Norm Parker on Spievey & Clayborn Leaving Early

Don't be surprised if all 3 decide to stay for their senior seasons..........you heard it hear first.

My League sources are telling me that:
- Bulaga - with the illness and mediocre play after his return would be a 2nd round grade if he were to come out.

- Clayborn - most scouts I talk to say he is 5th/6th rd. grade due to his size and inconsistency.......but there is talk that another year could make him into an Elvis Dumervil/Dwight Freeney type pass-rusher.

- Spivey - scouts say he is 3rd to 5th rd grade (i.e. Charles Godfrey and Bradley Fletcher), they like his size and tackling but are concerned about his lack of speed.....on several occasions he was beat on simple go routes. My sources say they want to see more physicality and improved speed. Safety is a likely position if he enters early.

The decision to go to the NFL from they player's standpoint has nothing to do with how ready the player is right now, unless he signs a contract with performance-based incentives. Either he'll be ready by the time his contract expires or he won't, and if he's not, then he probably wouldn't have progressed any more in college either, and college would have just been another year of not being rich.

Also, the possibility of some kind of salary structure for NFL picks in the near future may cause more kids to come out of college. That may only affect 1st rounders and I don't think any of the Hawk juniors project to the 1st round at this time.

I am old school. I think a kid should go to college 4 years no matter how good they are. In the NFL you are one play away from the real working world if you get hurt.

I am old school. I think a kid should go to college 4 years no matter how good they are. In the NFL you are one play away from the real working world if you get hurt.

Clayborn and Spievey have been to college for 4 years. Do you mean they should graduate if that means 5 years in college?

Latest posts