Noah Fant

Agreed, I'd honestly be more annoyed if he ditched us for Minnesota than if left for Nebraska. Because I've kind of prepared myself for the NE possibility already. But I don't think either happen.

Just.....Minnesota??? Really??

In recruiting I always prepare myself for the worst and hope for the best... From all indications he was always going to take all of his visits, but the Minnesota visit the weekend before signing day seems odd?

The part that would annoy me would be if he were to flip to Minnesota from the Hawks. Fant would automatically be the greatest player in the history of their program because he was previously committed to Iowa. I've never seen a fan base so obsessed with Iowa, their facilities, recruits, record, schedule... It goes deep, Iowa being better really bothers the Gopher fan base.

The puzzling part for me is TE is his preferred position which seems to be one of the reasons NE is back in it after pursuing him only as a DE earlier. Now which program of these 3 clearly is TE University?

In recruiting I always prepare myself for the worst and hope for the best... From all indications he was always going to take all of his visits, but the Minnesota visit the weekend before signing day seems odd?

The part that would annoy me would be if he were to flip to Minnesota from the Hawks. Fant would automatically be the greatest player in the history of their program because he was previously committed to Iowa. I've never seen a fan base so obsessed with Iowa, their facilities, recruits, record, schedule... It goes deep, Iowa being better really bothers the Gopher fan base.

Ok.

Hard to say. I don't think any of the 3 really use the TE all that much to be called "Tight End University". NE has started to use the tight end more in their offense since Pelini left. Even ran some TE reverses which I thought was kinda cool. Our use of Kittle might appeal to him. But it's not like he got 10 targets a game. I'm really not sure what Fant is looking for from each.

The question is.....is there something Fant hears or sees on his visit to MN that triggers his mind to think he wants to go there? I don't know what he's looking for. We'll see.

Congrats on making his point.

Thank you! "Friendly" Gopher was the same guy taking shots at Iowa during the Rose Bowl... Yep they played bad, would have much rather played in Detroilet in the Used Tire bowl.

Congrats on being 6-7, I'm sure your beautiful Used Tire trophy will be on full display at the State Fair.

Thank you! "Friendly" Gopher was the same guy taking shots at Iowa during the Rose Bowl... Yep they played bad, would have much rather played in Detroilet in the Used Tire bowl.

Congrats on being 6-7, I'm sure your beautiful Used Tire trophy will be on full display at the State Fair.

Idk what you're talking about.

Lurking mostly, but hearing all this talk in Omaha including shameless talk show hosts who want to pressure a young man into changing his decsion.. I just had to do it. It make me sick to think of how narrow minded the Husker world is sometimes.

A personal letter to Noah Fant in TMinus54321....

Dear Noah,

I heard your commitment on the radio and you seem like a very intelligent, thoughful young man with a good family. Really, this talk of you possibly wavering for Nebraska (or another school) is probably much ado about nothing. I heard lots of this stuff on the radio... how Nebraska is starting to use their TEs more, that you'd be a great fit, that Cethan Carter is ready for a breakout in Mike Riley's offesnse, etc. It comes down to this really... is your goal to play TE in the NFL or is your goal to be a local hero (temporarily)?

History tells the story...
Mike Riley coached a total of 14 years at Oregon St before 2015. In all that time, the school produced 1 TE who played in the NFL, Tim Euhus who Riley did not recruit to the school and coached for just one year... similar story to Cethan Carter, but more on him later.

Kirk Ferentz had coached a whopping 16 years at Iowa before 2015... really similar span, right? Except for the fact that Iowa has had 9 TES who have played in the NFL from the Ferentz era. That is right, nearly every significant contributor at TE at Iowa goes to the NFL. So here is the scorecard:

Riley OSTU 1 TE, 4 Yrs, 34 games and 14 catches in NFL, the 1 was drafted!, and 0 TEs still active.
Ferentz Iowa 9 TEs, 44 yrs, 493 games and 1,059 catches in NFL, with 6 drafted, at least 4 still active.

Oh, but that thing about Cethan Carter being used so much and recent trends and all that... True, he had 26 touches this year and has a fair chance with a good senior year to be the 2nd draftee from Riley (who he didn't recruit) in his most recent 16 years of coaching college football.

