Norm Parker had foot amputated.

Sitting next to someone during the game who said that Norm required more amputation to the leg in question sometime during the week prior to the Penn State game. That might be what further amputation was refering to.

Does anybody know if he will be involved in any of the game planning for Michigan? I'm not saying they make Norm come into the film room but maybe giving him some tapes and having him look them over?

Sitting next to someone during the game who said that Norm required more amputation to the leg in question sometime during the week prior to the Penn State game. That might be what further amputation was refering to.

That is what I am wondering, I orginally heard he lost his leg right below the knee but I think it is more serious then just losing the foot, not that losing your foot isn't serious.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Norm, his family, and anyone fighting the same fight. We're definitely thinking about you in this dark time.

Damn, according to this he had his foot amputated and has possibly lost another limb of some sort since then.

Get well Norm and don't worry about coming back this year, your health is more important then football.

I work with diabetic amputees. Many times they start with toe ulcers and have toes amputated. That *can* put pressure on other areas of the foot which sets the patient up for other sores which can lead to other amputations. Rarely does someone have a "foot" amputated. Usually, if the foot needs to be amputated they just do a below knee amputation.

Believe it or not, this can be a welcome relief to patients who are often tired of having bluky casts to wear for months and months. They often have antibotics, wound care, visits to ortho/vascular surgery/prosthetics. It can be all consuming. Crazy as it sounds, a lot of people bounce back quite well from a below knee amputation and will say they have more energy and feel better.

Norm is a tough guy, and having a leg or foot amputated is a heartbreaking thing. I am telling everyone right now to not feel sorry for him. He needs our prayers, but not our sympathy.
Norm needs to get up and move on without his foot, with or without football is his choice.
We need to push him to get better, not fluff his chair so he can sit back and wilt away.
Let's go Norm, life is waiting!

If this is the end of coaching for Norm (I really hope it isn't), I think he will always be remembered in the football world for his great personality and outstanding defenses.
I would like to point out that many coaches want to leave on a high note, and what better performance by a D-Coordinator can anyone remember than the 2010 Orange bowl. He was simply brilliant.

I didn't realize this happened 2 weeks ago until I read the article. I wonder if he kept it from the team until bye week so they wouldn't be distracted.

Last edited:
We're praying you have a speedy recovery Coach Parker and that we will see you on the Kinnick sidelines again very soon. Thank you for your dedication to the HAWKEYE Football program and all of the excitement you have brought to millions of HAWKEYE fans.

Latest posts