No Canzeri thread yet?

"Another clear illustration of the coaches making choices to help the team now ... they played Alston too. Given our poor depth at LB ... that was obviously a decision that the coaches would have preferred to not have to make. However, to Alston's credit, he must have proven that he was ready to go. Besides, we're so thin at LB now ... if we get hit by any more injuries there ... we could need one of these young guys to step up as the "next man in."

I noticed Alston getting minutes, also, and hopefully they get him on many special teams as well as situational reps, if possible. I'm curious if he isn't basically taking over Bruce Davis' roles. I really wish they'd been able to space Miller, Alston and Marcus Collins, but they're coaching to win, and it's hard to disagree w/ that line of thinking.

Nielsen is a really good player and will be gone after this season. What's more, his primary backup, Getz, is out for the season. Thus, given that fact ... we're definitely are going to need to fill that "hole" at LB next season. And when you look at next season, I think that the only guys who are veritable "locks" are Morris and Kirksey. Furthermore, given those two and given our situation at OLB ... I'm frankly inclined to believe that Kirksey will likely slide over and take over the OLB in 2012.

That then leads to the question, who will take over the WILL, ILB, spot? To that end, Hitchens is a guy who will have the most experience ... however, at this juncture, I don't believe that he's even close to being a lock. Thus, that means that we're going to see a pretty heated battle between Hitchens, DiBona, Alston, and Collins for the open spot. Obviously, who doesn't win the starting spot will be able to help back up at both the MIKE and WILL spots.

Of course, that still begs the question, who will provide us with depth at the OLB spot in 2012? I don't know ... Lowdermilk, Fisher, or maybe even a healthy Getz?

Canzeri is the Goods. He has a distinct possibility of being one of the best Hawkeye running backs ever, right up there with Bob Jeter and Willie Fleming, whom he reminds me of. When I watched his YouTube highlights, I was very impressed, even considering the value of such material. There would be a scramble at the line and suddenly Canzeri would be ten to twenty yards down the field. Incredibly explosive with excellent vision. He reminded me of Gale Sayers in the open field for some reason. I have to agree with the poster during the live thread about running him into a wall late in the fourth quarter. Should take all possible precautions against unnecessary injury.

The future looks very bright offensively. Bullock and Canzeri could provide the balance we need at running back, giving Coker a much needed break every now and then. The passing game is becoming unstoppable. The dangerous trio of receivers, Marvin, Davis, and Martin-Manley, with JV's accuracy is going to be a chore for anyone to stop. The offensive line is coming together very well this season. I am beginning to have high hopes for the Lads this year. Hats off to the Special K's, Ferentz and O'Keefe for opening things up a bit.

Hats%20Off_0_0.jpg

Latest posts