Northern Illinois loses only returning OL

The offense was the strength of their team last year and with so little returning players on offense including the loss of all OL an their star QB I don't think Iowa will have much of a problem with this team. Their defense was pretty bad last year. I just don't see how Iowa loses this game.

There is always a way Iowa loses a game... Although I think the new wrinkles on offense are going to give teams problems unlike the KOK predictable play calling.

The offense was the strength of their team last year and with so little returning players on offense including the loss of all OL an their star QB I don't think Iowa will have much of a problem with this team. Their defense was pretty bad last year. I just don't see how Iowa loses this game.

I use to think like this until Iowa lost to some of the worst Minnesota teams in history in back-to-back seasons. Iowa isn't a lock for a win in any game, especially this season. Northern Illinois has nation's longest win streak at 9 coming into this season. Let's hope Iowa ends that streak. Should be a good game.

I use to think like this until Iowa lost to some of the worst Minnesota teams in history in back-to-back seasons. Iowa isn't a lock for a win in any game, especially this season. Northern Illinois has nation's longest win streak at 9 coming into this season. Let's hope Iowa ends that streak. Should be a good game.

Although I agree no game is a lock for Iowa based on recent history, I do think they will come out this year with a renewed energy from the new coaches. I fully expect to win this game by double digits. It's the following week that has me worried.

Their defense is not good and our O will be able to put up a lot of points against them. They gave up over 40 last year to Kansas and Central Michigan. They gave up 60 points to Toledo.

Their offense lost their QB Harnish and I doubt they have an NFL level QB backing him up. Their entire OL is gone. Their top to rushers Harnish and an RB are gone. Their leading Receiver is gone.

Iowa will cover the spread easily.

I don't wish injury on any college kid, but this will help our d-line get some confidence the first game and makes it even more likely we will start 1-0.
I'd rather have them go against experienced players so they can get better themselves.

I'd rather have them go against experienced players so they can get better themselves.

Hopefully they get enough of that practicing against our OL. I'll take the confidence after a solid performance, whether or not it came against weak competition of week 1.

Northern Illinois loses OL Pegram to broken leg - Chicago Tribune

Not only was he the only returning OL but they said he had moved to center and was working closely with the new QB.

I was Best Man at Pegram's parents wedding, played football with his father at Drake. Many drunken nights, roadtrips, orgies etc. Logan is my pass into the game at Chicago (Hawk fan sitting in the middle of the Huskies family section)...not sure if I'll go now since his folks won't be making the trip. Feel bad for the kid and his parents, but this should help the Hawks.

I really don't see anyway we can lose to this team, ( barring everyone getting injured of course). We should beat them by 21 on a bad day. I really feel this team will be special by years end, everything coming into place and gelling. I see 9-3 at worst. Go Hawks!

There is always a way Iowa loses a game... Although I think the new wrinkles on offense are going to give teams problems unlike the KOK predictable play calling.

How bad will it be for recruiting to lose to Northern Illinois at Soldier Field? I'll bet it would be huge for NIU recruiting if they win.

These games seem like they are quite risky. Big rewards for a win and big regrets for a loss.

The Hawks can lose this game.......not likely, but can. We've seen it on numerous occasions over the years to lessor opponents. Possible contributors:

* Greg Davis offense - new to all but Greg Davis

* Kirk says we have alot of work to do - translated to "we're far from where we need to be". Maybe "coach talk" but maybe not.

* Greg Davis offense - much more effective with speed - you don't transform a team overnight. How well does it work with our personnel?

* No RB has had enough carries to show they can hold onto the ball well.

* Some teams look better early rather than later - Ferentz teams look better later especially on the OL

* We're the Super Bowl to NIU

* Good punting and special team's play - ??? Has usually accompanied most of our better years. It's a wild card at this point this season.

* Vandenberg's road record

Not predicting a loss but there are reasons for some concern.

Latest posts