But, did you notice that Henry Krieger-Coble had 35 catches this year and is a projected 5-6th round draft choice in the draft. How about the fact that George Kittle's had an additional 20 receptions and is trending toward an NFL run in 2017 as well. Oh, and the sad part is Jake Duzey who was to be Iowa's #1 TE coming into this year after 36 catches in 2014, and who was a nearly a sure NFL prospect had 2 unfortunate knee injuries this year that sadly may end his football career. All this, and NO ONE even mentioned that Iowa is using their TEs more all of a sudden... because they ARE NOT.

The facts are there, but you probably knew them already and that is why you were smart enough, and gutsy enough to begin with to commit to the Hawks. Do you want to be an NFL TE... or do you want to be the talk of the town for a few months?

Personally, I want to see you at Iowa building into the NFL player you have the potential to become.
Yours truly,
TM54321

Lurking mostly, but hearing all this talk in Omaha including shameless talk show hosts who want to pressure a young man into changing his decsion.. I just had to do it. It make me sick to think of how narrow minded the Husker world is sometimes.

Dear Noah,

I heard your commitment on the radio and you seem like a very intelligent, thoughful young man with a good family. Really, this talk of you possibly wavering for Nebraska (or another school) is probably much ado about nothing. I heard lots of this stuff on the radio... how Nebraska is starting to use their TEs more, that you'd be a great fit, that Cethan Carter is ready for a breakout in Mike Riley's offesnse, etc. It comes down to this really... is your goal to play TE in the NFL or is your goal to be a local hero (temporarily)?

Mike Riley coached a total of 14 years at Oregon St before 2015. In all that time, the school produced 1 TE who played in the NFL, Tim Euhus who Riley did not recruit to the school and coached for just one year... similar story to Cethan Carter, but more on him later.

Kirk Ferentz had coached a whopping 16 years at Iowa before 2015... really similar span, right? Except for the fact that Iowa has had 9 TES who have played in the NFL from the Ferentz era. That is right, nearly every significant contributor at TE at Iowa goes to the NFL. So here is the scorecard:

Riley OSTU 1 TE, 4 Yrs, 34 games and 14 catches in NFL, the 1 was drafted!, and 0 TEs still active.
Ferentz Iowa 9 TEs, 44 yrs, 493 games and 1,059 catches in NFL, with 6 drafted, at least 4 still active.

Oh, but that thing about Cethan Carter being used so much and recent trends and all that... True, he had 26 touches this year and has a fair chance with a good senior year to be the 2nd draftee from Riley (who he didn't recruit) in his most recent 16 years of coaching college football.

But, did you notice that Henry Krieger-Coble had 35 catches this year and is a projected 5-6th round draft choice in the draft. How about the fact that George Kittle's had an additional 20 receptions and is trending toward an NFL run in 2017 as well. Oh, and the sad part is Jake Duzey who was to be Iowa's #1 TE coming into this year after 36 catches in 2014, and who was a nearly a sure NFL prospect had 2 unfortunate knee injuries this year that sadly may end his football career. All this, and NO ONE even mentioned that Iowa is using their TEs more all of a sudden... because they ARE NOT.

The facts are there, but you probably knew them already and that is why you were smart enough, and gutsy enough to begin with to commit to the Hawks. Do you want to be an NFL TE... or do you want to be the talk of the town for a few months?

Personally, I want to see you at Iowa building into the NFL player you have the potential to become.
Yours truly,
TM54321

I live in Omaha, listen to sports talk radio every day. Never heard one bad thing about Noah Fant or radio hosts trying to "sway" him. If you believe that, I'm sorry. Damon Benning (former Nebraska player and host of one of the major sports talk shows here) hosted Noah on their show and that's where Fant announced his commitment to Iowa.....Pretty sure he's not going to publicly announce on his own radio show that the kid that he invited on his show to announce his commitment should change 2 weeks before signing day because HE wants him to. That's the only station I've actually heard talk about Iowa recruiting. Fant is a Hawkeye. It's gonna stay that way.

Hard to say. I don't think any of the 3 really use the TE all that much to be called "Tight End University". NE has started to use the tight end more in their offense since Pelini left. Even ran some TE reverses which I thought was kinda cool. Our use of Kittle might appeal to him. But it's not like he got 10 targets a game. I'm really not sure what Fant is looking for from each.

