Northwest Triangle of Hate

Minnesota can take a hike. We need to keep playing nebraska at all costs.

Make those genetic defectives hate Thanksgiving.

We're going to get stuck with them as our "protected rival" or whatever it is. Call me old fashioned, but I was at the 2015 game in Stinkin' where we finished our perfect regular season (en route to a heartbreaking loss to MSU and an absolute asswhooping by Standford) and it was not as epic as laying a beatdown on Wisconsin back in ought four when their jackass fans showed up at Kinnick with roses for the last game. And while I wasn't there in person, I am told that the 2002 game at the Metrodump was pretty special as well. Nebraska will forever be a Big Eight team to me, but I understand it, you Millennials don't remember history so you think the here and now is all that matters.

We're going to get stuck with them as our "protected rival" or whatever it is. Call me old fashioned, but I was at the 2015 game in Stinkin' where we finished our perfect regular season (en route to a heartbreaking loss to MSU and an absolute asswhooping by Standford) and it was not as epic as laying a beatdown on Wisconsin back in ought four when their jackass fans showed up at Kinnick with roses for the last game. And while I wasn't there in person, I am told that the 2002 game at the Metrodump was pretty special as well. Nebraska will forever be a Big Eight team to me, but I understand it, you Millennials don't remember history so you think the here and now is all that matters.

Small nitpick, I'm a millennial and I'm 40. The top end Millennials are old now.

I was also at that Nebraska game in 2015 and I basically just remember freezing my ass off. My god it was cold.

Small nitpick, I'm a millennial and I'm 40. The top end Millennials are old now.

I was also at that Nebraska game in 2015 and I basically just remember freezing my ass off. My god it was cold.

Yes, I know that the oldest Millennials are now 42. That doesn't change the fact that if you were born after December 31, 1979 your opinion is worthless.

Really need to keep Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska at all costs.

I do not care about the rest.

Please drop Iowa State. Who really cares about that game? It is just an irritation every year.....it is a small time team in a small time conference now. Win and no one cares; lose and you have to hear it from the Corn Clowns who think they just won the national championship.

At least Kirk has shut them up since 2014. It has been a nice run of silence from the Corn Clowns.

WI, MN, NW, should remain on our schedule into eternity. I don’t give a flyer about the rest of the BT.
Northwestern game sucks.

Low-rent fans in a turd of a stadium who don't give two shits about football. Usually garbage weather too. Feels like you're at a high school game and on TV there are high school games that are louder. If you want to keep NW then it has to be at Kinnick every year.

Minnesota sucks as well. Least P5-feeling stadium in all of football, and most fans that give a shit are geriatric. That game died out a long time ago.

Really need to keep Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska at all costs.

I do not care about the rest.

Please drop Iowa State. Who really cares about that game? It is just an irritation every year.....it is a small time team in a small time conference now. Win and no one cares; lose and you have to hear it from the Corn Clowns who think they just won the national championship.

At least Kirk has shut them up since 2014. It has been a nice run of silence from the Corn Clowns.
This^^^

ISU game sucks. Hopefully something will happen with the restructure that we don't have to play 'em anymore. If the only thing that happened from UCLA and USC joining was the elimination of that game, it'd be worth it.

Northwestern game sucks.

Low-rent fans in a turd of a stadium who don't give two shits about football. Usually garbage weather too. Feels like you're at a high school game and on TV there are high school games that are louder. If you want to keep NW then it has to be at Kinnick every year.

Minnesota sucks as well. Least P5-feeling stadium in all of football, and most fans that give a shit are geriatric. That game died out a long time ago.
I believe NW is getting a big stadium upgrade with lots of cash. Agree that stadium is dreadful.

I could give a shit about Nebraska. I know a lot of Iowa fans think this is the most important rivalry. It certainly isn't.

I really don't care if we play Minny every year. I really get up for the Wisconsin game and really enjoy the Nebby game because their fans get knocked down, now every year. It's fun watching them get knocked down a few notches. They do it every year. Get ramped up and act like they are the shit, only to shit the bed.

I know Floyd of Rosedale is out there, but I would be fine with playing Minny at least every other year or even skip a couple here and there. Actually, that might make a win a little more enjoyable or important if get to keep Floyd for a couple years before playing.

I also think we could play IA State every 3-5 years or so for same reason. Don't know if that has to be every year but at least it's a formidable non-conference game compared to NE Missouri States of the world.

I believe NW is getting a big stadium upgrade with lots of cash. Agree that stadium is dreadful.

I could give a shit about Nebraska. I know a lot of Iowa fans think this is the most important rivalry. It certainly isn't.

The only thing dreadful about Northwestern's stadium is how shittily Kurt manages to get his troops ready for battle there. It needs a few updates, but it is an absolutely fine place to watch a ball game. I had seasons in the top row with my back to the Lake. The views on those crisp fall days were absolutely spectacular. The biggest issue up there is fan apathy. Northwestern is a tiny school and a large percentage of the student body doesn't give a shit about sports. And their grads move all over the world so the people who do care about sports gets whittled down on graduation day every year. The people who move to the Chicago area are also by and large already wedded to a college team by the time they get there, so they aren't likely to adopt Northwestern as their team unless they watched their team get systematically worked over by the master tactician, Pat Fitzgerald, on numerous occasions and got so pissed off at their team that they just gave up for awhile.

Spending any money on that stadium other than the bare minimum necessary to keep it up to code is just pissing money down the drain. They had plans for a revamp of it had Chicago won its bid to get the Olympics and that would have been money well spent, but aside from that one off circumstance there is just no reason to work on it.

