No portal moves. Frustrating

So, I really started thinking this morning about this thread. I understand the frustration but Iowa is now returning 9 starters next year on D from one of the best D in the country. Every player that decided to come back, has eligibility, and could take their talent to another school anytime they wish. How bout Sebastian Castro playing at Wisconsin next season? How about Higgins going the Washington to try and play for a title next season?

I guess what I am saying is, Iowa is very active in the portal and have already locked down a ton of wins.

So, I really started thinking this morning about this thread. I understand the frustration but Iowa is now returning 9 starters next year on D from one of the best D in the country. Every player that decided to come back, has eligibility, and could take their talent to another school anytime they wish. How bout Sebastian Castro playing at Wisconsin next season? How about Higgins going the Washington to try and play for a title next season?

I guess what I am saying is, Iowa is very active in the portal and have already locked down a ton of wins.

What about the offense? Need more and better WR's, better OL. The defense is fine. The offense is not.

That's the coordinator I thought. Fixed that.
That's part of it. But it's recruiting better players as well. See the recruiting coordinator for that. Oh yea, Kirk Ferentz's son-in-law is in that role. We know how relatives of KF on Iowa's staff have worked out don't we?

That's part of it. But it's recruiting better players as well. See the recruiting coordinator for that. Oh yea, Kirk Ferentz's son-in-law is in that role. We know how relatives of KF on Iowa's staff have worked out don't we?
I don't know, the last kid went 61-27 at Iowa and won 70% of it's games. IMO we should hire more offspring if he has anyone willing to get their hands dirty.

Iowa coaching staff's obligation is the field the best team possible and win as many games as possible every season. Not to push out defensive players that are proven commodity's so they can get a 4 star WR who's only going to run windsprints at Iowa while KF is around. Iowa's work in the portal has been really good up to this point. You guys just aren't looking at it from a position of retention.

Iowa got Luke Luchey to come back for another year. He could very well just transfer to Nebraska and play with their new 5 Star QB instead.

Hell, I think if Brown and Anderson stay around, they will have won some more portal battles.

I would love to see an experiment where instead of NIL getting blown on QBs, WRs, and other “skill positions,” donors went and said we’re going to go out and spend $5-6 million on the 5 best collegiate O-linemen in the country. I know it’ll never happen, but if you had a front 5 of NFL-ready guys on one college team at one time, there’s not a lot that would stop you and you’d sure as hell be able to influence good QBs to come play for you.

Go ahead and sell your soul to the devil. Make it public that your program wants to buy a BMW instead of a Dodge. It’d be a huge media circus and in a lot of cases any press is good press as long as there aren’t crimes being committed.
Iowa won't do this, but you can bet some school will -- and probably sooner than later.

I don't know, the last kid went 61-27 at Iowa and won 70% of it's games. IMO we should hire more offspring if he has anyone willing to get their hands dirty.

Iowa coaching staff's obligation is the field the best team possible and win as many games as possible every season. Not to push out defensive players that are proven commodity's so they can get a 4 star WR who's only going to run windsprints at Iowa while KF is around. Iowa's work in the portal has been really good up to this point. You guys just aren't looking at it from a position of retention.
Iowa got Luke Luchey to come back for another year. He could very well just transfer to Nebraska and play with their new 5 Star QB instead.

Hell, I think if Brown and Anderson stay around, they will have won some more portal battles.
The only thing funnier than well-done gaslighting is people not recognizing they're being gaslighted. Please continue.

Who the frick said push out defensive players? Get rid of the dead wood from the offense and bring in better talent. In other words, in their year end exit interview let some people know they need to go into the transfer portal. It's not that difficult a concept.

Sure, feelings may get hurt, but this is a business not some feel good kumbaya love fest.

Who the frick said push out defensive players? Get rid of the dead wood from the offense and bring in better talent. In other words, in their year end exit interview let some people know they need to go into the transfer portal. It's not that difficult a concept.

Sure, feelings may get hurt, but this is a business not some feel good kumbaya love fest.
If you don't think that happens I don't know what to tell you. But something has to give. Iowa is going to be a defensive team next year and retaining any of it's key contributers is more important that bringing in new talent. At least in the short term, which is all I care about. Let's win 8+ games next. Iowa is 90 scholarships right now, there is going to be a lot of attrition but turning over the roster on offense is not necessary and actually probably a bad move by Iowa. Bringing in a bunch of new players not in your system or development plan or relying on your the pipeline of players you've built, recruited and know makes a lot of sense. Ask Iowa fan, the offense was bad because of Brian. We fixed that problem

If you don't think that happens I don't know what to tell you. But something has to give. Iowa is going to be a defensive team next year and retaining any of it's key contributers is more important that bringing in new talent. At least in the short term, which is all I care about. Let's win 8+ games next. Iowa is 90 scholarships right now, there is going to be a lot of attrition but turning over the roster on offense is not necessary and actually probably a bad move by Iowa. Bringing in a bunch of new players not in your system or development plan or relying on your the pipeline of players you've built, recruited and know makes a lot of sense. Ask Iowa fan, the offense was bad because of Brian. We fixed that problem

Iowa's transfer portal activity thus far is essentially a microcosm of how they run their program. They could devote resources (NIL, scholarships, recruiting) to maintaining an elite D, and hope that OC and player improvement bring the offense to an acceptable level. Or, they could have devoted those resources to do everything they could to improve O, but they would have to accept that D would drop from elite to very good.

They reason that (elite D + slightly less awful O) > (very good D + approaching average O)

I think they are probably right based upon the results we have seen over the past 5 years. The O absolutely needs to improve, the lack of production over the last 3 years is embarrassing, but we are going to have to hope that comes through coaching the players already here and some minor additions later in the spring.

Iowa's transfer portal activity thus far is essentially a microcosm of how they run their program. They could devote resources (NIL, scholarships, recruiting) to maintaining an elite D, and hope that OC and player improvement bring the offense to an acceptable level. Or, they could have devoted those resources to do everything they could to improve O, but they would have to accept that D would drop from elite to very good.

They reason that (elite D + slightly less awful O) > (very good D + approaching average O)

I think they are probably right based upon the results we have seen over the past 5 years. The O absolutely needs to improve, the lack of production over the last 3 years is embarrassing, but we are going to have to hope that comes through coaching the players already here and some minor additions later in the spring.
Right, even if Iowa brings in a bunch of O recruits, they are likely going to be behind guys who already know the system and have had at least a few seasons to develop in Iowa's program. Their's equity there. I think that's a good thing. I really don't want to see Iowa have a huge # of attrition and then have to try and plug the holes that leaves. Iowa is in a really good position and our program is really healthy. The offense needs to improve and hard to believe it won't eventually but, like turning over the entire thing would be a set back that I'd prefer happen when we get a new HC. I want Kirk to win as many games as he can while he's still here... so it's short termed project management at this point and at least for me, that's what I want.

Latest posts