for the residents and families within the state. My brother is an Iowa State grad; I'm and Iowa grad. We look forward to the game. Much more than the Iowa - SE (fill in state university) preseason crap we have scheduled for 20 years.
Those are the meaningless games I would like to eliminate. Not only is it embarassing that we play these games, it is humiliating when we lose to these programs. Id rather lose the occasional game to ISU, than ND State or Central Michigan.

Most in-state rivalries are traditional and I think they are good for the game overall.

Alabama - Auburn
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Clemson - South Carolina
Florida - Florida State
etc.

Many are lopsided (GA - GA Tech). But...about once a decade, GA Tech pulls the upset. Auburn runs back a missed FG.
Some are terminally boring in-state affairs and Iowa v Iowa State is among them.
BUT...they are fun for the residents and families within the state. My brother is an Iowa State grad; I'm and Iowa grad. We look forward to the game. Much more than the Iowa - SE (fill in state university) preseason crap we have scheduled for 20 years.
Those are the meaningless games I would like to eliminate. Not only is it embarassing that we play these games, it is humiliating when we lose to these programs. Id rather lose the occasional game to ISU, than ND State or Central Michigan.
I don’t know any true die hard Hawkeye fan under the age of speed limit who likes the Iowa ISU game. It’s a lose/lose for the Hawks. The game is becoming a relic of a bygone era.

And you wanna talk humiliating…losing to those miserable shit stains in Ames and their garbage fans is just as embarrassing.

Hopefully this B1G expansion will send it to the big football field in the sky. It’s looking more and more like they’re going to add other teams, and the quicker they ditch it the better

I'd like to see Illinois come back to being the rival it was in the eighties.

Maybe Bert can make it happen. But Bert should never have left Wisconsin. Has it really been 14 years since Illinois beat us?
Me too. I remember some great Iowa vs. Pumpkinhead games years ago. It would be great if our natural rivals (UW, Minn, Ill) were all truly great rivalries.

If it comes down to network TV money they're gonna win out over legislators. A bunch of state congress people aren't going to tell the Big Ten and Big 12 that a game has to occur. That's ridiculous. You're wildly overestimating what they can do.

Agreed. Hawkeye Nation posters are not even close to a good sample of what Iowan’s want.

I don’t know any true die hard Hawkeye fan under the age of speed limit who likes the Iowa ISU game. It’s a lose/lose for the Hawks. The game is becoming a relic of a bygone era.

And you wanna talk humiliating…losing to those miserable shit stains in Ames and their garbage fans is just as embarrassing.

Hopefully this B1G expansion will send it to the big football field in the sky. It’s looking more and more like they’re going to add other teams, and the quicker they ditch it the better
You couldnt be more wrong. Do you live in a retirement home. The Iowa/ISU game is the biggest game of the year for the fans around my area i will say. Hard to believe its not the same all over judging by my past interactions. Tailgating its the most wild no doubt, Social media is just buzzing that entire week with banter between rivalies. We have huge yard parties around here only for that game. There is no other game like IOWA/ISU

You couldnt be more wrong. Do you live in a retirement home. The Iowa/ISU game is the biggest game of the year for the fans around my area i will say. Hard to believe its not the same all over judging by my past interactions. Tailgating its the most wild no doubt, Social media is just buzzing that entire week with banter between rivalies. We have huge yard parties around here only for that game. There is no other game like IOWA/ISU
The game sucks.

Meh, to me it's not the biggest game of the year but I'd rather see them than a NW Montana St. It's about a top 3-5 game of the year, depending on what IA State could bring. Remember the 2002 game when they played Seneca Wallace? That had a huge feel and was a great game with implications, but those are every 10-12 years or so, so is a crap shoot.

Oh, I suspect you are in the Beaverdale area of Des Moines. Most fans east of Grinnell would view it as a decent game but not the top game. I think it's more important to IA State fans than the die hard Iowa fans. Just my opinion.

I disagree. The reason the game is great is because it is usually week 2 when there is one marquee game and a bunch of games like Clemson-Furman or Michigan-Ball State. We always get a super bowl performance from the Clowns which is absolutely critical to launching our conference slate.
This is a good point. The timing of the game is nice. And again, as I stated above, I would rather have them instead of many others. I'd like Iowa to play a Missouri, Arkansas or even a Utah from time-to-time. I'd exchange an IA State for one of those teams every so many years.

Maybe Iowa should play IA State at least 2 times every 5 years or something. Those would be bragging rights.

This is a good point. The timing of the game is nice. And again, as I stated above, I would rather have them instead of many others. I'd like Iowa to play a Missouri, Arkansas or even a Utah from time-to-time. I'd exchange an IA State for one of those teams every so many years.

Maybe Iowa should play IA State at least 2 times every 5 years or something. Those would be bragging rights.

I loved Iowa's typical schedule back when we had 8 conference games and went to the 12 game schedule. It was usually (although not every year) two cupcakes, ISU, and one mid tier P5 team. I am fully convinced that the schedule we had in 2009 was a huge part of our win at PSU to open the conference slate that year. We had a close one against UNI (though the game was never in doubt in my opinion), ISU and Arizona led by Nick Foles. PSU had played 4 cupcakes. I think Spievey got torched on the first or second play from scrimmage by PSU and then the defense turned into a freaking wall. The flip side is you don't want dudes getting beaten up in non con.

Guys like you want to play Missouri but I say F them. The last time we were scheduled to play them (2005 IIRC) they bitched out of the series and paid the liquidated damages under the contract. They also bitched out of the bowl game in 2020 so if they ever try calling they need to be told to take a damned hike.

If I had my way, the B1G schedule would be 9 games and the non-con slate would be a cupcake, ISU and then a floating crossover game with the SEC every year the penultimate week of November. The SEC crossover game would replace the current SEC plan of playing absolutely shit tier teams in that week and it would require half of their teams to go north when the weather sucks. You'd have half the teams assigned years in advance for a home or road game that weekend and then set the actual matchups maybe 3 weeks or a month in advance. It would be epic for college football and would give us cross conference games when guys are actually playing rather than the opt out bowl scenario bullshit that the world has developed into.

I loved Iowa's typical schedule back when we had 8 conference games and went to the 12 game schedule. It was usually (although not every year) two cupcakes, ISU, and one mid tier P5 team. I am fully convinced that the schedule we had in 2009 was a huge part of our win at PSU to open the conference slate that year. We had a close one against UNI (though the game was never in doubt in my opinion), ISU and Arizona led by Nick Foles. PSU had played 4 cupcakes. I think Spievey got torched on the first or second play from scrimmage by PSU and then the defense turned into a freaking wall. The flip side is you don't want dudes getting beaten up in non con.

Guys like you want to play Missouri but I say F them. The last time we were scheduled to play them (2005 IIRC) they bitched out of the series and paid the liquidated damages under the contract. They also bitched out of the bowl game in 2020 so if they ever try calling they need to be told to take a damned hike.

If I had my way, the B1G schedule would be 9 games and the non-con slate would be a cupcake, ISU and then a floating crossover game with the SEC every year the penultimate week of November. The SEC crossover game would replace the current SEC plan of playing absolutely shit tier teams in that week and it would require half of their teams to go north when the weather sucks. You'd have half the teams assigned years in advance for a home or road game that weekend and then set the actual matchups maybe 3 weeks or a month in advance. It would be epic for college football and would give us cross conference games when guys are actually playing rather than the opt out bowl scenario bullshit that the world has developed into.

Good point on Missouri and their bullshit in the past.