I agree on Nebraska. Nebraska is a Big 8 team and even though I hate them due to historical circumstance and geography, I'm pretty indifferent to playing them on Black Friday every year. What I hate more than Nebraska is the fact that Nebraska doesn't play Oklahoma on that day every year. That was a helluva college football rivalry and it was probably the first victim of conference realignment in the modern era. Trying to pigeonhole a rivalry out of the Iowa-Nebraska is as fake and lame as the Land Grant Trophy.

Just get rid of Iowa State and play one more conference game. It's like playing Northern Iowa or Drake. Iowa gains nothing from this game. It's not even a conference game in a conference that soon will include 16 teams and may include 20 in the near future. Iowa State didn't even get passing interest from the Big Ten or SEC. They are in a shitty conference. Iowa should play more conference games and fewer non-conference games. No one cares about Iowa State anymore. They are totally irrelevant. Campbell TRIED to leave but no one really wanted him after the greatest team in Iowa State history belly flopped and went 7-6.

Northwestern game sucks.

The NW and Minny games are important conference games. Nebraska, I suppose, is as well but until they are a factor, it's just not as important.

I know Iowa fans get a hard on for Nebraska and ISU, but they really need to consider the importance of games like NW (which beats us on the regular), Minny (which will have a good team this year), and of course the Badjerks.

To me, the goal is to get to Indy, and recently it's been mostly Wisconsin, with some Iowa and NW sprinkled in. Why the Nebby excitement?
The only thing dreadful about Northwestern's stadium is how shittily Kurt manages to get his troops ready for battle there. It needs a few updates, but it is an absolutely fine place to watch a ball game. I had seasons in the top row with my back to the Lake. The views on those crisp fall days were absolutely spectacular. The biggest issue up there is fan apathy. Northwestern is a tiny school and a large percentage of the student body doesn't give a shit about sports. And their grads move all over the world so the people who do care about sports gets whittled down on graduation day every year. The people who move to the Chicago area are also by and large already wedded to a college team by the time they get there, so they aren't likely to adopt Northwestern as their team unless they watched their team get systematically worked over by the master tactician, Pat Fitzgerald, on numerous occasions and got so pissed off at their team that they just gave up for awhile.

Spending any money on that stadium other than the bare minimum necessary to keep it up to code is just pissing money down the drain. They had plans for a revamp of it had Chicago won its bid to get the Olympics and that would have been money well spent, but aside from that one off circumstance there is just no reason to work on it.

I agree on Nebraska. Nebraska is a Big 8 team and even though I hate them due to historical circumstance and geography, I'm pretty indifferent to playing them on Black Friday every year. What I hate more than Nebraska is the fact that Nebraska doesn't play Oklahoma on that day every year. That was a helluva college football rivalry and it was probably the first victim of conference realignment in the modern era. Trying to pigeonhole a rivalry out of the Iowa-Nebraska is as fake and lame as the Land Grant Trophy.
Agree on The Bugeaters and the contrived rivalry. Also agree on Chicago (or any huge metro area). It's just different in huge cities. Northwestern reminds me of how many UCLA students feel about football here in LA. Students here are from all over the world. They leave LA after graduating (some do at least). There are lots of other things that interest people. The rose bowl is miles away from campus.

I do think the NW stadium will benefit from modern upgrades, though. They have a lot of donor money from the Ryans. They have plenty of cash.

I think Iowa needs to stay serious about jNW. I think KF may have a losing record against NW in his time at Iowa. Iowa fans hate Nebby. I get it. They are annoying. They should hate NW, as they beat us quite frequently. Even more than that, Iowa should hate Wisconsin.

I think Iowa should play Wisconsin on Black Friday. They are the two best teams in the division, play incredibly close games, and going to Indy usually means beating UW.

The NW and Minny games are important conference games. Nebraska, I suppose, is as well but until they are a factor, it's just not as important.

I know Iowa fans get a hard on for Nebraska and ISU, but they really need to consider the importance of games like NW (which beats us on the regular), Minny (which will have a good team this year), and of course the Badjerks.

To me, the goal is to get to Indy, and recently it's been mostly Wisconsin, with some Iowa and NW sprinkled in. Why the Nebby excitement?

Agree on The Bugeaters and the contrived rivalry. Also agree on Chicago (or any huge metro area). It's just different in huge cities. Northwestern reminds me of how many UCLA students feel about football here in LA. Students here are from all over the world. They leave LA after graduating (some do at least). There are lots of other things that interest people. The rose bowl is miles away from campus.

I do think the NW stadium will benefit from modern upgrades, though. They have a lot of donor money from the Ryans. They have plenty of cash.

I think Iowa needs to stay serious about jNW. I think KF may have a losing record against NW in his time at Iowa. Iowa fans hate Nebby. I get it. They are annoying. They should hate NW, as they beat us quite frequently. Even more than that, Iowa should hate Wisconsin.

I think Iowa should play Wisconsin on Black Friday. They are the two best teams in the division, play incredibly close games, and going to Indy usually means beating UW.
Up until Nebby joined the BIG, Iowa didn't fare too well against them. It's cyclical.

I agree with playing Wiscy in the Black Friday game. That would be huge.

Up until Nebby joined the BIG, Iowa didn't fare too well against them. It's cyclical.

I agree with playing Wiscy in the Black Friday game. That would be huge.
Nebraska used to be awesome, and we played them occasionally. They were incredible for a long time, but I'm not sure they are coming back to any greatness, any time soon. So, I agree mostly, but I question Nebraska's ability to return to any kind of team that would place better than maybe 4th in the Big Ten West. Perhaps their next coach will be able to do it, but the landscape has changed a great deal in college football, and most of the kids they might recruit weren't even alive when they were great. So, it remains to be seen I guess. Meanwhile, Wisconsin, NW, Purdue, and Minny are all better than Nebraska, and may be for the foreseeable future. I don't know if this is cyclical.