The question is.....is there something Fant hears or sees on his visit to MN that triggers his mind to think he wants to go there? I don't know what he's looking for. We'll see.

I think it is clear that this staff always had Beyer as their backup plan to Fant. Well Nebraska called Iowa's hand by offering Beyer, and so Iowa offered and got him. I really don't care at this point if Fant comes to Iowa or not, as we have TJ and Beyer as our TE this year. Fant does have position flexibility of the 3 though, as he could play DE (I don't think TJ or Beyer can/will as they are true TE). Yet we are signing a wealth of DE talent as well.

I know the staff still wants Fant, and he could be one hell of a player. Yet this is football, and one TE isn't going to make or break a team, in that we will always put above Avg. TE's on the field, because our coaches can flat out coach the position, and we have very good talent to work with.

So I'm not going to get worked up over losing a single recruit (unless we are talking about AJ type of kid).

Live in Omaha and this is a lot of hot air. Noah will be a Hawk as he loves the coaches (Ferentz x2 and Woods) and knows his best path to the NFL is through Iowa City. He has done his research and is well aware of the history for the last 20+ years.

The only, I repeat the only, way that Fant backs out on his Iowa commitment is if he's afraid of the competition. Which I don't think is the case, but he knows what he has to do if he comes to Iowa. The Iowa program is all about work ethic and earning it. If he backs out now then to me that will be a red flag that he'd rather go somewhere else because it's going to be an easier road. If that's the case then I won't be upset one bit if he chooses to go elsewhere because he didn't belong in a Hawk uniform.

I don't think that's the case though. I think he's up for the challenge and I think he's talented enough to make things happen in Iowa City.

The only, I repeat the only, way that Fant backs out on his Iowa commitment is if he's afraid of the competition. Which I don't think is the case, but he knows what he has to do if he comes to Iowa. The Iowa program is all about work ethic and earning it. If he backs out now then to me that will be a red flag that he'd rather go somewhere else because it's going to be an easier road. If that's the case then I won't be upset one bit if he chooses to go elsewhere because he didn't belong in a Hawk uniform.

I don't think that's the case though. I think he's up for the challenge and I think he's talented enough to make things happen in Iowa City.

Let's not pretend he's competing with O.J. Howard at Alabama for playing time......but yes, I agree. I really, really don't see that as an issue with Fant or any of the commits in this class.

I think those 3 would and could all have a role in 2 or 3 yrs as they grow into their bodies. I like the composition of the team. They are stacked at TE and DE going forward. They'll be young and athletic at those spots for awhile. A couple of those DEs might slide to tackle as many of them as there are. I think Iowa's recruited well at QB going forward (based on nothing more then recruiting hype and body types of them) WR is pretty much the only spot I'm in a position of where they'll have to show me something before I predict big success but I'm confident in the team as a whole

Fant just let me know that he and his family are on their way to Iowa City right not for this weekend's official visit.

OmaHawk,

I will give you this... I thought that Benning was staying away from this kind of talk until he didn't. You must have missed the show the morning he said he wished "a certain Omaha recruit committed elsewhere would reconsider the Huskers" and that followed with discussion with Sharpe about how Nebraska was pointing to using TEs more, etc. And that Nebraska would benefit greatly in momentum by flipping a local guy. Later in the conversation, Benning specifically said Fant by name and said he thought Fant was still open to entertaining other schools and Nebraska should be one of them.

Now, this was either the day of or the day after Benning's friend LP just died in prison and I heard Benning male some pretty emotional comments that would have been hard as heck for someone in his position. He may have been running on some emotion when making the Fant remarks rather than his normal sensibility, but frankly it struck me very wrong BECAUSE of his neutral approach when Fant declared on their show.

I love the show, but was very frustrated by the pressure Benning was indirectly putting on the kid who by all accounts is a very intelligent young man with a very supportive family.

But like I said, I think this is much ado about nothing and the Fant's know it. His presence in IC tonight probably proves that.

My post really was directed mostly at the delusional Husker fans that somehow think that a TE would be better served going to NU than Iowa.

Dear Noah,

Yours truly,
TM54321
You should probably post more often, sir.

Latest posts