No love with kickoff times for the Hawks.

I am surprised by the number of people liking the 11 am games. I like having several 2:30 or night games. I wish they would go back to the 1:05 kickoff times. I also like the idea that was being kicked around about noon kickoffs. I think noon kickoffs would be perfect.

Do you really need 5 hours of tailgating? I assume "tailgating" is a synonym for "getting hammered".

Don't assume, it makes an *** of U and ME. As hard as it may be to believe, a large, large portion of the 70,000+ fans at an Iowa game enjoy tailgating with friends and family before the game and not "getting hammered." 2:30pm start times allow for an easier morning and more convenient tailgating. It may be hard to understand for those that rarely attend games, but it is nice to have a little extra time to sleep, drive, set-up, grill, drink (yes, you can drink at tailgate without "getting hammered"), socialize and talk hawkeye football before kickoff.

If the Hawkeyes are playing football, I will wake up at any hour to see them in action. 85 days till kickoff.

Aren't most battles waged in the morning? ;)

Maybe we should have a few kickoffs at "daybreak". :D

I think its a conspiracy between the Iowa City town council and the Big10 in order to control the drunkards.

There isn't a conspiracy, but I think Iowa City and the university do prefer 11am starts. They have every right to schedule things as they see fit. If enough people don't like it, they won't buy tickets. But many people continue to buy tickets and complain that the change is "ruining Iowa City".

I absolutely hate 11am kickoffs at Kinnick. If you attend the games, it just feels like you're constantly rushed the entire morning. It's like Tailgating Lite. I can't imagine anyone who tailgates liking 11am games over 2:30 games.

I have to admit though I'm partial to 11am kickoffs for games I don't attend.

I hate 2:30 games - but that is just due to the 5 hour drive. 11am games I can come in Friday night, leave after the game and be home to put my daughter to bed. Night games I can come in Saturday morning and head home Sunday morning, but those 2:30 games require 2 nights in Iowa City which makes the wife and daughter sad.

I loved the 1 oclock kickoffs in the old days,especially in late Oct/Nov,but alas, that era is over.
I,too, was excited to hear of the possibility of some noon starts...better than 11.
Personally, I like the 2:30 kickoffs,but it is Hawkeye football come dawn or dusk,so not going to complain too much. Like they say...just win,and I am a happy camper.
In 2002,the Hawks were overlooked,got a ton of 11 oclock kickoffs,got in an 11 oclock groove,and kicked butt...and it was like money in the bank,having that win in hand before the afternoon tilts began. All good. Go Hawks.

The later afternoon or nighttime nationally televised games are cool, but I also like not having to wait all day to watch the Hawks play, so I think I prefer that.

Saturday is usually also my "get out and do stuff" day, so 2:30pm starts kind of divide the day up so it makes it a bit tougher to schedule around. So I prefer either the 11am starts, or a night game vs. the middle-of-the-afternoon start times.

Why do start time threads always have to have posts by somebody playing Mr. Righteous? A lot of us here can tailgate and enjoy drinks and not "get hammered".

I assure you I am not trying to be Mr. Righteous. I asked out of practicality. I have not been to an Iowa game for about a decade, but from what I have read in the threads here, the community seems to have a problem with the party atmosphere surrounding the stadium. My guess it is not from a bunch of guys standing around a grill talking football.

Personally, I have always liked going to noon games because you have more time to party after the game, which honestly is more fun than pre-gaming in my opinion. Pre-gaming means you go to the game tipsy, you get tired in the third quarter after the half-time letdown, and you have to urinate much more, which means you miss 1/3 of the game.

11 am games are the best. I drive from Des Moines, and am able to get back home in time to watch the end of the 2:30 games and watch all the night game. Like someone said.....it doesn't feel like your whole day is shot. I also dislike waiting around all day for the game to start.

Very interesting to me that so many like the early start. I am a season ticket holder so we tailgate and so having 11am starts are a challenge at times. Being older I can say that 1:00 was to me a perfect start time. Noon would be better that 11. Ironically, I think the 11am starts are worse for overdrinkers because many people don't eat much that early in the day before starting drinking. The Hawks loose some TV exposure as well starting early but I'd be there if it was 3am so I guess you take what you get.

I would prefer the 2:30 kick off, as I get off work at 2 pm. But when I attend games, I want 11am kick offs, just because I would get home earlier. I live 2 1/2 hours from Iowa city.

I'm surprised also at the number of fans that like 1100 starts. I much prefer 1200 or 1:00 starts. Hawkeye football should be an event that unfolds slowly and is savored throughout the day. An 11 am start is just too rushed and is over too soon. Take it easy and enjoy the day.

I'm surprised also at the number of fans that like 1100 starts. I much prefer 1200 or 1:00 starts. Hawkeye football should be an event that unfolds slowly and is savored throughout the day. An 11 am start is just too rushed and is over too soon. Take it easy and enjoy the day.

Why not continue to savor the day after the game is over? Especially kick back and enjoy a victory.

Personally I like the prime time start times, although they get me anxious like most of you, I kinda like it. It makes it feel like a big event under the lights be it at Kinnick or elsewhere. The nation is watching and the if the Hawks win its great exposure. I don't make it to many games so for me it has nothing to do with tailgating and everything to do with the atmosphere surrounding the game.

Latest posts