Nine More Positive COVID-19 Tests in Iowa Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if there was a 50 state lock down for 2 to 3 months there's still the second wave. And with AZ being another hot-spot right now it kinda shoots the theory that hot weather will kill out covid.

I'm growing increasingly pessimistic about college football and NFL happening.
Just by statistical probability, eventually a student-athlete is going to die from COVID related complications, and if you think things are weird now wait till that happens.

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-there...lurry-of-pessimism-has-arrived-222609082.html

A coach at the Group of Five level said he felt uncomfortable about the optics of amateur players being subjected to the bubble-like conditions that may be needed to have a successful season.

“There are only 10 to 12 programs that can really afford all the testing and medical attention the NFL is giving guys,” the coach said. “These players aren’t independent contractors. They are 17-to 21-year olds with no union representation. No one is fighting for them.”

--------

Multiple coaches stressed one of the keys to winning this season will be avoiding outbreaks and not having to forfeit games because of an in-season outbreak. Coaches are realizing the risk of large swaths of the roster missing two-week chunks of the season.

“None of us are even practicing right now, and we’re still having to quarantine dudes,” said a third FBS coach. “It’s only the middle of June. Maybe in July we’ll have an answer of what happens during practice. Right now, we don’t have an answer what to do if this happens in fall camp.”

--------

One FBS coach summed up his uneasiness with the risks and complications this way: “I think there will be people who’ll be playing football. I just don’t know for how long or how much.”

The last 72 hours has seen the 23 positive tests at Clemson, 13 positive tests at Texas and Kansas State pausing voluntary workouts for 14 days after 14 positive tests. The University of Houston also paused voluntary training last week after six positive tests when the school didn’t test athletes upon return.

Just by statistical probability, eventually a student-athlete is going to die from COVID related complications, and if you think things are weird now wait till that happens.

Yes, according to the statistics it's a matter of when and not a matter of IF.

Yes, according to the statistics it's a matter of when and not a matter of IF.
And wait till the parents of said athlete sue a school for $100 million because they felt pressured to be at workouts/practices. Say they win, or settle for even $20 or $30 million. Now everyone's getting sued.

Athletic departments got way ahead of themselves thinking there could be sports this fall. Regardless of whether you think COVID is a hoax or not, (several people here) there are huge ramifications for anything that goes even slightly wrong.

And wait till the parents of said athlete sue a school for $100 million because they felt pressured to be at workouts/practices. Say they win, or settle for even $20 or $30 million. Now everyone's getting sued.

Athletic departments got way ahead of themselves thinking there could be sports this fall. Regardless of whether you think COVID is a hoax or not, (several people here) there are huge ramifications for anything that goes even slightly wrong.

But OTOH, not playing football could be a death sentence for many athletic departments. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Very, very interesting Q&A with an attorney who has actual experience dealing with the NCAA and negligence claims...

https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...ins-college-football-coronavirus-liabilities/

We’ve seen some waivers popping up at Ohio State and SMU. How do they factor into this?

They’re not calling it a waiver of liability. I suspect that if someone brought a lawsuit against them, they would probably be waving that pledge in front of the court saying the person signed this pledge.

They presumably are explaining the risks to people — not that anyone alive in this day and age doesn’t understand by now. It could be something that a program could later turn to and say, “You understood the risk, and you decided to do it, so you can’t come and look at us.”

The response to that is going to be:Yeah, but you put me in an untenable situation because had I not played, I could have lost my scholarship. Had you canceled the season, had you canceled the program, you wouldn’t have put me in that box.”

But OTOH, not playing football could be a death sentence for many athletic departments. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
I'm not taking a side either way because I'm not a doctor or a lawyer, I'm just saying that no matter where you sit on the spectrum of COVID being serious/not serious, I don't see how starting to play college football and basketball this fall doesn't end really badly.

Yet nobody wants to really shelter in place for long enough to let this pass... To me it's either all in or all out. Half assing it is still going to get everyone sick. Just at a different rate perhaps but it's still gonna get around.

I think there's so so so many A symptomatic folks out there it's unreal. If we had the ability for everyone to be getting tested all the time we'll see more and more folks have it just aren't getting sick. There's different levels of it. It's not a one size fits all thing.

Everyone wants to preface everything with covering their own ass liability wise. Well for peats sake life doesn't come with a liability waver. Every day you roll out of bed it can be your last for a million reasons. Assume if you leave the house (mask or no mask. social distancing or not) you're going to catch this crap to some degree or another. You're either going to be lucky and it not affect you at all or you may get sick and die with a whole lot of in-between. It is what it is for now. Let's quit acting like if we get 1 case 10 cases, 50 cases all of a sudden going to make a new plan of attack to fight it. We've already tried it and nobody is willing to really do it. Not in the USA anyway so live and let live I suppose. Play ball

It is going to get really interesting on so many fronts. The way we have seen football up to this point is out the window. IF there are games I don't see them being in front of crowds which will help with TV money and maybe you will see more pay per view type games but if there turns out to be no games how many athletic programs will just be gone? Setting aside all the public things and just looking at it from an athletic standpoint how many programs are out there that can sustain a complete year off with no major revenue coming in?

Is the risk of getting ill worth it? The demographic is pretty good for not getting real seriously ill but what about coaches family staff? It is a real slippery slope but can we as a society live with the consequences with either side whether it being some sports or no sports?

Well...If you want football...you have to get it under control now...you have two months to get everyone clean. Then it's going to be a matter of restricting their schedules. All classes will have to be online for athletes...they can only socialize with other athletes and they can't go anywhere.

You want football...you are going to have to control their ability to move like regular 18-22 year olds. It's simple to say...hard to do.

WOW, the "OT: sort of" thread I started got ran over by this and another thread with much worse infection numbers.

Sad to see but were these players quarantined for 14 days before college practice started? I doubt it.

The NCAA needs to dig into its Vatican-like coffers and help pay for a lot of these tests if they want college FBall this fall. Quit holding on to all your money.

Well...If you want football...you have to get it under control now...you have two months to get everyone clean. Then it's going to be a matter of restricting their schedules. All classes will have to be online for athletes...they can only socialize with other athletes and they can't go anywhere.

You want football...you are going to have to control their ability to move like regular 18-22 year olds. It's simple to say...hard to do.

haha, "get everyone clean" us old guys recognize the 1960s-1970s-80s heroin and morphine type language.

Yeah if they think they have players not being infectious I guess they can play but I don't think a bunch of students who have labs can do them online. I know I took plenty of science classes and labs were in person, hands-on, set up equipment, to the lab, and clean things up.

And they want to go get a beer or shot also and meet some ladies.

I love college football and basketball. It’s very bad timing for Iowa fans as the football and basketball teams both have very promising seasons ahead.

Having said that there is no way I see risking thousands or tens of thousands of lives just so we can all be entertained. If we do have round two and it spreads rapidly then all college students will be taking their courses on line.

It’s extremely unlikely we will see football stadiums packed 60,000 or more fans into stadiums with covid out there. Due to the law of gravity social distancing would be almost impossible in the stadiums. Each person sitting four seats apart with ten rows between each row of seats being used. Same with basketball.

Then there is the contact between players practicing with each other and when playing the actual games. There is only one way out of this mess.

VACCINATION.

We may get lucky and get it done in time for basketball but football is highly unlikely. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

If the goal always was "there have to be zero positives among everyone participating in sports no matter whether they're asymptomatic or not", then (a) there was never going to be sports, and (b) they've been lying to the general public about this goal for months now. If that's the goal, just cancel the season and stop wasting my time. We need 50-60 fewer D-1 football programs anyway. Let it burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts