No More Hawkeye Express - how to get to the game?

MikeyLikesIowa

I got tickets for my wife and I to go the Penn State game. I'm now wondering what's the best strategy for parking and getting to Kinnick. In past games we've been spoiled. We always parked in Coralville and rode the Hawkeye Express to Kinnick. Any feedback/advise is appreciated.

Still can't believe a good thing like that went out of business.....other than covid reasons...but still....what a great thing to go by the wayside.

I park at the Newton Road ramp. It usually has space and only cost like $7 for the length of the game. It's only a 1/2 mile walk to the stadium from there

Get to town early and park at either the Mennonite church ($30) or the Myrtle lot ($25). Finkbine and Hancher are free, but they’re a lot farther away. Myrtle lot and the Mennonite church are like a 6-7 minute walk.

Get to town early and park at either the Mennonite church ($30) or the Myrtle lot ($25). Finkbine and Hancher are free, but they’re a lot farther away. Myrtle lot and the Mennonite church are like a 6-7 minute walk.
There used to be ways to get up the hill behind Hillcrest dorm from Hancher and the east side dorms but that was 20-30 years ago and not sure if hospital expansion and/or covid have cut those off.

They used to let you literally walk through one corridor of the hospital but again those were different times. It was probably a ten minute walk to Kinnick tops, perhaps fifteen tops to CHA.

I got tickets for my wife and I to go the Penn State game. I'm now wondering what's the best strategy for parking and getting to Kinnick. In past games we've been spoiled. We always parked in Coralville and rode the Hawkeye Express to Kinnick. Any feedback/advise is appreciated.
Should also mention that for the Penn State game, you’re gonna want to be way early.

Parking spots are going to fill up quick. Losing the train definitely made life more difficult for fans who don’t tailgate.

If you don’t or can’t do a lot of walking then Finkbine is gonna suck. I do t know if you’re 30 years old or 80. Like has been mentioned Hancher has a shuttle but I texted a buddy of mine who tailgates there and he said it’s faster to just walk than wait for the shuttles, especially after games, I’ve never tailgated there myself. Distance wise it’s actually a hair closer than Finkbine. Whatever you do, with it being Penn State and a high likelihood of a night game, I’d make sure and get there plenty early.

Still can't believe a good thing like that went out of business.....other than covid reasons...but still....what a great thing to go by the wayside.
I still say after this year they’ll bring it back. That’s way too many fans who don’t tailgate to try and park somewhere.

Just watch. Next May Farta will have a big announcement about how he saved the day and brought back the train like he was doing all of us a huge favor.

I'm wondering about my plan of attack getting to the library lot as that I80/I380 intersection is a mess. I'm thinking about coming in on Hwy 1 through Solon.

I'm wondering about my plan of attack getting to the library lot as that I80/I380 intersection is a mess. I'm thinking about coming in on Hwy 1 through Solon.
You are right, it is a mess right now. But, traffic isn't all that affected other than if you are going north on Hwy 218 and trying to get onto I-80 West, that ramp is closed and you have to go up to N. Liberty and circle around.
The other ramps are still open. Assuming you are coming South on I-380 and trying to get onto I-80 E? Won't really be that much different than in other years past, IMO.

Yea, it could be a mess coming in from the west down Melrose, like I do. By shutting down the Express it will add approx 2,000 more cars from my estimation, all coming from the west and north, eventually all ending up on Melrose. I suppose I should allow for more time this first game -- at least it's not an 11:00 kickoff when everyone is arriving at the same time.

You are right, it is a mess right now. But, traffic isn't all that affected other than if you are going north on Hwy 218 and trying to get onto I-80 West, that ramp is closed and you have to go up to N. Liberty and circle around.
The other ramps are still open. Assuming you are coming South on I-380 and trying to get onto I-80 E? Won't really be that much different than in other years past, IMO.

It seems way more backed up the last time I went through there, I'm guessing the line of cars trying to get on I80E was a mile long and this was on a typical Saturday not on a game day.

I'll probably give it a try the first game and search for alternate routes if it's too much of a mess.