Norm Parker had foot amputated.

I work with diabetics in the South, where the percentage of diabetics is amazingly high. Amputations of limbs, fingers, toes, and blindness are very common results of long term diabetes. Basically, people get infections that can't be stopped by antibiotics and the only thing to do is amputate to stop the spread of the infection.

wow that's scary

I saw that Tweet and thought it was a joke. What kind of complications of a diabetic that would lead to amputating a foot???

No offense, but you don't know much about diabetes, do you?

Infected sores/cuts are a huge issue for diabetics. Their bodies don't do well with antibiotics and often times a minor cut or sore will eventually require amputation. My uncle, who is a Type 1 diabetic, got scratched by a his cat on his arm last year. His arm swelled up to about 3 times it's normal size and, by the grace of God, was eventually able to get it under control. But he was about a week away from having to get it amputated at the elbow. Diabetes is one of the worst diseases ever created.

At his age, it probably isn't the diabetes itself that led to that amputation, but more than likely the diabetes causing something else. When AIDS was very prevalent, a lot of patients would die from pneumonia or bronchitis.

hmmmm? to me that sounds like complications from diabets doesn't it?

For all those who have cried for his firing in years past, I hope they are filled with guilt.

Huh? Whether some feel he has done a good job or not has nothing to do with his health problems.

Damn, according to this he had his foot amputated and has possibly lost another limb of some sort since then.

That last sentence probably should've been removed, as it's referring to this same amputation.

At his age, it probably isn't the diabetes itself that led to that amputation, but more than likely the diabetes causing something else. When AIDS was very prevalent, a lot of patients would die from pneumonia or bronchitis.

diabetes - poor circulation - body parts furthest form the heart first to get into trouble. And the feet can have poor circulation to start with in 'healthy' people. that is why when norm hurt his foot before he had to have a toe amputated because injuries just don't heal well with people with poor circulation. peripheral artery disease caused by diabetes.

There is an obvious lack of understanding of the seriousness of diabetes among some posters. I hope all will now realize that diabetes is not only serious it is rapidly increasing because of increases in obesity. Diabetes is a leading cause of amputations, kidney failure and blindness. Everyone with diabetes needs to attack it seriously. I am not implying that Norm did not take care of his diabetes - it is simply a very difficult disease.

Exactly. For all those who have cried for his firing in years past, I hope they are filled with guilt.

Just exactly who the 'eff has ever "cried for his firing"? No person associated with this program is loved by the Hawkeye faithful more than Norm Parker

Just exactly who the 'eff has ever "cried for his firing"? No person associated with this program is loved by the Hawkeye faithful more than Norm Parker

a few years ago, the jake C. era (no better way to put it, IMO) i heard plenty of people say that NP was past his prime, his defenses were antiquated, why don't we blitz, etc. winning cures all. same people who biatch about KOK (but not KF, for whatever unknown reason - stupidity, me thinks).

I work for a company that sells insulin and other products for patients with diabetes. Nasty, nasty disease and it as not going anywhere in the US as long as we continue to eat like we do and not exercise.

Three major complications include Diabetic Nephropathy, Diabetic Neuropathy and Diabetic Retinopathy. Nephropathy is caused by uncontrolled high blood sugar levels over time, which can lead to kidney damage and ultimately kidney failure. It can be tough to diagnose, as early onset is symptom free.

Neuropathy is what has most likely caused Coach Parker to have to go through a series of amputations. Once again, uncontrolled blood sugars over time lead to nerve damage, especially in the extremities. An early sign of this may be a tingling sensation in your feet. As diabetes progresses, your feet may become numb and you may not notice a blister or scratch or cut, which could then lead to infection as others have mentioned earlier. This is why it is extremely important for patients with diabetes to check their feet on a regular basis.

Retinopathy is the third major problem. This is nerve damage in your eyes because of uncontrolled blood sugars over time. This can lead to poor eye site as the disease progress and possibly even blindness.

Other complications can include heart disease, stroke, erectile dysfunction, etc... Much of the time patients with diabetes have high blood pressure and high cholesterol as well.

The important thing to note is that Type 2 Diabetes is preventable. It is due to obesity, over-eating and lack of exercise. Type 1 Diabetes is not preventable, yet treatable and it can be hereditary.

In a nutshell, as blood sugars rise over time, people begin to lose beta cell function. Beta cells are found in the pancreas and are stimulated when blood sugar levels are high to produce insulin. Insulin helps regulate high blood sugars in our bodies. When there is too much sugar, beta cells work harder to produce insulin and can burn out over time. This is why a patient with diabetes may eventually have to go on insulin as their body just cannot produce enough insulin to counteract the high sugar levels. Beta cell burnout is irreversible!

Regular diet and exercise goes along ways in the prevention of type 2 diabetes. For those who do have diabetes, please make lifestyle modifications, monitor your bloods sugars on a daily basis and make sure the medicine you are taking is working appropriately.

I am not trying to preach good health by any means, as I have my own struggles. However, many people do not understand what diabetes is, let alone the complications that come with the disease.

Hope this helps!

Prayers for him and his family. He's one of the best at what he does, and I wish him a speedy recovery and that this is the last time he has to have something removed... but could you imagine if we would have won @Arizona? The "Norm Parker getting something amputated leads to great season" myth would be like a freight train on the boards right now. NC hopes would be sky high!

Ugh. Norm, we love you but it may be time to hang it up and take care of yourself.

I've seen what diabetes has done to my dad and I wish Norm a speedy recovery.

He really needs to take care of himself, might have to step away for awhile or into some type of advisory role. The percentages are against him for another amputation higher up or on the other leg in the near future. Some stats I've seen it as high as 50% chance for another amputation in five years.

Latest posts